Getting ready to pull the trigger, need advice

Reef Donkey

Reaction score
Handicap
Micheladas
OK, I came across a smokin' deal on some JPX 900's with the ProModus steel shafts. Problem is that they are standard length, and every person that's ever measured me says I'm a +1" in shaft length. Before I buy these I just wanted to make sure that extending the shafts an inch wouldn't mess everything up. I know the swingweight will be off, but I'm fairly certain there's ways to counter-balance that, correct?

These are regular flex shafts. Would that extra inch make them more "whippy" ? I simply don't know the answers to this kinda stuff. And while I'm at it... My driver swing speed is roughly 95-98 depending on how froggy I feel. My 7-iron speed is 81-83. My goals are to get my 7-iron speed into the 85-86 range.

Knowing what I've presented to y'all... Will a regular flex shaft do alright? Just wanted to ask people who know a helluva lot more than me before forking over $$$. Thanks!

No - don't do it.

1 inch extensions, will make a regular shaft even softer. Your driver swing speed says stiff, your iron speed says stiff regular.

Don't risk it.

No - don't do it.

1 inch extensions, will make a regular shaft even softer. Your driver swing speed says stiff, your iron speed says stiff regular.

Don't risk it.

OK, so would I be better off with a stiff flex that I need to add an extension to? Or should I just pony up and pay more? I don't feel like paying an extra few hundred for the 919's (unless they are remarkably better than the 900's). Speaking of which, you game the 919's. How do you like them? Any comparison you might be able to offer with regard to the 900's?

OK, so would I be better off with a stiff flex that I need to add an extension to? Or should I just pony up and pay more? I don't feel like paying an extra few hundred for the 919's (unless they are remarkably better than the 900's). Speaking of which, you game the 919's. How do you like them? Any comparison you might be able to offer with regard to the 900's?

I've been told by a clubmaker or two, more than .5 inches and no - and that was on woods. Irons - you want precision.

The 919F is an improvement in ballspeed and forgiveness. Ballspeed - they thinned out the face from the sole to make sure even shots hit low on the face retain ballspeed - the slighty thicker topline - forgiveness and consistency. The slightly wider sole - more forgiveness. Lots of help on the toe. For me, it's a 2-3 yr investment. And after hitting the 900's and playing the 919, I'm glad that I waited. Paid $968 for 5-PW, GW PX LZ Tour 90 Graphite 6.0 softstepped once. I think this shaft really helps with distance.

If it's only a few hundred extra, get the 919. But get fit to get the most out of them.

I've been told by a clubmaker or two, more than .5 inches and no - and that was on woods. Irons - you want precision.

The 919F is an improvement in ballspeed and forgiveness. Ballspeed - they thinned out the face from the sole to make sure even shots hit low on the face retain ballspeed - the slighty thicker topline - forgiveness and consistency. The slightly wider sole - more forgiveness. Lots of help on the toe. For me, it's a 2-3 yr investment. And after hitting the 900's and playing the 919, I'm glad that I waited. Paid $968 for 5-PW, GW PX LZ Tour 90 Graphite 6.0 softstepped once. I think this shaft really helps with distance.

If it's only a few hundred extra, get the 919. But get fit to get the most out of them.

I have a rather low/mid ball flight (but I have DG S300's in my current irons). With these being a strong lofted set would I be better off with a shaft that has a lower kickpoint to get the ball a bit higher in the air? I'v heard great things about the KBS Tour 90's and the TT XP90's and 105's.

And also, if we are talking about a shaft at +1" (NO EXTENSION) should I be looking at R or S flex? 81-83 mph 7-iron.

I have a rather low/mid ball flight (but I have DG S300's in my current irons). With these being a strong lofted set would I be better off with a shaft that has a lower kickpoint to get the ball a bit higher in the air? I'v heard great things about the KBS Tour 90's and the TT XP90's and 105's.

And also, if we are talking about a shaft at +1" (NO EXTENSION) should I be looking at R or S flex? 81-83 mph 7-iron.

DGS300 are heavy and not for a high flight.

The Nippon 105 are smooth feeling, I find them easier on the body and will get the ball up. I'd look at S flex BUT flex depends on factors other than swing speed. Early or late release? Quick or smooth?

I would try the Project X LX Tour 90 in 6.0 for sh$ts and giggles - you may like them even though much lighter than DGS300

Mizuno's fitting carts usually include +.5 and +1 inch shafts. I would look at them as well as doing a dynamic lie angle test, and spin and launch.

I'd take your time getting new irons. It's raining a lot now - no hurry. Go by the PGATSS in Southlake or Leonards Golf Links in Ft Worth and get fit correctly - you can pay for a fitting or not - go by PGATSS and spend a few minutes with shafts and clubs.

I'm easier to fit, tried out some shafts and bought at discountdansgolf.com to save some $$.

