The Graphite Challenge is Coming in 2019

Composite materials do not have to be lighter weight.
You can manipulate ball flight and flex without any change to weight, which you cannot do the same way with steel.
And inserts do not remove the same amount of vibration as composite shafts do.

Lighter weight isn't exactly an advantage. I played awful when I gamed graphite. While I can appreciate the reduced vibration, I can achieve that with ProSoft inserts and keep the shaft weight in a range that provides the feel I need.

I dunno, I'm not so closed minded as to dismiss empirical evidence if presented in the form of a fitting, but I'm highly skeptical.

And being skeptical is perfectly ok. Might do you some good to work on the delivery of it. Or put some effort in the context in which you post. Because your coming across as an asshole and that may not be your intent.

Composite materials do not have to be lighter weight.
You can manipulate ball flight and flex without any change to weight, which you cannot do the same way with steel.
And inserts do not remove the same amount of vibration as composite shafts do.

Sounds great on "paper". I'd love to see it in practice. I don't think I've ever seen a 120g+ graphite shaft, but it would be a fun time trying it out.

This is such a cool twist! I seriously can’t wait till all the details come out on this one! It’s another evolution of a great THP event that somehow gets even better, know that!

Looks like it another sick event! Awesome to see 2019 shaping up already!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

And being skeptical is perfectly ok. Might do you some good to work on the delivery of it. Or put some effort in the context in which you post. Because your coming across as an asshole and that may not be your intent.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I AM an asshole. Self-identified and unwilling to change. Every THPer that I've ever met seemed to be OK with me in person so I think I'm good with that. It is true that some still have their self-conceived notions of me and that's fine. I've been "doing me" for 42+ years and I don't plan on changing anytime soon.

I said right up front that I wasn't trying to start a pissing match. I'm not sure what else I can do other than put up some flower emojis or somethin' in my posts.

Sounds great on "paper". I'd love to see it in practice. I don't think I've ever seen a 120g+ graphite shaft, but it would be a fun time trying it out.
I game UST Mamiya Recoil 125g shafts and I love them.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I AM an asshole. Self-identified and unwilling to change. Every THPer that I've ever met seemed to be OK with me in person so I think I'm good with that. It is true that some still have their self-conceived notions of me and that's fine. I've been "doing me" for 42+ years and I don't plan on changing anytime soon.

I said right up front that I wasn't trying to start a pissing match. I'm not sure what else I can do other than put up some flower emojis or somethin' in my posts.

Awesome. But you’ve been asked nicely time and time again to leave the asshole stuff at the door. This is a thread for a new event for next year. Imagine a member new to THP checking out the thread for the first time and seeing that and now decides to avoid conversation because you were “doing you”. Have conversation. Have different opinions. That’s all part of what we do here. But don’t be a dick in the process

I think guys requiring 120+g are probably the minority of the golfing population, but there are enough to where I'd like to see someone who is accustomed to that weight gaming a 110g graphite iron shaft for a particular amount of time.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's definitely possible to go too lightweight, but also wonder if there would be a significant drop off in play from a 120 or 130 gram steel shaft to a 110 gram graphite one. It would actually surprise me if the transition didn't go smoothly.

I game UST Mamiya Recoil 125g shafts and I love them.

That might be right up my alley. I might have to track one down to put up against my LZ/120/6.0 when I get them put together.

That might be right up my alley. I might have to track one down to put up against my LZ/120/6.0 when I get them put together.
It had been incredible for me after an arm break last year. I still get the weight and stability I need plus better feel and care on my joints.

I'm definitely not starting a pissing match I'd love to have a chance to be proven wrong that my perceptions of graphite are wrong and I'll thank THP and UST for the chance at the opportunity!
6014f7f6446cfb8520b29c83f6934283.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I think guys requiring 120+g are probably the minority of the golfing population, but there are enough to where I'd like to see someone who is accustomed to that weight gaming a 110g graphite iron shaft for a particular amount of time.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's definitely possible to go too lightweight, but also wonder if there would be a significant drop off in play from a 120 or 130 gram steel shaft to a 110 gram graphite one. It would actually surprise me if the transition didn't go smoothly.

I played the Apollo Hump (~110g) for a long time. I played it really well (when I was playing really well... if that makes sense). When I picked up the game after a ~5 year layoff, I didn't take too well to the lighter weight. I initially acquired golfer's elbow as well and switched to graphite to alleviate that, but the graphite was way too light (I tried Matrix Studio 84's) to feel and I abandoned that after a couple of months. After switching to heavier shafts (I'm gaming old school DGold S300's now and I have KBS Tour Steel in the high 120g range in my other irons that I played since mid-summer) I'm getting back to it.

I would welcome a try with 110g+, but I'd still lean toward 120g+.

Awesome. But you’ve been asked nicely time and time again to leave the asshole stuff at the door. This is a thread for a new event for next year. Imagine a member new to THP checking out the thread for the first time and seeing that and now decides to avoid conversation because you were “doing you”. Have conversation. Have different opinions. That’s all part of what we do here. But don’t be a dick in the process

exactly. @og has an interesting question that has been batted around and is always worth revisiting. ...in another thread.

Lighter weight isn't exactly an advantage. I played awful when I gamed graphite. While I can appreciate the reduced vibration, I can achieve that with ProSoft inserts and keep the shaft weight in a range that provides the feel I need.

I dunno, I'm not so closed minded as to dismiss empirical evidence if presented in the form of a fitting, but I'm highly skeptical.

I play graphite shafts that are as heavy and play stiffer than your current steel shafts. Just for reference, I played S300 and X100 shafts before I converted and I’m not going back, there’s a noticeable difference when properly fit. You did try graphite shaft in the wrong weight class and flex profile from what you’ve been playing, so the comparison isn’t really apples to apples either.

You're right. That's why I haven't been an asshole... in this thread. I left that to you and you're taking the ball and running with it. Now, so far, I've gone back and forth with a couple of guys, JB included, about these shafts and all has been fine. We can leave it at that and it'll all be fine... or you can keep pushing it and this thread will probably get locked down. I can only hope you choose the mature route. Have a nice day.

I play graphite shafts that are as heavy and play stiffer than your current steel shafts. Just for reference, I played S300 and X100 shafts before I converted and I’m not going back, there’s a noticeable difference when properly fit. You did try graphite shaft in the wrong weight class and flex profile from what you’ve been playing, so the comparison isn’t really apples to apples either.

Congrats on the name change. Just noticed it. Not sure when it happened.

You're right on the weight class. I switched because I felt like I needed to try lighter, graphite shafts to stave off golfer's elbow, but I was wrong. The flex of the shafts felt good, but I couldn't get along with the reduced weight. I'm currently looking for a Recoil F4 pull on eBay to try out before I dive in too deep.

Well this is a challenge I'm completely in favor of! Excited to see what Danny has up his sleeves.

Little tid bits have been dropped on this.....your a fool for not entering this if you don’t.

Interesting...... very ..... interesting.....

I am interested on this one for sure big believer in Graphite being better and comparable. Would be a great event to be in. Two years ago I was in the ER 5 times from stupid falls and it really messed up, arms,wrists shoulders everything, so golf was painful. 2017 went to Graphite shafts 110 protos in my irons 8 through 58 and never had pain from playing them compared to steel. I could even go 36 or more holes with again great feel launch and dispersion. Back to steel this year and really wanted to get fit into Graphite properly but not happening properly in Iowa and for the $ commitment I wanted it to be right. So will be watching and waiting on this one.

Very interested!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back