TOP 10 Bad/Funny Things That Can Happen On A Golf Course

I topped my tee shot at a local DMV round with THPers on the first hole. Been there done that

I hit it fat in a par 3 with a creek about 50 years in front of the green. We drove across, thinking I had cleared it. I hadn't. I walked back across to take my drop. The cart was across the creek to my left, the hole across the creek to my right. I somehow both hit it thin and yanked it left. It went across the creek, hit the wheel of the cart, knocked the hubcap off, came back across the creek, and landed about five feet from where it had been.

Pull the wrong club on your approach shot.
150 yards? I'll go with my 7 iron.
Beautiful shot dead on line, drops 10' in front of the green and 30' short of the pin.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Beautiful shot dead on line, drops 10' in front of the green and 30' short of the pin.

Haha I did that before. Except it was a par 3. Hit what I thought was one of the most solid 9 irons in my life. Watched the ball soar dead over the pin and said "it's all over it!" Watched it land in the hill 30 yds past the green. Looked and saw it was a 6. Haha

I have been known to to pull my 9 iron instead of 6 or vice versa.

I was on the fringe of the 10th hole par 5 in two, chipping from the rough to a tight pin. I pulled out my LW and chipped with my 6 iron and watched the ball roll all the way off the green. The 6 iron was in the slot directly above the LW. You would have thought I would have noticed the difference in length or look, but no. I didn't. I had a total brain fart. I ended up with a bogey.

Spitting out false teeth while yelling Fore... ha ha that's funny.

My game disappears at random periods throughout a round.

I can play a string of 3-6 holes really well and then just have the wheels come off for 2-3 holes in a row.

The oddest part is that I'm not someone who allows poor shots to follow me around. I'm used to them by now, so... when they come, I just figure it's time to recover. But, when the wheels come off... they come completely off for some reason.

Example:

I was playing in the third and final round of the Amateur Golf Tour National Championship last year in Hilton Head. I began on the 15th hole and had a rough go of the first few holes. I got to 18 and finally 'settled down' for a bit.

I played holes 18 through 5 in 1 over par. The conditions were tough that morning... pretty cold and extremely windy. That 6 hole stretch was very likely one of the best played stretches of my career (I'm a 16.7 handicap, so... yeah). The lone bogey I had during that stretch was the result of a drive on #2, a par 5, finding a hazard.

On #6, I hit a great drive and then a layup with my 6 iron right where I wanted to leave it. I then fell apart. From 85 yards or so, I tugged a gap wedge into a hazard and ended up with a double bogey. I just couldn't recover from there. I played 6 through 10 in 9 over par. If I had played bogey golf on those holes, I would have finished in a tie for 20th, which would have put me 'in the money' for the tournament. Instead, I settled for a tie for 33rd.

It's a common theme throughout my rounds... especially over the last year or so. I'll have a good stretch and then I'll forget what I'm doing and I'll blow up my chances at a great (for me) round.

It's certainly bad... and at this point, it's become kind of funny as well.

Hopefully I get over it this year and start putting together solid rounds.

Back