Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 4.5
Sadly, the golf season is winding down in my neck of the woods. I often think of the end of October as the sunset of the real golfing season here in the high elevation of Utah. It would be fun to hear the notable golfing achievements of THPers.

I had two goals for the 2018 season:

1. Lower my handicap to 4.

I ended last season at about a 6. I wanted to lower my handicap by 2 strokes this year. As of today, I am a 4.1, close enough. The biggest improvement I saw this year was that my consistency improved and I shot many rounds in the 74 to 76 range. I felt really good about my improvement.

2. Shoot under par for 18, something I have never done.

I shot even par twice this season, a 71 and a 72. The 71 should have been a 70. I was one under on number 18, which was an uphill, 300 yard par 4. Pull a hybrid or fairway wood and it is a little wedge in for an easy par. However, I got greedy, thinking if I birdied the hole, I would break 70. I pulled driver, hung it right into the trees and bogeyed the hole to shoot 71. Lesson learned for the hundredth time. One day I will do it.

Let’s hear your personal victories!

I broke my PB score twice (75 and a 74) and got my HC down from 8 to a low of 4.9 No THP events for me this year because of personal reasons, but played a lot of fun golf with some local THPers and just had a great season overall.
I am lucky enough though is weather is decent, we can golf almost year round so still quite a few rounds to go for the year.

Hmm, this year has been one of 2 steps forward 1.75 steps back, but feel like I am getting to a good place in my golf game.

My goal was to get sub 10.... I am actually higher (12.2) than I was when I started (11.6). But, I finally broke 80 at my home course (needed par on my last hole and made birdie in a competition), my swing is better than it has been in years and physically I am getting in better shape. I have 2 months left of this year and I think I am primed to drop that handicap.... not sure I will get sub 10, but I should have 5 rounds or more to give it a go.

Sum up my year? That's a lot of rounds to add together.

But being serious it was ok. Didn't really have many goals this year, just trying to take golf more casually when I play now. Started at a 6, went up to an 8.7 in the beginning of the season and now I'm down to a 4.9 which is good.

Had a couple good tournaments mixed in there (didn't win any but came close) so I always enjoy those.

Came the closest I've been to a hole in one though this year (about 3 inches)! Maybe I can get one in the next few weeks, if not that will be next seasons goal haha!

So yeah it was a good year and had a great time out there so that's all I can really ask for!

I played fewer rounds of golf than I have in the last 20 years but made some strides with my ball striking. The larger hip turn I’ve been working on for the better part of 2 years is really becoming a natural part of my swing and has resulted in increased accuracy on all shots and closer proximity to the hole. I can now hit driver more often off the tee which for me means sometimes 7-8 times each round. I hit 13 of 14 fairways the last 2 rounds and haven’t had a round in the last 10 where I missed more than 4 fairways.

2018 was the year of change for our family and all of it has been for the better. We finally moved back to Minnesota which we missed more than we realized after 2 decades in California. We completed our retirement lake home shortly after I retired in May and the memories that we’ve already created in the last 4 months are amazing. Our 3 kids are all happy and doing well with one in college near home, a freshman at University of San Diego, and one in a new private school in Minneapolis. The biggest risk/challenge with our move was our youngest daughter adjusting to a new school and making new friends and she has adjusted faster and easier than all of us hoped for.

I’m playing 3+ times per week but the golf season will come to an abrupt end here in another few weeks. I’ve got a couple buddies at my new club that play golf on the indoor simulators 2 or 3 days each week and I’ve already signed up to join them for the long winter. A couple snowmobiles are in the works as well so we will be acting like Minnesotans and doing lots of skiing, skating, ice fishing, and snowmobiling very soon!

I played fewer rounds of golf than I have in the last 20 years but made some strides with my ball striking. The larger hip turn I’ve been working on for the better part of 2 years is really becoming a natural part of my swing and has resulted in increased accuracy on all shots and closer proximity to the hole. I can now hit driver more often off the tee which for me means sometimes 7-8 times each round. I hit 13 of 14 fairways the last 2 rounds and haven’t had a round in the last 10 where I missed more than 4 fairways.

