Iron shaft weight range, what is yours?

I've tried shafts from 60-120g in my irons. I've found anything under about the 85g to be too light long term. My current sweet spot seems to be in the 100-110 range but would like to try graphite in the 95g range.

I've found that I am most successful between 110 and 125 grams. Anything heavier and it slows down my swing too much, too light and I find it tougher to control. That 15g range though had A LOT of shafts in it too.

Heavy shafts, x-flex, shenanigans. #Internet
I have an X-flex shaft in my bag, currently. High lofted hybo + x flex = fun to hit.

#misslelauncher

I honestly have no idea what my preference is. The best golf I ever played was with 99 gram steel shafts. The best iron shots I ever hit were with 85 gram steel shafts. I am currently playing 128 gram steel shafts that I was fit in to…

I've enjoyed anything I've hit in the 105-115 range but would like to give some 95g shafts a serious look.

This is a good question and I can't answer fully. I have tried a good amount of shafts. Weights and style (steel, graphite). And I have found I prefer a light to mid weight shaft. Now I'm not sure what weight my shafts are as its not printed in them an dive never looked it up. Pro launch axis platniums.

115-120 for me.

125g.

For lighter shafts were are you putting the additional required weight?, hopefully not in the shaft tip moving CG high heal side, and your miss is toe side...if so try lead tape on the muscle...looks bad, but preforms best there.

Unless your build is longer shaft length....

125g.

For lighter shafts were are you putting the additional required weight?, hopefully not in the shaft tip moving CG high heal side, and your miss is toe side...if so try lead tape on the muscle...looks bad, but preforms best there.

Unless your build is longer shaft length....
So every single oem out there is incorrect in how they add weight to hit specific swing weights in their irons?

I wonder if I'll notice the weight difference moving from Nippon 8950 shafts (91 grams in S) to NS Pro Modus3 105

I believe the flex profile is more what people like rather than weight... I have gamed 110 to 130. I am going to tinker with 105 (modus 3 in x) later this season or early next season. But I have been gaming 120g program f15 and I adore them

So every single oem out there is incorrect in how they add weight to hit specific swing weights in their irons?

Do you think its incorrect?, what your feeling on it...
Weight in the hosel cant be seen, IMO there is no incorrect way. There is not many options, (unlike drivers) other than lead tape to locate the additional weight needed to your preferred location. Would the average golfer notice?...depends on them... how much weight, sensitivity to it. For me, I do notice the added power a iron has with lead tape behind placed the ball. With newer iron designs they are adding tungsten weight out on the toe side, every iron has its own design and CG. You can also negate required head weight needed by installing a lighter grip to get more SW. Taylormade did previously make the screw in weight on the iron head, as same heads are designed to fit a wide array of shaft weights, or adjust manufacturing tolerances

I have played a wide range - something like 80 to 115. They have all been just fine. It usually takes me a range session or two to acclimate to the feel but after that it is all good.

Back