Jumbo Grips for Regular Sized hands

Reaction score
Handicap
I just started playing golf again after a good 15 year break with maybe 6 rounds. I'm struggling with some hand pain- specifically in my fingers- most noticeably in my left pink (I golf right handed) it now feels very stiff and when I make a fist and release it almost feels like its locking up. I am an avid guitarist and stringed instrument player and I've never really had pain in my hands until golfing.

I dont have big hands- maybe even on the smaller side- I wear a size Med. Large cadet in callaway gloves (that size is too long in the fingers in footjoy) But medium is definitely too small. When picking up different used clubs at the golf store I've noticed how much I like larger grips. They just feel so much more comfortable in my hand- like I can use much less pressure and like I'll have more control by not being able to manipulate the club face as much by twisting my wrists.

When I first started playing again I was gripping the club a lot more in my palm. at this point I was hitting my irons a lot better than I am now after changing my grip to be more in my fingers (my driver has gotten a lot better but that may be more to do with my body movement than grip)

I put a midsized grip on my hybrid that needed replacement- and it barely feels different. (Golf pride tour velvet align- which I love the align thing)
I picked up a club today with a winn jumbo wrap type grip and it felt amazing.

Anyone out there use jumbo grips and dont have jumbo hands? Maybe if I was trying to really maneuver my clubface I could see how this could be detrimental, but I reallly only try to fade around trees in scrambling situations where I can majorly slice it or hook it around a tree right in front of me to get towards the green instead of punching straight out.

thanks for your experience!

I don't have meaningful feedback to share at this point but I am re-gripping a second set of Clevelands with the Winn Oversize ones. This is after picking up a fairway metal with the said Winn grip, which just felt good in the hands. My 1st set of Clevelands has the mid-size Winn Dri-Tac grips, which I also like because of the grippiness.

I'll check back in after I've tried the set with the oversized grips a few times; I'm guessing there'll be some necessary swing and other adjustments.

PS I also play guitar fingerpick-style and have medium-sized hands.

Wynn’s are great for cranky hands because of the materials they use that feel “cushy.” Another consideration are “arthritic” grips that are designed to minimize vibration. Graphite shafts also help reduce vibration. I think there are some gloves that help too. Try gripping the club looser. That helped me.

Wynn’s are great for cranky hands because of the materials they use that feel “cushy.” Another consideration are “arthritic” grips that are designed to minimize vibration. Graphite shafts also help reduce vibration. I think there are some gloves that help too. Try gripping the club looser. That helped me.

+1
ground.png

I don't, but have tried my coaches clubs. He uses Tacki Mac jumbo grips and they seem okay. I have wear a Large glove and am in between standard and mid-size according to Golf Pride. I am normally a drawer of the golf ball, but can only hit fades with my coaches clubs. They are also several degrees flat so it's just as likely that the lie angle is dictating the ball flight for me.

As far as hand pain, you could also try sensicore inserts in the shafts to dampen vibration or graphite shafts if you are using steel.

I was fit by Club Champion into Midsize +2 wraps. Tried a wedge with Oversize grips and loved the feel. Now I have MCC+4 in Oversize and really like how the clubs feel.

Couple of things to keep in mind if you do go to Oversize grips. Depending on the brand, they can be 75-80 gm compared to ~65 gm in Midsize and ~50 gm in regular. May mess up the swing weights of your clubs. The other potential issue could be the release - you may find it difficult to release the club while swinging.

Best to try them out first in just one club.

I wear a small glove. The waggle test large grips feel good. The actual swing is a different story. I swing noticeably slower and get strange face control issues. If you palm the grip then a large grip will feel more comfortable, but it is an individual decision. There isn't a best grip on the market, just a best grip for you.

thanks so much for all the useful info here! Regarding the Winn grips- I've read that they are pretty terrible in the rain- my hands can get sweaty in the heat and I really like the golf pride MCC for grippiness in all conditions. Are winn wraps that bad in wet conditions? Or is their another grip that could be recommended for wet conditions?

Its really looking like I do a lot better with a finger and palm grip too. I found these Tacki Mac "natural golf grips" their advertising says they are NON TAPERED which is better suited to the palm and finger grip style. What say yee on this point?

I have normal sized hands and I like jumbo grips too. To me, they just feel better. If you like them, use them. Theres a lot of hype about what size grip you should use and if it should be based on hand size or what shot shape you struggle with or blah, blah, blah. Just use what you like.

Back