2018 was the year of change for our family and all of it has been for the better. We finally moved back to Minnesota which we missed more than we realized after 2 decades in California. We completed our retirement lake home shortly after I retired in May and the memories that we’ve already created in the last 4 months are amazing. Our 3 kids are all happy and doing well with one in college near home, a freshman at University of San Diego, and one in a new private school in Minneapolis. The biggest risk/challenge with our move was our youngest daughter adjusting to a new school and making new friends and she has adjusted faster and easier than all of us hoped for.

I’m playing 3+ times per week but the golf season will come to an abrupt end here in another few weeks. I’ve got a couple buddies at my new club that play golf on the indoor simulators 2 or 3 days each week and I’ve already signed up to join them for the long winter. A couple snowmobiles are in the works as well so we will be acting like Minnesotans and doing lots of skiing, skating, ice fishing, and snowmobiling very soon!

Sounds like a great year, in many ways unrelated to golf.

it's been another disappointing year for me, relative to the quantity of golf i've played. getting into the morgan cup was something i'll never forget, and is absolutely the bright spot of my golf year.

i was hoping to play more, and practice with purpose to hopefully get down into the 4s, maybe even 3s. i do think i still think i have that capability, but when you play 1-2 times per month, that's pretty hard to accomplish. i guess i should be happy that i have at least maintained my handicap playing such little golf.

i'd like to think that once my year settles a bit next week, i'll be able to re-focus and maybe achieve my goal after all. i'll certainly try.

My year has been:

1. very little golf
2. kids sporting events
3. Crazy awesome time running through a warehouse
4. tennis
5. little more golf
6. tennis
7. crappy weather and work
8. trip to Cleveland Golf HQ next month

Sum up Your Year

Sounds like a great year, in many ways unrelated to golf.

It has been an amazing year, maybe our best ever as a family. We’ve spent all but 2 weekends since mid June at our lake home. This weekend is our 3rd weekend away from the lake as we are visiting our daughter in San Diego for parents weekend. Technology still allows me check out and enjoy the mater bedroom view of the lake even though we are 1500 miles away!

916d29276aa5168a0779f13b6c9d5623.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sadly, the golf season is winding down in my neck of the woods. I often think of the end of October as the sunset of the real golfing season here in the high elevation of Utah. It would be fun to hear the notable golfing achievements of THPers.

I had two goals for the 2018 season:

1. Lower my handicap to 4.

I ended last season at about a 6. I wanted to lower my handicap by 2 strokes this year. As of today, I am a 4.1, close enough. The biggest improvement I saw this year was that my consistency improved and I shot many rounds in the 74 to 76 range. I felt really good about my improvement.

2. Shoot under par for 18, something I have never done.

I shot even par twice this season, a 71 and a 72. The 71 should have been a 70. I was one under on number 18, which was an uphill, 300 yard par 4. Pull a hybrid or fairway wood and it is a little wedge in for an easy par. However, I got greedy, thinking if I birdied the hole, I would break 70. I pulled driver, hung it right into the trees and bogeyed the hole to shoot 71. Lesson learned for the hundredth time. One day I will do it.

Let’s hear your personal victories!

I like what you did on 18. You missed your goal of subpar, but you had a real shot at 60s and you went for it. Would have been epic if you had pulled it off.

My main goal was to get my index down to 5, which I missed by 1, but I dramatically improved my driving, made a lot more birdies, brought my scoring average down by 3 strokes, and had the most fun playing that I've ever had.

Broke par in a round this year which I had not done in a long time (and it was completely unexpected).

Took my son out to the course for the first time. He is mildly dangerous with a golf club in his hands and is more interested in the golf cart, but we had a great time out there.

Playing in my Dad's Member-Guest.

A lost year. Entered with high hopes but life got in the way. Played a total of 72 holes the entire season, including a department scramble. Spent a lot of time four hours away helping the in-laws manage the last few months of my father-in-law's life. Got absolutely slammed with special projects at work related to tariffs and being acquired. A partial backyard reno underwent massive scope creep after I was too committed to turn back. One of the kids is going through a major life crisis.

And yet . . .

My FIL's passing was not too bad as these things go. The decline at the end was rapid and relatively peaceful.
I'm a granddad and he is incredible, my bias included or not. Equally fascinating to watch new parents grow into their roles.

