Ready for a new driver...process and best place to go?

~QQ~

Reaction score
Handicap
So I've liked my TaylorMade R5 for as long as I've had it, but I think I'm ready for something with newer technology. I want to do this right.

Should I go in with a brand name I like? Right now I'm leaning towards staying with TM (M3 M4?). Not sure what shaft options I'll have.

I want to see my swing stats for fitting. Not sure if fitting is ok indoors or out? I kinda want to see the real ball flight but not sure it matters. In addition, I'm 6'4" and I find that I alter my swing a little in those indoor ranges because of the cramped quarters.

That's another question, being tall I have 1" longer shafts on my custom fit irons, but I bought my driver off the shelf standard. Do taller people usually lengthen their shafts on drivers too? I do feel like I bend over more with my driver swing.

So where should I go? Dicks? Golf Galaxy? Are there better options? If I'm spending $400-500 on a driver I really want good service.

I'm sure some of the CA THPers can give you options on where best to go in your area. Are there any local golf shops other than those mentioned?

I think it’s worth it to find a place outdoors so you can see the actual ball flight.

I'm sure some of the CA THPers can give you options on where best to go in your area. Are there any local golf shops other than those mentioned?

There's a Golftec? Google maps isn't that helpful for this. Shows a lot of country clubs and golf courses.

Any PGA Superstores near you? The one here in Vegas has really large fitting and practice bays, good staff, and a “Trackman-like” shot computer. It’s pretty good.

Sounds like you are going about it the right way. One comment - you said you were "leaning" towards TM. Give yourself the best shot and try as many brands and shaft combinations as you can. Case in point: the M4s I am evaluating for THP are not a set I would have considered, but they may be the best irons I've ever played. A place like a PGASS would be a great place to at least narrow it down for a final evaluation outside.

Good luck!

I suggest finding a premium $300 to $400 shaft that performs well for you, and buy it.
Next, find a 2 or 3 year old driver head you like looking at, which is being sold new for $100, and install that head to the premium shaft.

One thing to keep,in mind - if you've effectively been playing your current driver 1" short any new driver at correct length for you is going to come with all the normal stuff that comes with playing a longer shaft - potential for more distance in exchange for potential for less control.

I suggest finding a premium $300 to $400 shaft that performs well for you, and buy it.
Next, find a 2 or 3 year old driver head you like looking at, which is being sold new for $100, and install that head to the premium shaft.

I would have no idea how to go about finding the right shaft for my swing. How do the "fit" just a shaft for me? Who can do that?

I would have no idea how to go about finding the right shaft for my swing. How do the "fit" just a shaft for me? Who can do that?

Tell them what you want to do, see how receptive of that they are. Let them know you want to try multiple driver heads from different companies. Try to see if they are certified fitters (generally anyone doing Mizuno/Callaway/Titleist will be certified)
If you don't feel comfortable walk away. I have been fitted for irons at one place and bought another place.

Hit a bunch of shafts so you can figure out what you want the shaft to feel like. Once you find a shaft, hit every head you can with that shaft in it. Then you'll be good to go.

One thing to keep,in mind - if you've effectively been playing your current driver 1" short any new driver at correct length for you is going to come with all the normal stuff that comes with playing a longer shaft - potential for more distance in exchange for potential for less control.

Maybe a couple of the taller guys can weigh in with advice? Paging Sean and Wubears!

What's the general feel for doing this through a Dick's or Golf Galaxy? Does it depend on who you get or is there a way to check if they've got the right process?

What's the general feel for doing this through a Dick's or Golf Galaxy? Does it depend on who you get or is there a way to check if they've got the right process?
I definitely would not do this at a big box store. It's about 50/50 that you'll get someone who knows less than you about fitting.

Edit: golf galaxy might be okay. I would never do a fitting at Dicks.

Last edited:
So I've liked my TaylorMade R5 for as long as I've had it, but I think I'm ready for something with newer technology. I want to do this right.

Should I go in with a brand name I like? Right now I'm leaning towards staying with TM (M3 M4?). Not sure what shaft options I'll have.

I want to see my swing stats for fitting. Not sure if fitting is ok indoors or out? I kinda want to see the real ball flight but not sure it matters. In addition, I'm 6'4" and I find that I alter my swing a little in those indoor ranges because of the cramped quarters.

