Golf Course Greens: Aeration & Sanding, should you told before you buy green fee's?

They should and if they don't I will usually say something. Nothing is worse than putting on newly punched greens

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

i would follow up the OP question with....

if they told you when you called for a tee time "the greens were aerated/sanded yesterday" would you still make the tee time?

I agree that they should inform you that aeration has been done to the course.
As others have said, by not informing those going out to play, you are misleading those golfers.

Condition should be disclosed

I think a course should definitely give you a heads up. I've seen some courses that will post their aeration schedules on their website which seems helpful. At least the information is out there and it's not a surprise when you show up.

Conditions should be disclosed - Usually we're in spring or fall rates when aeration is going on, so there's a discount anyway.

At the very least it would be nice to know as it really changes the game on the greens. Any discount off the regular rates at the time would be a nice gesture by the course and might get players to come back because they were treated right instead of getting annoyed and maybe not come back because of it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

i would follow up the OP question with....

if they told you when you called for a tee time "the greens were aerated/sanded yesterday" would you still make the tee time?

That depends. Sometimes I will sometimes I won't. Depends on if they're reducing the cost (if not I'm probably not playing) depends on the availability of other options, depends on my mood somedays.

I think they should tell you and reduce green fees.

I feel they should tell you before you pay. Discount is appreciated as well.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I was planning a golf trip last year, and months ahead of time when i called the multiple courses we were playing they told me when they were doing course maintenance. So I moved the trip up 2 weeks to make sure we missed it. They also had it posted on the course calendar at multiple locations.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

If I call in and book a t time, most of the courses around here will give me a heads up that the course has been recently aerated.

However, when I book on golf now, they never mention anything, which is fine. Once one course starts aerating, most others have as well.

I think they should make you aware at the time of booking. Then you can decide whether to deal with it or find somewhere else. No fun finding out on the first green.

The pro shop should tell you this when you make the tee time and you should not be charged full price. IMO a well managed course does this. I get emails from some saying their will be aeration and what the special price is.

If I call in and book a t time, most of the courses around here will give me a heads up that the course has been recently aerated.

However, when I book on golf now, they never mention anything, which is fine. Once one course starts aerating, most others have as well.

Just want to mention this here. It's not the fault of the golf course that it's not disclosed on GolfNow. I will add the note about it to the tee sheet program we use, which also puts it on our website bookings too. It's supposed to go on GolfNow and TeeOff but it doesn't always. Sometimes does and sometimes doesn't.

Golf Course Greens: Aeration & Sanding, should you told before you buy green ...

Golf Course Greens: Aeration & Sanding, should you told before you buy green ...

I played Bayonet/Blackhorse near Monterey, CA and they didn't offer a discount, instead they offered a voucher to come back and play the second course for free. This was two weeks after the aeration and it was certainly above and beyond what was expected.

As to the original question....yes, any changes to the normal play should be disclosed. Shameful when it's not.

Agree with the majority of sentiments.

Yes - disclose. Yes - discount.

It does stink when booking a tee time and any maintenance issue is not revealed. I get pissed if there is no mention of construction or aeration/sanding, usually I just do not go back to that course (although I understand that is not always an option).

I played Bayonet/Blackhorse near Monterey, CA and they didn't offer a discount, instead they offered a voucher to come back and play the second course for free. This was two weeks after the aeration and it was certainly above and beyond what was expected.

As to the original question....yes, any changes to the normal play should be disclosed. Shameful when it's not.

I like that a lot. Would be a great to have a replay voucher rather than a discounted rate. I would go for that for sure, although I would expect them to limit the times for the replay.

Yes they should tell you.

I've had a couple of occasions where it wasn't disclosed and payed full green fees to find out later. But for the most part, courses have been good about notifying and updating their site. Sucks when you're not told about it. Do you go back and ask for a refund and not play?

Yes, I think we should be told before the round. As well as have a discounted price until they are back in good shape again. That's just my opinion though.

Given in Wisconsin we have seasonal spring and fall rates, that's usually when courses aerate up here. The rates are already discounted because courses are not in tip top shape.

So I say, no on the discounts. Rates are already discounted. I don't need to be told either. I know it's part of greens maintenance.

They courses around here are normally not saying if the greens have been aerated but it's always the same time of the spring or fall when it occurs so I always ask during those months. Discounts are generally offered but not all courses aerate the exact same week so I've never had trouble avoiding freshly aerated greens.

I like that a lot. Would be a great to have a replay voucher rather than a discounted rate. I would go for that for sure, although I would expect them to limit the times for the replay.

I agree. I was blown away at the offer, especially because greens fees are north of $100. The only limitation was that it must be done before the end of the year (originally played in June). We ended up playing on a Saturday morning in December.

Plachinco golf is my favorite.. but never at full price!

Back