formula8

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I was practicing this one today. Ball sitting slightly down 2 feet into the rough with 6 feet of fringe to also carry. Pin is 35 feet onto a green that runs slightly away from you. First 15 feet of green are relatively flat but a ridge runs through and it starts dropping off after that. Any ball left short will leave an uncomfortable putt. Get a little aggressive and you can be 15 feet by.

I had the best luck landing a PW 5 feet on to the green and letting it run a few feet by the hole. Played off the back foot with a square face and trying to get clean contact and not eaten up by the rough.

How would you play it?
95e9c7de86bcc56a996944791a8cab8b.jpg
60401bf19af024b1a31ab6ad2d003a83.jpg

I would hit my 62 get out of jail shot of I'm swinging good, if not swinging good i would do like you and try and pop it out for the roll out

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

little sweeping scoop with a 60 so it catches high on the face, pops up and lands just after the ridge

if there's no room to get the clubhead under the ball, 60 back of stance and punch it for a pop and roll

I'm not expecting spin in any scenario

I think a 50* back in the stance with a cut chip would be my best shot. The ball comes out low with some spin so I could control the speed.

how did you write all that stuff on the grass?............. If i was behind you I would have kicked your ass.

just a little of my poetic skills there:alien:

Ok so...either my 58Lw or my 54sw depending on what I feel and sense when there in person. If running away downhill seems to be too much an issue then believe it or not I am capable of decent at cut/chip if there is enough room under the ball which there looks like there is. But there i some yardage here imo to work with so it looks like not too much problem just chipping this on the softer/easier side.

I think thsi shot calls for some roll, I'll probably take my cbx 48* and try to land it about half way there

56, try and get a little spin on it, let it feed down the ridge. Worst case is it's 5-10 feet by but back up the hill.

little sweeping scoop with a 60 so it catches high on the face, pops up and lands just after the ridge

if there's no room to get the clubhead under the ball, 60 back of stance and punch it for a pop and roll

I'm not expecting spin in any scenario

Landing after the ridge proved to be dangerous and could put you way by the hole. I did try this shot and it worked if you can make decent contact and land it softly.

I think a 50* back in the stance with a cut chip would be my best shot. The ball comes out low with some spin so I could control the speed.

This is essentially the shot I was trying to play but with a 47 degree wedge. To me it was the least risky option.

how did you write all that stuff on the grass?............. If i was behind you I would have kicked your ass.

just a little of my poetic skills there:alien:

Ok so...either my 58Lw or my 54sw depending on what I feel and sense when there in person. If running away downhill seems to be too much an issue then believe it or not I am capable of decent at cut/chip if there is enough room under the ball which there looks like there is. But there i some yardage here imo to work with so it looks like not too much problem just chipping this on the softer/easier side.

Chipping this one was easier but I found you were at risk of the ball checking a little too much and not making it down the hill if you used too much loft.

I think thsi shot calls for some roll, I'll probably take my cbx 48* and try to land it about half way there

Pretty much my approach as well. But it did need to be landed before the ridge or you were going for a ride way by the hole.

54* delofted a little, back in my stance and just try and pinch it about half way and let it run to anywhere inside 5 feet, which is realistic.

With 35 feet of room to roll, I'd probably take the 50 out. There's not a ton of grass between the ball and the club so I would expect to get decent contact. If the ball was down more, I might open up the 54 a bit and play it like a sand shot.

As it's downhill, 53° off the back foot to just clear the fringe, and then put Sir Isaac Newton in the driving seat for the rest of the way.

I was going to say something very similar, using my 52* instead.

50 degree, land just short of the ridge and roll out.

I think that's a standard square face 56 off the back foot. The lie is good enough that there are other options but with that much green I'd just get it rolling.

58 back in stance safe chunk and run/don't leave it there.

With that much green to work with & a clean lie, I would take a 8 or 9 iron and play a bump & run. The idea is to get the ball on the green rolling like a putt as soon as possible. I would try to die it at the hill but with enough pace to get over it .... Making sure to get it to the hole to have an uphill putt back, it it's not a tap in. I try and make all my chips & pitches, especially if they have clean lies like this one.

Bingo. This is the shot I would hit.

For me I'd go with what I'm comfortable with, which is my 54* or maybe even my 58* and play it almost to the ridge and let it feed down to the hole.

It seems the consensus is a wedge played off the back foot and get the ball rolling. That is how I had the best success practicing this shot. I know 35 feet seems like a lot of green to work with but the picture doesn't quite do it justice. Not that it was a super difficult shot, it's just that the window to land the ball is smaller than you would think due to the slope.

Follow up question for you guys. How far off the back foot are you playing this shot and how much are you delofting the club?

I would chip it with my PW or 9 iron and try to run it just over the edge of that ridge and bleed down to the hole.

Edit: after reading some of your plays, you all are ballsy. Trying to loft a 60* over the ridge to stop at the hole is real ballsy. I don't think any PGA tour pros would even try that shot LOL!

58* with square face. Fly it about 35 feet and let it roll out.

I rarely use anything high lofted than a gap wedged with that much green to work with so it would likely be a 47* pw or a 51* GW depending on green speed. I’d likely land it about 6 feet on and let it release.

I've got a friend who would chutt that in a heartbeat. I'm pretty comfortable with my 58* just back of the stance and take the loft off the club and put some check on it.

My 56 would work here for me. I'm not a big spin player, so put the ball middle of my stance, slightly open, land the ball 2 feet short of the ridge and let it roll towards the cup.

Back