A Gearhead's Fantasy

RetiredBoomer

Reaction score
If you could get the OEM's to give you exactly the clubs you wanted, made from the very beginning to your fit-metrics, do you know what those club-head metrics would be?I mean right now, without a visit to the launch monitor.

Attachments

• From Scratch Specs.jpg
    From Scratch Specs.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 0
I don't need that much detail.. At all.

Driver 10.5
3W
5W
Hybrid
5-GW 1 degree flat
SW, LW 1 degree flat

Pretty simple

Driver 10.5
3W
5W
Hybrid
5-GW 1 degree flat
SW, LW 1 degree flat

Pretty simple

Well thanks to the GRANDADDY you know that information already. Most people don't take th time to get fit and find out exactly what they need. I know I've never done a full fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No clue. I've never had a proper fitting.

I've never been fully fit, but whatever changes I would need could be done after the fact. I have never had an issue playing any standard driver or woods, and irons/wedges can be adjusted for lie angle after the fact. it's not an issue for me, but if I'm ordering irons I typically go at least a degree flat. I'm right about mizuno standard for lie angle, which is 1-2* flat depending on the company outside of mizuno.

A Gearhead's Fantasy

Driver 10.5
3W
5W
Hybrid
5-GW 1 degree flat
SW, LW 1 degree flat

Pretty simple

I'm with you

And of course heads launch differently and fly differently. People always assume loft is loft and it's the sole factor in how a ball flies and like you have learned it's just not the case.

Thanks to #TheGrandaddy this was done with Callaway. Clubs built to my specs.

I have no clue the metrics I would need as I have never been fit. And as it is I can use off the shelf clubs and hit fine. Wouldn't the specs also depend heavily on the heads being used? As every club head will launch differently and the shaft would cause changes as well? Correct me if I am wrong but this is my understanding.

I'm with you

And of course heads launch differently and fly differently. People always assume loft is loft and it's the sole factor in how a ball flies and like you have learned it's just not the case.

More what I am getting at is the average golfer doesn't need lie angles to the nth degree with the woods and all of that. Paralysis by overanalysis. Swing the club

I can pick up off the rack clubs and play immediately--if they were made sometime prior to 1985. Change to senior shafts now in 2016 and I'll be good.

The standard specs changed radically since then, not just with lofts, and seniors like myself, I'm sure, recognize it the most.

I'm actually in the process of trying to put together a set as suggested in my graphic. It will almost certainly be my very last set.

If you could get the OEM's to give you exactly the clubs you wanted, made from the very beginning to your fit-metrics, do you know what those club-head metrics would be?I mean right now, without a visit to the launch monitor.

No, and the reason is spot-on with JB's post. Not every clubhead will have the same launch characteristics for my swing, so that could change dramatically depending on the clubs I look at.

I'm with you

I'd rather be fit with existing gear, I trust the OEMs to know better than me.

I still dont understand why one would stick with clubs from the stone age though

The emphasis on launch angle with younger players is very interesting and informative.

My eye is club head sensitive. The club head has to fit my eye and the fine tuning can be done with shaft.

It's entirely possible, I infer from these posts, that I could be presented with a club head perfectly suited to my game if I gave it a try, and my own prejudices as to what I want to see and how I want it to set up at address will preclude my even trying it.

A perfect example is shaft droop with long shafted drivers. The lie angles are upright to compensate for the droop with 45" and longer clubs. The toe points to the sky at address and I stop caring about shaft droop at all. Give me a 43" driver that sets up the way I want to see it and that's the end of the story from my perspective.

They don't call us grumpy old men for nothing!

I am at a lose as to why you are seeing the toe pointing at the sky, are you very short? or keep your hands really low at address? Honest question not busting your chops. I am fast approaching the old man side of most of the folks on this forum and embrace the new tech for all its worth and have never yet had any club with the toe pointing at the sky, unless I have fallen down for some reason.

#ItsInTheBag

#TheGrandaddy

#ItsInTheBag

#TheGrandaddy
This, custom fit by Garret, and it was very different from what conventional wisdom and other experts had told me.

Heavier driver shaft than I'm used to yielded more distance AND a more predictable flight.

Lighter yet slightly stiffer iron shafts yielded a tighter dispersion and better feel.

Would never have guessed these results. Thanks Callaway, and thank you Garrett!

EDIT: and thank you THP for giving me an opportunity to enjoy the pinnacle of all golf experiences!

Back