The Powerball and Mega Millions Wanna win it thread

I am glad I am part of the (s)

Also, 30 million a year? Sounds like a decent salary for a Staff Writer.

Heck yes you're the (s).

I think I could make a living on that lol

Heck yes you're the (s).

I think I could make a living on that lol

Gonna need more acreage so you can build the indoor driving range that will house the flight scope.

Depends on the lump sum rate of return over the time period of the annuity. You can figure it out, tho, and there is a break even point.

I look at things this way - the tax rate on your winnings will be a one time hit. The tax on the annuity is every year. If you think the tax rate will go down, then take the annuity. If you think the tax rate will go up, take the lump sum (as long as the return on investment over the life of the annuity is the same).

Personally, I believe my tax rate will go up, I believe that I can do better than the annuity rate of return, and that I want to control my money from the beginning - therefore, I will take a lump sum.
The other thing I read is that if you kick the bucket while getting the annuity, your estate will get hit with a whopping tax bill.

I'd take the lump sum. Talk about life changing! We're only buying tickets in SC though. It's a state where you can claim the prize anonymously. You can't do that in NC. If we won in NC, I think I'd collect the winnings and then change my name about a dozen times just to keep people off my scent.

If I won, I'd definitely do endowed chairs at both my alma maters (University at Buffalo and University of Oklahoma). The wife said she'd build a building at the college she went to. I think I'd also build a new Gothic styled cathedral for the church we attend. After that, not sure what we'd do with the money. Start to invest wisely and just live off the interest. I wouldn't quit right away, but I don't see me working more than ten more years ... too much golf to be played while I'm still young!

Ohio is one of the few States that would allow a winner to remain anonymous. I would be hard pressed to want to become overly public about it if I did win.

Then again, all they'd need to do is log into THP to know..

You can in Kansas as well, and I would definitely do that. A group of people would know, but not very many.

I didn't know this about Ohio. I will definitely be claiming anonymously. Well after I get "my people" set up and ready.

I don't see any scenario where I continue to work in my field, however I would start to invest in smaller golf companies to see if they can make a difference. My children would not see a dad sitting in a golf cart all day every day, but there's no way I'm working in an office all week ever again.

I'm with you. I will invest in the current company I work for, because I've been here for 14 years and I want to see it continue to grow. But I think I'm getting into Real Estate buying, selling, and flipping when I win.

I'd defiantly build a modest home that would have a pretty large Man Cave with indoor driving range with all the goodies.

Also, I'd get a Winter home on some golf course called The Hideaway, and Membership to go along with it. You all are invited to stay in the guest room and join me for a few rounds! My treat, of course!

I'd defiantly build a modest home that would have a pretty large Man Cave with indoor driving range with all the goodies.

Also, I'd get a Winter home on some golf course called The Hideaway, and Membership to go along with it. You all are invited to stay in the guest room and join me for a few rounds! My treat, of course!

It might get a little full in that guest room if we all come out at the same time. You might want to invest in some bunk beds. LOL

It might get a little full in that guest room if we all come out at the same time. You might want to invest in some bunk beds. LOL

Oh, good point! Maybe I'll just buy the house NEXT to mine and we can call that THP West! Still....my treat! lol

This showed up on my Facebook feed.

923b907d7e612b15ecb39c9f172d7c6a.jpg

I think we need to invest more in math education.

Ohio is one of the few States that would allow a winner to remain anonymous. I would be hard pressed to want to become overly public about it if I did win.

Then again, all they'd need to do is log into THP to know..

I'd definitely want to remain anonymous. There was a friend of my parents who won a million in the lotto, which is still very nice, but peanuts compared to this. He had family, friends, scammers, and everyone else coming out of the woodwork asking for money. He also had threats against him and his family. I can easily tell people no, but when my or my families safety starts to be an issue that's a problem.

blu, that confirms my intent to donate to better education practices.

True! I think I already confirmed the incorrect logics of this math....again...I'm a Dumb@ss. lol

I saw the 4.33 million schpiel on my FB feed as well. I wanted to say something, but what's the use? If they can't bother to do the math, why should I do it for them (and the dozen or so people who agreed with them)?

Last edited:
$1,300,000,000 / 300,000,000 = $4.33

I wish in NY the lotto winner could stay anonymous. They say the first few years after you win are usually hell with lawsuits, threats, moneygrabbers etc. Even with all that bad stuff I will be buying my tickets.

So I'm told that our work group pot won $16 on this last drawing! BOOM! So that will get reinvested and I'm SURE we'll have another work pot come this Wednesday.

I wish in NY the lotto winner could stay anonymous. They say the first few years after you win are usually hell with lawsuits, threats, moneygrabbers etc. Even with all that bad stuff I will be buying my tickets.

We can at least set up an LLC that will claim the prize. I think the winner should be able to stay anonymous in any state. Especially with a prize of this size.

It's at $1.5 Brazilian now. Still 36 hours away, so expect it to go higher.

Looks like here in Cali you dont pay State tax on the winnings, which is huge because now I can get that G6 I was on fence with.

So I could give a million bucks to my 500 favorite people and still be a billionaire. Unreal.

Back