Any leatherworking around here?

MattStub

Reaction score
Handicap
Just got started toying with some leather, more on the stitching side than tooling at the moment. Purchased a yardage book cover from a guy in Washington earlier this year and it got me fascinated in how simple it could be to put together but how awesome they look.

Just need to find some interesting fabrics for backing and quality sources for good leather at this point. Would love to hear from others if there are any around here.

Just got started toying with some leather, more on the stitching side than tooling at the moment. Purchased a yardage book cover from a guy in Washington earlier this year and it got me fascinated in how simple it could be to put together but how awesome they look.

Just need to find some interesting fabrics for backing and quality sources for good leather at this point. Would love to hear from others if there are any around here.

will be following this, I toyed with making my own headcover and yardage book and got sidetracked and never followed up.

In the Vendor's Village or Peddler's Mall near our home there is a booth with tanned leather hides in several different finishes. Near the middle they are about the consistency of a new baseball glove but they are softer and more pliable near the ends.

I too toyed with making my own headcovers, but I would probably be more likely to get some fleece for liner and some wool tweed for the outside. I like old English/Irish type look.

I have made a few things from yardage books to belts to notebooks.
I've begun using higher grade leathers for smaller projects that relate to golf

It's quite fun.

The most difficult part is the finishing. Edge burnishing can be very tricky to make perfect, as well as buffing/polishing.

Cant wait to see what you come up with

Posted on Tapatalk via my Motorola RAZR

Not sure where you live, but Tandy Leather is a great nationwide local source for hides and straps, etc.

I have made a few things from yardage books to belts to notebooks.
I've begun using higher grade leathers for smaller projects that relate to golf

I'm familiar with Acadia Leathers as a source, but any other sources would be great! The guy who put together my yardage book cover pointed me to them to select a leather, and I love their qualities but options are always great!

Not sure where you live, but Tandy Leather is a great nationwide local source for hides and straps, etc.

I live outside of Oklahoma City, stopped by Tandy to look around before I went on vacation, but I wouldn't say the lady who offered to help was the most helpful. Pretty much telling me the only way to start was to use a kit. I'm not a big fan of kits because all of their kits had been cut to size and stitch holes punched. So virtually it's just a stitching template.

Picked up some remnants and made some book marks while on vacation to get the hang of hand stitching. It's quite a pain in the rear to hand stitch something no bigger than 3" I must say. Plans to make a stitching pony this weekend so I can take a stab at stitching up a scorecard holder for a buddy.

Acadia is great. I was going to me tion them but it didn't seem like you were interested in buying larger pieces. They've got some really cool stuff.

Screw what the Tandy lady said. I usually buy small sides that I like just by walking around the store and touching things.

Everything you can possibly want to know is available on you tube. That's how I am learning. I make my designs in Illustrator and send them to my laser engraver to mark the leather before I cut the pieces, but since you probably don't have one of those, a paper stencil works just fine.

Stitching is definitely a tricky thing and having a sewing machine helps. I bought one a year ago and haven't opened the box yet. It's a slow process.
I'm familiar with Acadia Leathers as a source, but any other sources would be great! The guy who put together my yardage book cover pointed me to them to select a leather, and I love their qualities but options are always great!

I live outside of Oklahoma City, stopped by Tandy to look around before I went on vacation, but I wouldn't say the lady who offered to help was the most helpful. Pretty much telling me the only way to start was to use a kit. I'm not a big fan of kits because all of their kits had been cut to size and stitch holes punched. So virtually it's just a stitching template.

Picked up some remnants and made some book marks while on vacation to get the hang of hand stitching. It's quite a pain in the rear to hand stitch something no bigger than 3" I must say. Plans to make a stitching pony this weekend so I can take a stab at stitching up a scorecard holder for a buddy.

