THP Regional Rivalry - Ohio vs Michigan - Sponsored By True Temper

Todays question of the day, and its kinda been touched on off and on over the last few months.

If you make it in (or even if you dont):

Do you have a schedule/routine set to get ready for this event? Does it entail range time, putting green time etc a few times a week? For you is it more time on the course than range? Lessons?

On the course for me for sure but that doesn't mean I won't be at the range. Trusting my swing is big for me so the more shots into fairways and greens I have the better off I am

Todays question of the day, and its kinda been touched on off and on over the last few months.

Do you have a schedule/routine set to get ready for this event? Does it entail range time, putting green time etc a few times a week? For you is it more time on the course than range? Lessons?
Starting in April my golf schedule will like something like this. Monday leauge, Tuesday 18 holes Wednesday range, Thursday range or sub in leauge, Friday 18 holes, Saturday&Sunday skins/cash games with an occasional tournament thrown in.

Currently working out or going to range 4 days a week on my lunch plan on continuing that. In addition I did full TPI assessment last week. Just got my exercise and workout list today. Starting tonight stretching program every night to address some flexibility issues. Workouts will now be golf focused on strength and flexibility issues I have.

Last year I got lessons every 2 to 4 weeks. I would anticipate that being closer to every 4 weeks this year. As the swing change I made last year is almost ingrained. Sharing of video will ensure I don't go of the rails in between lessons.

I am confident I will roll into Regional Rivalry firing on all cylinders. Regardless of whether I get picked or not. I am here to support Team OHIO any way I can.

Milk man thats one heck of a schedule and game plan...good stuff

My routine isn't just for this event its for my golf game in general. I putt and chip almost everyday. I have a putting green at home and another at my office so I use them both. For chipping I do that either in my basement or outside(weather permitting). I am trying to get to the range soon for some big club swings.

It's gonna be simulator golf twice a week until the weather breaks. I'll have 9 hole leagues on Wednesday's and Thursday night's. I'll be getting out on weekends with my usual crowd as well. I had mentioned it before but I'm in need of some distance off the tee so some flexibility and strength exercises are in the works.

Lots of
Short game short game short game

I plan to keep lifting at least a couple times per week once the season kicks off. I'll be playing in my work golf league, so that's 9 holes of match play each week. Practice time will be spent mostly on the putting green and short game area, probably after a small bucket. Right now I don't think lessons will be in the budget.

Forgot to add working with video a few times a month, help confirm what I think I am doing or the old feel isn't real issue.

Lots of range time come spring/summer. Until then putting practice indoors to groove the putting stroke.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

My plan for the year has been in place since November bi-weekly lessons, hitting 100 balls a night at work(300 a week) plus hitting the range when job 2 allows, I'll hit the putting green when I can and play every other weekend and more when the jobs allow.

Edit- I'll also be starting the sklz golf strong program this weekend plus continuing my work out weight loss routine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Figured I would try to give the captains a break from having to think of a question for today and will give it a shot.

Its the final hole of your match, in alternate shot, and you are all tied up on #18 at Boulder Creek. You and your opponent are right in the same spot hitting your 3rd shots to the green (its a par 5), and your shots look like this:

https://golfchannel-a.akamaihd.net/ramp/376/374/12tipsxmas_01_tgl15015_breed_flop.jpg

You are hitting the shot for your team, and have to hit first, before your opponent. Your opponent seems to be a decent chipper, not great, but not bad.
For the purpose of this question, forget about your partner's opinion (obviously I hope you wouldnt in real life):

Do you try to pull off the amazing shot and get it within a few feet? Knowing if you leave it short you dump it in the bunker and likely lose?

Do you play it a little safer and try to hit a good shot/rather than great, and give yourself a 10-15 footer past the pin, saying we have a good chance to make the putt, but I dont have to be quite as precise?

Do you hit it way past the pin towards the back of the green, making sure you are absolutely on the green even if its a 30 footer?

Last edited:

Figured I would try to give the captains a break from having to think of a question for today and will give it a shot.

Its the final hole of your match, in alternate shot, and you are all tied up on #18 at Boulder Creek. You and your opponent are right in the same spot hitting your 3rd shots to the green (its a par 5), from around 30 yards out, but you have to hit before your opponent, and you are the one hitting the shot. The pin is tucked right over a bunker in the very front of the green. Your opponent who is hitting the shot is a decent chipper/pitcher. Not great, but not bad.

For the purpose of this question, forget about your partner's opinion (obviously I hope you wouldnt in real life):

Do you go right at the pin saying if we make birdie we win the match, but knowing if you don't pull it off you likely lose by dumping it in the bunker?

Do you play it a little safer and try to give yourself a 10-15 footer past the pin or left or right of it, saying we have a good chance to make the putt, but I dont have to be quite as precise?

Do you not even look at the pin and play the safe shot way past the pin or left/right and hope your opponent screws up/play for a likely tie.

Always go at the pin, unless for some odd reason you can't.

But I think I'm alternate shot you don't get a choice of who's shot it is, it's whoever's turn is up.

