Your Course’s Short Game Practice

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
What does your course offer for short game practice?

My home course has a bunker on the far right side of the range (not sure what the point is with no target to hit at) but really no short game area.

Mine has a practice green thats about 30 yards deep, front to back, with a pitching area in front of it and a large bunker next to it. Multiple pin locations so you can pitch to various distances. Bunker has a high face for decent sand practice.
Just wish the range balls were better. I sometimes break out the ProV1s there when I'm the only one practicing.
f9307c4f0fc40e72a7c63bf935c77a77.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My course has multiple practice greens and practice bunkers, with multiple pins to aim at. It has an entire performance center where they give lessons. The facilities are really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My course offers short game practice on holes 1-18.

No range or short-game area at my course of choice, only thing they do have is a putting green (no pitching/chipping allowed).

One putting green with 2 holes and one small chipping green with 0 holes on it.

We have a putting green that is pretty big that you can do some chipping around it and then there is a separate green with 3 bunkers surrounding it with plenty of room to practice on the short game.

My home course just got done installing a 3 green short game area this year. I haven't used it yet because the grass is still pretty thin and spotty but I think it will be pretty great. It has a couple of bunkers to practice out of and then of course a separate putting green.

The other course I practice at a lot also has a 3 green layout plus the practice green. I'm a big fan of this practice area, it has 3 or 4 bunkers to practice out of and if you really want can hit shots anywhere from 100 yards and in. The greens are pretty small but work out very well.

Very little to nothing. Very small putting green with 6 holes that average about 5 or 6 feet apart. It is about 15 yards long and 5 yards wide. No bunker and really not enough green to do much practice chipping on. But there is now a practice soccer golf hole beside the putting green that could have been put to better use by expanding the actual putting green.

My course has the best short game practice of any course I have played in or around Louisville. There is a large green with a large section of fairway that stretched up to 40 yards back and then about 20 yards of rough after that. The green has a flat section and a sloped section and a bunker with well kept sand. There is also a green to practice chipping on and a putting green with about 6 different holes on it. The pitching area is awesome though, especially since we move into a house about a 200 yard walk away from it next Thursday. There is a net to hit into, but it would be nice to have a driving range.

I would say it will force me to practice my short game, but I will probably be more tempted to go out and play a few holes when I have a free hour or so instead of practicing like I do now.

None but it's in the plans, not holding my breath.

there's a green with two holes, maybe 75% the size of a "normal" green you would find on the course. it is pretty severely sloped from front to back, and from one side to the other. quasi turtleback. there is a kind of swampy wetland area behind. to the right is the clubhouse and cart return. to the left is a deep bunker with super soft sand. and in front is grass. lots of humps and bumps, really grainy. it gives you the opportunity to practice pretty much any shot up to 40y, except bump-and-runs.

then on the other side of the clubhouse is a big practice putting green adjacent to #1, and just behind #9 green.

it's honestly pretty solid for the limitations they have on land.

We have a putting green that is also used for chipping.

The main range at my club has a short game practice green slightly smaller than what's actually found on the courses. It has 3 sides set up for chipping/pitching, one of which is sloped away from the green. It also has a green side bunker that is consistent with the design of the green side bunkers on the courses, and it has the same quality/amount of sand.

The golf school range (at the same club) has a short game practice green slightly smaller than what's actually found on the courses. It has 2 sides set up for chipping/pitching, one of which slopes away from the green but then back up again so you have varying lies. That side also is separated from the green by a green side bunker you must hit over. The green side bunker wraps around the green and can be used as a fairway bunker because one side faces the golf school range and it's targets (out to 280+ yards). The green side bunker is consistent with the design of the green side bunkers on the courses, has a deeper face than the other practice bunker, and it has the same quality/amount of sand. The side that can be used as fairway bunker is generally packed firmer than the rest of the sand in an effort to be more consistent with the fairway bunkers on the courses.

The golf school range also has a chipping/putting green that is probably two to three times the size of an actual green and has 9 holes cut into it that are rotated regularly. There is a small hill on one side that can give you some varying lie options. The grass here is cut more like the grass around a green on the courses with a fringe and then some areas of rough.

There are 4 courses at the club and all 4 have their own putting greens. All the greens are the same TifEagle Bermuda and are cut/rolled to play as similarly as possible, so the greens are more there for convenience or to practice putting while you wait for your turn on the tee box.

We have three greens, one strictly putting only, other is putting and chipping (mainly chipping), and the other is clear on the other end of the course that used to be an actual hole back in the day that they converted to a practice green with multiple cups and two green side bunkers to hit out of. We also have a great range, target, fairway bunker, bag stands, club washers. If your a member where im at and complain you don't have anywhere to practice your probably the problem.

They have 2 putting greens, and a green for chipping and sand shots, with 2 decent size bunkers.

There are 4 putting greens, but only 2 are open at a time for the others to recover from the heavy traffic they get. There's a very small chipping green with 3 flags, you can hit up to about 35 yards but the green isn't well maintained so there's no real feedback on spin. There's about a 5x5 sand pit at this green too.

We have one putting green, and one for chipping and bunker shots

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

They're building a new clubhouse which took out the two putting greens with a chipping area. There's a tiny putting green now, but hopefully the area will return to what it was or better when the construction is finished. I'd love to have a practice bunker. That is one thing that I miss from being a member at my old club.

Home course has three ”short game areas”
1. Putting green that’s pretty large, plenty of room to chip or pitch to, but only from rough.
2. True “short game area” with a deep bunker, fairway 75% around the green, which is quite small, rough the other 25%. Fairway extends out to around 75-80 yards from two directions, plenty of rough at that distance as well.
3. 250yard long fairway with a small-ish elevated green, 2 bunkers. So basically to practice anything from “going for it - par 5” to wedge and chipping. Your own private range of sorts, since it’s almost always empty.

No, mine doesn't. The closest thing would be a green that's mowed very close to green length about 40 yards from the driving range and 1 bunker close to it. But it's on the driving range.

Mine has a practice green thats about 30 yards deep, front to back, with a pitching area in front of it and a large bunker next to it. Multiple pin locations so you can pitch to various distances. Bunker has a high face for decent sand practice.
Just wish the range balls were better. I sometimes break out the ProV1s there when I'm the only one practicing.
f9307c4f0fc40e72a7c63bf935c77a77.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Nice. I just this week took all my AVXs that are too worn for normal play and drew “P” (for practice) four or five time on each of them precisely so I can use them in short game areas even if other players are practicing. No one will mistake them for their own balls now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a putting green and a seperate chipping green with a green side bunker and a fairway run up similar to many of the actual holes on the golf course. Both are relatively nice, although I wish the chipping green had more open space around it. I always feel like i might hit a car in the parking lot when hitting off the short fairway grass or a house when hitting out of the sand.

My course has a range for 220 and in, a short game area for 80 and in, and putting green. I rarely see people using the short game area. They're usually rapid firing balls at the range. I think I'm one of rhe few people that actually use the short game area.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

We have 4 short game options, a free 4 hole short game course, a decent sized putting (only) green offering a lot of slope (just like the greens on the course), and a pair of smaller chipping/pitching/bunker greens on either side of the range. Both have decent sand traps but they are different in that one has a shallow trap next to a relatively flat green while the other offers a steep shot up over a boarded bunker face to an green elevated about 10 feet above. Both of these offer opportunity to practice basically any type chip/pitch lie but max out at about a 50 yard pitch.

Back