Your Course’s Short Game Practice

This is easily the worst part of the facilities at my course.

There is a good-sized practice green, which is solid for putting. It generally mirrors the speed of the green on the course.

You can chip on the green as well, but we're talking very short chips from either fringe or long rough. There is no real variety of conditions or slope around the green for practicing short game shots. And you can't practice them from any distance both because there isn't room and because there are usually people putting on the green.

There is a "short game" area at the end of the range, which consists of a small green and an area of fairway that stretches to about 100 yards. It also has a bunker. This is fine for practicing shots up to about 100 yards with some caveats. The big one is that the green is not really maintained--it's cut to about fairway length. So if you want to practice flying the ball a certain distance in the air, it works well. But to practice how shots react when they land on the putting surface--a pretty critical factor for a good short game--it's relatively worthless. Same thing for the bunker and chipping. If you want to practice getting balls out of the bunker or rough onto the green, you can do it. But you have no idea how much run out, etc. you are getting. So it's hard to practice any touch. It also has the disadvantage of being about 350 yards from the clubhouse. You can usually grab a cart and head down there, but not always and to walk down requires you to grab a bucket, fill it with balls, and then play frogger as you walk along the edge of the driving range with the landing area of either #1 or #18 on the opposite side.

One putting green with 2 holes and one small chipping green with 0 holes on it.

Unfortunately that’s all we have. Hoping if we join somewhere next year that changes though. I’d love to have some of the options others have said their course has

Of the 3 main courses I play:

* one only has a single large practice green
* one has two practice greens (one intended more for putting, more more for chipping)
* one has two practice greens and a bunker with small green off the side of the range

The place i go has a big putting green with alot of flags and some good slope in it. There is also a nice size green for chipping with 4 flag placements and a large area around that to chip from. And behind that is a tee area with 3 flags about 80-90 yards out to hit at. No holes just the flags in the ground. There is also a big bunker on the side of the chipping green but it needs work it the sand had a lot of rocks so i don't even go in it.

Your Course’s Short Game Practice

We have a 3 hole practice loop that consists of two par 4’s and a par 3. All the 3 holes are set up just like the course. We also have a huge putting green and chipping green. 2 big sand traps around a green for your bunker practice.

9ab9e74135449cdb60d1280ace77ec3a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’ve got a pretty good sized practice green, big enough for 3-4 people to practice if they’re polite and know how to share.

A chipping green with probably 60 yards or so to work with and terrain variances including a big enough trap for 2-3 people to practice without getting in each other’s way.

It’s not perfect, but it’s enough for a good warm up.

We have the standard practice putting green with a lone bunker. We also have a second practice green that allows for shots up to ~50 yds.

None of the courses near me have a short game area :(

We have a regular practice green, a large undulated practice green for pitching and chipping and putting, then a separate short game are where you can work on bunker shots and pitch shots up to about 60 yards. The last area is usually pretty poorly maintained and sounds better than it actually is.

Medium size putting green
Small chipping green with bunker.

Its pretty trash.

One SMALL putting green thats almost in a bowl so there is little room to chip.

I have since last year though convinced them to take a small area behind the cart barns and mow it tight like a fairway with flags at 10, 20, and 30 yards so we have a somewhat useful pitching area.

We have 2 large putting greens plus a good size chipping green with 2 bunkers. The course maintains it well along with the driving range.

Large undulating putting green, second large green with various pitching / chipping / bunker locations allowing up to 65-70 yard pitch shots...downhill, uphill, sidehill lies available

When my club rebuilt its greens several years ago, they added a short game practice area. You can practice shots up to about 75 yards to a greean with 3-4 pins. There’s also a greenside bunker. I need to spend more time there.

My course has a maybe 25 yard wide area that has 1 green with 3 flags and a bunker to play with. From the closer to the to the cart path side there is about 70 yards to the middle of the green, and then there is another 50-75 yards and a few other flags spaced out about ever 15 yards. So gives you some options for basically 115 yards and in (if no one else is around) with the ability to get some decent greenside action from 85 and in.

They charge $10 an hour for use (they provide a shag bag with 60+ range balls in it) or if you have a membership ($235/annually) you get free use of it. Pretty solid and one of the reasons I pay for the membership.

With four courses to choose from, I go to the one that’s not crowded. Heatherhurst has a separate pitching and putting green, but Dorchester doesn’t (though it has a hill you can practice down hill lies on).

Here’s the pitching range at Stonehenge: 2 bunkers and sloping green with 3 flags to aim at. There’s a huge putting green with about 8 holes on it by the restaurant.

765ffb2d703b7481127f8cb97852a273.jpg

I swear if I lived in one of those condos, I’d be out there every night!

What does your course offer for short game practice?

We have two practice greens, a bunker complex, up to 100 yard pitching range (grass...you can set the pins at different locations and yardages to dial in you wedge distances and how the ball reacts out of a variety of lies), along with a 9 hole short course with the average hole about 75 yards.

The local range that I frequent has a short game area with several holes. One has a bunker. It’s free to use if you buy a large bucket.

I don’t use it nearly enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One larger putting only green; then in a separate location there is another green for putting/chipping and a 3rd practice green for pitching off a closely mowed area. The third green also has a deep bunker that wraps around on two sides.

Good size practice green with several pins. To the right of the range are 2 bunkers and a flat and sloped pitch/chip area .

My course has a pretty large putting/chipping green and a bunker/pitching area but I typically practice on the 9th hole bunker though since the practice bunker seems like it never gets worked on like the course bunkers do.

Two of the courses I play at have a short practice hole about 100 yds that I don't think anyone except for a few old timers even know about. I am the probably the only person who ever uses them. The reason they don't get used might be because they aren't advertised and are somewhat hidden as well.

My course has two practice greens, one that is pretty flat and the other that was originally built as an 18 hole putting course. Bunker complex, up to 100 yard pitching range with two greens and bunkers, and finally a 9 hole short course with the average hole about 75 yards.

Back