In steel shafts, I used to recommend going to longer than + 1” for extensions. Keep in mind that along with making the shaft length longer would also have to adjust the lie angle of each club you have extended. Could be a simple 1-2* upright depending on how comfortable you feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DGS300 are heavy and not for a high flight.

The Nippon 105 are smooth feeling, I find them easier on the body and will get the ball up. I'd look at S flex BUT flex depends on factors other than swing speed. Early or late release? Quick or smooth?

I would try the Project X LX Tour 90 in 6.0 for sh$ts and giggles - you may like them even though much lighter than DGS300

Mizuno's fitting carts usually include +.5 and +1 inch shafts. I would look at them as well as doing a dynamic lie angle test, and spin and launch.

I'd take your time getting new irons. It's raining a lot now - no hurry. Go by the PGATSS in Southlake or Leonards Golf Links in Ft Worth and get fit correctly - you can pay for a fitting or not - go by PGATSS and spend a few minutes with shafts and clubs.

I'm easier to fit, tried out some shafts and bought at discountdansgolf.com to save some $$.

By "early or late release" are you speaking of how long I hold lag? If so, I'm really working hard on holding lag until it becomes natural. As far as tempo. It takes me about 1 - 1.25 seconds to get to the back of my swing.

In steel shafts, I used to recommend going to longer than + 1” for extensions. Keep in mind that along with making the shaft length longer would also have to adjust the lie angle of each club you have extended. Could be a simple 1-2* upright depending on how comfortable you feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went and got measured and had my current clubs bent after some impact board shots. There is no standard for what's upright, but my 7-iron is best fit at 63.5*, which seems to be 1 to 2 degrees upright depending on which clubs I'm comparing. With the Mizunos it's 2* upright. With some Callaways its only 1*. With some of the Pings, like the i210 it's about .75* upright.

I agree with Daze, the regular shaft is going to be kind of whippy for you anyway. The extensions will make it worse and you won't like it at all. Look on Ebay. Used +1" irons are usually discounted because there aren't a lot of people that can use them. You can get used irons for a 10%-20% and maybe more discount to what us mere mortals can.

Check your DM's when you get a chance. By the way, you mentioned Rockwood. Holy crap that's a phenomenal golf course for $44. The $10,000,000 was well spent on this course. That short par-4 uphill is challenging. Hit 3-wood to 130 yards out, then needed a 6-iron to get to the pin position into the wind uphill. Knocked it stiff to 4' and birdied. Then next hole, downhill par 3 with wind at my back playing about 118 yards I hit Sand Wedge to 6'.

I agree with Daze, the regular shaft is going to be kind of whippy for you anyway. The extensions will make it worse and you won't like it at all. Look on Ebay. Used +1" irons are usually discounted because there aren't a lot of people that can use them. You can get used irons for a 10%-20% and maybe more discount to what us mere mortals can.

I agree, except that I'm a goofy left handed golfer, and it kills my search results.

Check your DM's when you get a chance. By the way, you mentioned Rockwood. Holy crap that's a phenomenal golf course for $44. The $10,000,000 was well spent on this course. That short par-4 uphill is challenging. Hit 3-wood to 130 yards out, then needed a 6-iron to get to the pin position into the wind uphill. Knocked it stiff to 4' and birdied. Then next hole, downhill par 3 with wind at my back playing about 118 yards I hit Sand Wedge to 6'.

Yes, Rockwood, if you want to play, there is a foursome I know that goes out on Sat/Sun and if they know a couple of more are coming, they will get 2 groups. Yes, that uphill par 4. I've birdied it, parred it, doubled it in the past. More pars and birds than doubles. lol. The greens are wicked.

Fastest, most challenging, and best condition greens I've ever played for $44.

Fastest, most challenging, and best condition greens I've ever played for $44.
With all this rain the greens have to be ideal. They used to be really firm...as in 8-PW bouncing knee high and rolling out too.

Rolling back to your earlier question about shafts, you mentioning needing a shaft that helped you get the ball airborne. I pulled some TT XP100's (stiff) that are standard length. They ballooned way too much for me, so they can be had really cheap...and you're very local to me too.

I know its not exactly what you are looking for, but if you're interested just PM me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
With all this rain the greens have to be ideal. They used to be really firm...as in 8-PW bouncing knee high and rolling out too.

Rolling back to your earlier question about shafts, you mentioning needing a shaft that helped you get the ball airborne. I pulled some TT XP100's (stiff) that are standard length and 2* upright. They ballooned way too much for me, so they can be had really cheap...and you're very local to me too.

I know its not exactly what you are looking for, but if you're interested just PM me.

How are your shafts 2* upright?

How are your shafts 2* upright?
My bad....lololol.... Ok, shafts are straight, that better?

Corrected prior post....I had originally included what heads they were installed in and THOSE HEADS are 2* upright.

Back