7dQUOo-FOFjHGkEz2pcD1QIG9Y-X45xXQY2KSinXgMPIyZXKyBAAUbyuPbTO5_xTTtWQWvCekpUb2cKTW_ewUK9QBiKF9F0ZjmXrINik_yca3i9cKPNWTH8bqOzfxiCZlxEXFjixtKLtzhlWR4MP3di_P_XMLeaUPQxmQjp5FD6BPA1qsX520haSNIUb8umjkwai6PwiASFQz_CsCrHzcrD4_RdtMl8tmRjGrtbJaj0Ap5nCJ-p6ylvbDw9blwEzKEJJf3UGFMVukp9G_rcyd0np8R-Ed3EFSZTXkLQkbzsgkku2-1QC2qpDoQbgIbls6HjERxUTD5tdGiSj263liC7mof1UPmAy2KGA-UM1y27R1RFT6qJ_hBHQEnTWikNTlAr0T45tWDVwaIZCn7tw28fw2sbE2syI15D5DnxHwM1PDr3hQT_dQ63l8c62q_Xx8ReCfPqynrjgoH8BSk6embM_tnK7ppsXQLPdpLJDC1PJf2h_tzVFnM5kzAH5Ex5tI4C7h0o5B59eZb9PND0bmbxPbwb_Kg4unnjg6WmBkZ6CWPYmWje-XFoGxZz_OrnVKo6y36_Vo01-Z1BC_AUA3t4U2w1ynZanFyYre644-iZa3w3GspjQoaCYKQ5DZ3Y=w323-h431-no
UugcCpkRhQZyWnhUYBAuGktW5ErBR9pzg3IRu988VAwIHeGI3MNdRv7fBRIoguDFHuqhLHdqeocFNx80oSS-QnJyhKvSBByNKnMMFj_hlGpSz9QCH5dFDz0PZC8rFnxwX9LZhH6G15H11XjUichvS4JOyfaEyJRw7ZRIfTfi5iXP-qw71cDr2vGRDL35jeAoSLdmWs5NNkkC36imXqOKK7-cn8A3iOIgepfx-1qtnJg54aTcduYTBlG15ZQeqZLF7_5wn5Upv8ddB4B1m7PoHr_OoRsJ_CjZQuMMl3iMkzknXq7sqv3CyD0wLJTBQnrMWF3BpTGscD3CfpK_n_Fr85li_obDSVIibg1G3-RYfS74IawiNt3tWcew4aGnte4b7VKuX7KwOLVnA1pZCtH_U5QjeUTVFRpwKeSgOajNmgq_2js-NuGZRQFFTX3P-MuYLz-k_umRJYy4K6MJpyBsRYZa3kG80ZlUOIMCNcY5wdh1ALk5Qn0XMSDXCtz31qYfW6KzFQWRqvqqDSP0vS4H9yB2-hwLi5niphnSQq0abAqBfOzE_qisdSWdLVeADgr4hKJdo-QJXqozV7ywIangHQYdS2iOhUar4jqAvOy-nWYNuxNSgrxYqOajut8eFnc=w277-h370-no

Small & Simple

Acadia is great. I was going to me tion them but it didn't seem like you were interested in buying larger pieces. They've got some really cool stuff.

Screw what the Tandy lady said. I usually buy small sides that I like just by walking around the store and touching things.

Everything you can possibly want to know is available on you tube. That's how I am learning. I make my designs in Illustrator and send them to my laser engraver to mark the leather before I cut the pieces, but since you probably don't have one of those, a paper stencil works just fine.

Stitching is definitely a tricky thing and having a sewing machine helps. I bought one a year ago and haven't opened the box yet. It's a slow process.

When I told her that I could learn most things I needed from YouTube she looked at me like I was crazy. I just chuckled and told her I built an AR-15 with no kits, nothing but a parts list suggestion and youtube so I wasn't worried about it. I do love the smell of the place that is for sure!

I may take a grab at some Bison Shoulder from Acadia because I love the look and feel of it, and could use most of it up with some simple projects and justify the $90 grab at it. Handstitching actually seems pretty therapeautic to me, working in a fast paced industry its nice to slow things down a bit. Never worked with a sewing machine to be honest, although i'm sure my wife could show me around one.

No laser engraving machine for me, but I would like to find an embroidery machine to do some design stitch work for people. Definitely like the embroidered look over the stamped look personally.

We've got an old cast iron Singer machine that one of my wife's family members was throwing out. Need to get it oiled and take a look at it but it may be up to the task of handling leather more so than a newer machine.

My leatherwork is legitimately rudimentary, but here is scorecard cover I made a couple of years ago just for fun. It fits nicely in my back pocket and I enjoy using it on days when I walk the course.

IMG_6027.JPGIMG_6028.JPG

My leatherwork is legitimately rudimentary, but here is scorecard cover I made a couple of years ago just for fun. It fits nicely in my back pocket and I enjoy using it on days when I walk the course.

I dig it! Rudimentary or not, if it helps serve a purpose and means someting to you that's all that matters in my book!

I just found this thread. I've been doing Leatherworking for a little over 7 years. For me it started when I wanted a simple sheath for an axe and the price was ridiculous. I've now made sheaths for knives and axes, gun holsters, belts, cell phone holster, compass holster for a scout, bracelets /cuffs.. all sorts of things. One large leather side will go a long way. If you have any specific questions then let me know. YouTube videos can be helpful but some of the older instructional books are invaluable.
f85d963ea3b1d2d2d6ad2fa44fb004b8.jpg
7260bc7101baa1b58a47e384d2547986.jpg
b43361e64523bd67b0060eff3acf299d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I just found this thread. I've been doing Leatherworking for a little over 7 years. For me it started when I wanted a simple sheath for an axe and the price was ridiculous. I've now made sheaths for knives and axes, gun holsters, belts, cell phone holster, compass holster for a scout, bracelets /cuffs.. all sorts of things. One large leather side will go a long way. If you have any specific questions then let me know. YouTube videos can be helpful but some of the older instructional books are invaluable.

Awesome man, thanks for the advice!

My brother does a bunch, and my nieces take my deer hides after hunting season to tan and use.

I love that "rudimentary" scorecard holder!

I’ve recently been working on another scorecard holder that I plan to give to a buddy. As you can see from this and my previous post, I’m a big fan of my home state.
01C6C3CF-7F7E-417D-8C99-DE8022BC87FB.jpegDB776FE9-4A5C-42C8-A539-48B35417435F.jpegFC3C2DC8-73AD-4F4A-8286-3E9A3F8FE9BE.jpeg

Back