Right at the pin, if there is not a bail out area to either side without bunker... but just make sure you hit it to carry!

Always go at the pin, unless for some odd reason you can't.

But I think I'm alternate shot you don't get a choice of who's shot it is, it's whoever's turn is up.

Right. I meant you personally are the one who is hitting the shot. And the "odd reason" you cant, is because its a very difficult shot, with not much green to work with over the bunker to get it close.

Its the final hole of your match, in alternate shot, and you are all tied up on #18 at Boulder Creek. You and your opponent are right in the same spot hitting your 3rd shots to the green (its a par 5), from around 30 yards out, but you have to hit before your opponent, and you are the one hitting the shot. The pin is tucked right over a bunker in the very front of the green. Your opponent who is hitting the shot is a decent chipper/pitcher. Not great, but not bad.

Do you go right at the pin saying if we make birdie we win the match, but knowing if you don't pull it off you likely lose by dumping it in the bunker?

Do you play it a little safer and try to give yourself a 10-15 footer past the pin or left or right of it, saying we have a good chance to make the putt, but I dont have to be quite as precise?

Do you not even look at the pin and play the safe shot way past the pin or left/right and hope your opponent screws up/play for a likely tie.

I'll answer my own question and say I'd play it slightly safe/ but not overly so and try to give my team the 10-15 footer. I'd consider myself a good chipper, but not the absolute best. Im not gonna try the very high risk shot, that might be all or nothing in that situation. I'll be happy giving my partner a very makeable putt, and putting pressure on my opponent to do the same.

Right. I meant you personally are the one who is hitting the shot. And the "odd reason" you cant, is because its a very difficult shot, with not much green to work with over the bunker to get it close.

But if you hit away from the flag, you will probably still have to hit over the bunker to have a putt, and with that said are you really going to get it into 15'. I know it's all theoretical as we don't have the shot in front of as.

So with that, I'm still going right at the pin.
Unless my partner says he'd prefer a putt from a different part of the green.

I'm going at the pin every time or telling my partner to! I have confidence that my partner or I will pull the shot off. I'd hate to lose a match because I was playing for my opponents to falter.

Last edited:
im going for the center of the green and i want to play against anyone whos going at the flag. Par is very overlooked in match play and ill take it every single time

I'm not very good with computers, so dont know how to post the pic directly into my post. But this is the type of shot I'm imagining. To the front pin on the green there. To get it really close you have to pull off an A or A+ shot. Give me the 10-15 footer all day rather than trying to land it on the fringe/barely on the green and get a kick-in.

https://golfchannel-a.akamaihd.net/ramp/376/374/12tipsxmas_01_tgl15015_breed_flop.jpg

I think my confidence while standing over the shot plays a role.
How have I been performing on these shots during the round up to this point?
What would my partner prefer my approach to be?
Maybe my opponents are playing well, or poorly affecting my perceived need to hit the perfect shot.

Standing here now, I go for it.
I have a decent short game IMO, and feel good about that shot.

im going for the center of the green and i want to play against anyone whos going at the flag. Par is very overlooked in match play and ill take it every single time

Agreed. Especially in alternate shot, in an all square match. Confidence is definitely not lacking in here, along with the 200+ par 3 shot.

I'm not very good with computers, so dont know how to post the pic directly into my post. But this is the type of shot I'm imagining. To the front pin on the green there. To get it really close you have to pull off an A or A+ shot. Give me the 10-15 footer all day rather than trying to land it on the fringe/barely on the green and get a kick-in.

But you'd still be going at the pin on that shot. There really isn't a safer play away from the pin( looks like more bunker to carry). On that shot. I'm going at the pin with the intention of getting it as close as possible. Landing it in the fringe probably not. Trying to land it short and let it release to/past the hole, for sure.

Lots of range time come spring/summer. Until then putting practice indoors to groove the putting stroke.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

You will not be getting off that easy.

But you'd still be going at the pin on that shot. There really isn't a safer play away from the pin( looks like more bunker to carry). On that shot. I'm going at the pin with the intention of getting it as close as possible. Landing it in the fringe probably not. Trying to land it short and let it release to/past the hole, for sure.

Ok I will edit my original post. Just trying to lay out a hypothetical here. I'll take out the part about going left/right. Are you purposefully trying to get that shot as close as you possibly can, or are you giving yourself some room for error by going past the pin, and by how much etc.

Maybe it was a bad question.

Middle of range, no issue with 10 to 15 foot putts

BIG issue if I do something dumb and put my partner in the sand

Ok I will edit my original post. Just trying to lay out a hypothetical here. I'll take out the part about going left/right. Are you purposefully trying to get that shot as close as you possibly can, or are you giving yourself some room for error by going past the pin, and by how much etc.

Maybe it was a bad question.

Definitely not a bad question, gets every thinking hypotheticals. And as CJ said its depending on how you're playing that day. If you've stubbed chips that day, that will be on your mind. But as we sit right now, I'm going at the flag, trying to give my partner the best putt I can, to win the match.

Back