Thanks to THP, the golf I did play involved testing the TM M4 irons, which arrived days before everything else went south. Eye-opening good, they have challenged a lot of paradigms in just a few rounds. So a lot of hopes and plans were cast aside for important stuff, but I feel like the dog who plays checkers - I'm not very good, but I'm grateful I'm playing.

I'm STILL hoping for at least one more nine before the courses close.

Played way less than I would have liked but played better than I ever have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My golfing year can be summed up pretty simply:
1) #TheGrandaddy
2) BC Match Play semi-finalist
3) Hosel rockets
4) Fun

My season in NY can be summed up in one word: Wet.

I cant say that word in this forum. Hahah

Let's see:

1st Goal was to get sub 12 hcp- have achieved that.
2nd Goal was to ensure that I did my part with reviews of the Grandaddy equipment- While I did continue to add my comments I'm not as technical as some of my other teammates so I consider it somewhat of a failure on my part.
3rd Goal was to play as much as I possibly could. I feel I've done that, although a few situations here at work have gotten in the way of playing as often as I'd like to.

Game is coming into shape, and I'm consistently scoring in the mid 80's which for someone shooting in the triple digits a few years ago I take some pride in. On to 2019

Promising start - I was on fire!
Terrible mid summer - couldn't hit a beachball with a tennis racket
So-So end to the year - Driver really came into it's own, but some hit and miss rounds with iron and putter

Achieved my goal of breaking 90
dramatically improved my driving accuracy
Played some interesting courses
Didn't play as much as I wanted though
Struggled with iron play at times as the year wore on

All in all, give this year a 6/10

Started great first half.
Flamed out 2nd half.
Played some amazing courses (Pinehurst and Bay Hill to name a few) with some great friends.
And had a blast at the Ultimate Gathering

While my golfing year never ends, I can sum up the first 3 quarters.

In the beginning of 2018 I set out to play more golf than 2017. In 2017 I had played 50% less than I did in 2016 on account of becoming a father.
As of now, I can say I have achieved my goal. It's not 2016 numbers, but it's a start.

I set out to play in at least one THP event. And while I was unable to enter as many sign ups as I would have liked due to my travel schedule, I was able to play in the Ben Hogan Experience outside of Orlando in June. It was an amazing weekend that I won't soon forget - so consider that goal achieved!

I didn't really set any goals for my game. I knew I wasn't playing as much as I would like, so I didn't want to set an unrealistic expectation. However, I will say that in the last two months, my game has significantly improved - Which is excellent considering I have two more trips to Hawaii, a trip to Europe, and a trip to SE Asia + The California Classic coming up before years end! Lots of good golf left to play!

I can break down the bad and the good.

The bad:
- I didn't get to practice as much as usual and my handicap increased which is really disappointing.
- I went though a bought of shanks which made me hate golf for a little bit.

The good:
- I tied my personal best pretty early in the season.
- I got to play with my 4 year old son for the first time on the course.
- I was able to play golf with good friends from around the country.
- I was able to play in the THP Championship this year!
- I didn't spend nearly as much money on golf equipment.
- I'm going to the effing Grandaddy!!!!

I would say the good waaaayyy outweighed the bad.

It was a pretty good year for me, but living in CA it isn't over yet. Didn't really have in specific goals, but here's a quick summary:

Started the year strong, I am usually consistently inconsistent, scoring low to mid 90s, but the first half of the year I was high 80s to low 90s.
Got to play in Hawaii for the first time to celebrate my 60th birthday.
Got to play Pebble Beach!
Second half of the year has seen my game go south a bit, back to scoring more low to mid 90s, with a couple of real blow up rounds on top of that.
Became active here on THP, joined the Albatross Club, but haven't yet had the opportunity to get to any of the official or unofficial events.

non productive!

Played a good amount of golf of year 2 getting back into it and I had some good rounds. But lately swing has gotten off and just disapointed in where I ended up. Taking lessons over winter and setting up some good practice space. Next year will be markedly better, I hope.

But always enjoy getting out there for some golf

Mine isn't over yet.

My season here is just getting into full swing (sorry for the pun). Now that the heat has dissipated somewhat I can go back to playing in the late morning or early afternoon. So far this year I've added about 20 yds to my drives, found my stride in pitching and am currently improving my putting. The real trip will be putting all these elements together on a single hole. Right now a great drive is followed by a dribble of a second shot and a good pitch is followed by a 3 putt.

Back