Callaway XR 16 Fairway Wood - THP Review Thread

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
In for review is the latest fairway wood offering from Callaway Golf.

To give you a quick rundown on the technologies that are powering this club, I will step aside for Dr. Alan Hocknell

The XR 16 Fairway Wood builds on the category-defining face cup technology that has helped Callaway achieve the #1 fairway wood position in golf. The XR 16 Fairway Woods feature a design that is bigger, hotter, and more forgiving with our lightest crown for even more ball speed and distance. The line of metalwoods will be available in a 3+(14), 3(15), 4(17), 5(19), 7(21), 9(23) and 11(25). These will be available at retail on 1/29/16 for a price of $229.99

In Hand Pics:

i-58mDTk7-L.jpg

i-86bq4sN-L.jpg

i-TBXShC8-L.jpg

i-sc5X4rb-L.jpg

i-kgjtGfc-L.jpg

i-CZ5GB2F-L.jpg

i-Ghk6bvp-L.jpg

i-R4MGpD6-L.jpg

i-mj7NXRP-L.jpg

i-mkvXb2g-L.jpg

• Staff
Some quick comparisons to 816

i-nCtXvvk-L.jpg

i-TwSPzpC-L.jpg

i-7DFRfms-L.jpg

Great looking fw. Looking forward to your thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may be something odd to notice, but I love the head cover. I have no doubts this thing is a bomber

Great photos Dean! Is it as closed in the 2nd photo as it looks?? Or just an angle..

• Staff
Definitely a bigger footprint all around it seems. I know it's minor, but Callaway is killing it with the headcovers lately

They look great. They really hit a Homer with the XR badging.

Definitely a bigger footprint all around it seems. I know it's minor, but Callaway is killing it with the headcovers lately

Agree with the headcovers and I normally use a different brand headcover on my driver because I never like the one that comes with it.

I still haven't sent my cracked sole XR Pro 4 wood in that is under warranty so maybe if I send it in now they will send me the new model. I do love what Callaway has been doing with their FW woods - they will be in my bag for the foreseeable future.

Clean! I may make the move to that based on the shaft alone.

Thats a good looking FW

I really like that head cover! Any chance you can compare this to the V series 3W? I hit the V series better than any other recent callaway 3W offering. Also forgive the uninformed question, but what is the difference between the 3+ and 3, other than the 1* of loft?

I like that they offer a heavier 70g option at no charge.

I've always preferred the head size/shape of the regular models vs the pro models. I love the options Callaway has with their FW options.

I know it's a small detail, but lately callaway has be knocking their stock head covers out the park, well done!

I like this club. Interested on your initial thoughts and I think we have similar swing speed and type. I like the alpha 816 and if this is easier to hit I could see it swapped into the bag

Really wished the KK TiNi was a no cost upcharge, been a fantastic shaft in other recent Callaway offerings.

Good looking FW and it does look a bit larger than the 816.

Loved the XR, really looking forward to following along.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

this will get some swings tonight during my sim league. Really looking forward to it. Big fan of the 816 line, and if this is easier to hit off the turf I will be thrilled.

Great looking club. Not in the market for a new 3w but this one looks sweet

this will get some swings tonight during my sim league. Really looking forward to it. Big fan of the 816 line, and if this is easier to hit off the turf I will be thrilled.

Any thoughts yet?????

Having seen a little bit about these clubs I am tempted to give them a swing to see how they compare to my old RBZ 3W and 5W as I really like my 5W so have not been tempted to change these last few years

I really like that head cover! Any chance you can compare this to the V series 3W? I hit the V series better than any other recent callaway 3W offering. Also forgive the uninformed question, but what is the difference between the 3+ and 3, other than the 1* of loft?

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I think the 3+ has a slightly deeper head as well like the 3-Deep?

1 outing with it in the books, done on an AboutGolf simulator.

Initial thoughts are this club is exactly what I was hoping for it to be. Easier to hit off the deck than the 816 is for me. Does not have as heavy of a feel/sensation at impact to me. The forgiveness on it is crazy good. Not sure I hit the center of the face more than 2-3 times, and yet the results were all consistently positive. Something about the matte-black finish that I enjoy more in a fairway wood than I do a driver, so of course I like how it looks at setup. Distance wise, it was up there with the 816 when hitting off a tee, which is great because I find that 3 wood to be really good off the tee for me. Sound was kind of hard to decipher with all the other noise going on, plus it's hard to get a great feel for sound when in a booth because everything seems more intense sounding.

Hoping for a LM session outside with it tomorrow or Sunday. Will compare it directly to the 816, and perhaps my trusty Big Bertha '14 3 wood.

Back