That's another question, being tall I have 1" longer shafts on my custom fit irons, but I bought my driver off the shelf standard. Do taller people usually lengthen their shafts on drivers too? I do feel like I bend over more with my driver swing.

So where should I go? Dicks? Golf Galaxy? Are there better options? If I'm spending $400-500 on a driver I really want good service.

If you take lessons I suggest talking over any and all equipment purchase considerations with your instructor.

Where I live, you’re better off fitting yourself than going to Dick’s.

Going from R5, I would say you’ll see a difference in performance from any new driver out there. Find the driver you like the look and feel of then let the fitter work out what’s best for you for performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was fit by Club Champion into +1” irons (more accurately 38.0” for 7 iron) and 45.25” for my driver (which is shorter than most off the rack drivers right now). So you don’t necessarily have to go +1” on your driver and woods just because you’re fit into +1” irons. Hope this answers your question.

I'm pretty much in your area, haven't done a driver fitting, but here's my 2 cents on the options I know of:

• I wouldn't do a fitting at any of the Dick's around here.
  • Golf Galaxy in Roseville? Maybe, kind of a roll of the dice on if you get someone that's any good.
  • Haggin Oaks in Sacramento is the best bet I know of, they carry almost everything, their staff has a good reputation, and you can hit inside and outside.
  • Auburn Valley, nice golf course, but not much of a pro shop. They also just changed ownership, so no telling what you'll get for a while.
I plan on getting fit for a new driver soon myself, waiting until the new Tour Edge EXS comes out so I can give it a look. I might hit a few at Golf Galaxy, since there is one right by my work, but I'll probably be going to Haggin Oaks for the fitting, as they carry Tour Edge, Srixon, and a few others that you don't see everywhere.

Update:

I decided to go to the pga pro at Golf Galaxy. Hit some shots with my current driver (R5 10.5 stiff shaft) on their launch monitor. Through the entire process my swing speed was 90-95 and ball speed 130-137 (not bad for an older dude). Was going about 210ish with spin rate of 3500-3800. Then tried some new drivers out. Hit those 230-240 ish. A little less spin too as I degreed down to 9. I wasn't super impressed.

Couple things. He found a dent on the face of my driver. Also said that every shot I took made contact on the heel of the driver. Proved it with tape. So strange, I thought I was hitting center. I sometimes fight a weird slice and it showed on the monitor. So I changed my setup and started hitting off the center. Wow.

Ended up hitting the Callaway Rogue Subzero 9 degree 245-265 with super low spin of 1700-2400. Most of them straight down the middle.

Pretty cool. Expensive driver though. I want it.

Update:

I decided to go to the pga pro at Golf Galaxy. Hit some shots with my current driver (R5 10.5 stiff shaft) on their launch monitor. Through the entire process my swing speed was 90-95 and ball speed 130-137 (not bad for an older dude). Was going about 210ish with spin rate of 3500-3800. Then tried some new drivers out. Hit those 230-240 ish. A little less spin too as I degreed down to 9. I wasn't super impressed.

Couple things. He found a dent on the face of my driver. Also said that every shot I took made contact on the heel of the driver. Proved it with tape. So strange, I thought I was hitting center. I sometimes fight a weird slice and it showed on the monitor. So I changed my setup and started hitting off the center. Wow.

Ended up hitting the Callaway Rogue Subzero 9 degree 245-265 with super low spin of 1700-2400. Most of them straight down the middle.

Pretty cool. Expensive driver though. I want it.

If it is straight and, coupled with your setup change, you've gained no less than 30 yards [up to 55], that HUGE and well worth the asking price in my experiences. Amortize it out over the playing time of the club based on your past driver time and you can use it for like >$50 a year!

I played yesterday with one of my groups. Having a beer afterwards and I was talking about my fitting. Said I was driving it 30 yards farther and with more accuracy on the launch monitor. They all said it can't be trusted. They'd never buy a driver unless they tested it on the range and saw the real ball flight. Thoughts?

Personally, I’ve seen much more exaggerated curving ball flight on the launch monitors with my driver. I go back and forth between the live range and a launch monitor and this effect seems consistent for me.

I’ve also seen easy 10-15 yd gains by a pro adjusting loft on my driver. Same driver, but with the correct loft for your swing, you can optimize distance. When someone talks about gaining distance on a new driver, I am always curious about their lofts.

Back