Panda's Tour Corner: Jordan Speith Golf Swing

Interesting, though this swing is in super slow-motion, it sure looks like he has a negative AOA on this driver, or am I just seeing that wrong. Not that it matters for him, he's the man, just something I thought I noticed.
I haven't seen his numbers but it wouldn't shock me if his AOA is negative. According to trackman the avg driver AOA on tour is -1. That was from 2014, I don't think they released new averages for last year.

don't get me wrong, the dude can roll the rock. and he is by a mile my favorite player i've maybe ever seen. but this deal about him being a good putter is interesting statistically. if we consider "mid-range" to be 10-15', he is t179 so far in 2016 in 1-putts from this range, and he was t98.

1 Jordan Spieth
titleist_38x11.gif

He's #1 on tour in overall putting average.

Jordan Spieth
titleist_38x11.gif

And 2nd on tour in birdie or better conversion.

1 Jordan Spieth
titleist_38x11.gif

He's #1 on tour in overall putting average.

for total putting in 2016 he's 10th, and in 2015 he's 19th. for strokes gained putting in 2016 he's 2nd and in 2015 he's 8th. again, i'm not trying to say he's not a good putter. when i watch him, he's a phenomenal putter. what i'm trying to say is that it's putting + an "x" factor that i think is game management. because there are guys on tour putting better than he is but not winning like he is.

EDIT: found which stat you pulled, and it's certainly a good one

My teacher uses this as my model swing to copy and watch when I see him.According to him it is all pelvic lateral bend hip thrust-and opening face all the way to the finish.He has my grip real weak and tells me to never have the face closed.It feels like I'm going to slice it way way right.But when I do this to look like Mr Jordan Speith I hit dead straight.I know I'm. Very very very high handicapper,but he has me copy Jordan as it matches my body style.Is this a bad approach Tadashi?He matched me up using a tpi-weight-makeup and said I need to swing like Jordan

I really like Jordan's swing. I think will do a lot for the game of golf. Similar to what Tiger did IMO. If he keeps it up, he will be more dominate than Tiger ever was. That would be a sight to see.

While not adopting his full-swing mechanics .... I did adopt his "look at the hole" short putting strategy at the end of last year and have improved my 10ft and under conversions significantly dropping my index to under 3 in late fall.

Bob (Diveguy)

His swing looks almost effortless to him and like it could hold up to age MUCH better than a lot of the "bombers" on tour right now. I hope it does anyway, it sure is fun to watch him! I like the way he talks to the ball right after he hits his shot too. It kind of gives you some insight as to what's going on more than they can show you on tv.

Could the fact that he's left handed and plays righty be the cause of some of his unconventional swing techniques?

Interesting, though this swing is in super slow-motion, it sure looks like he has a negative AOA on this driver, or am I just seeing that wrong. Not that it matters for him, he's the man, just something I thought I noticed.

Most golfers I've talked to are surprised to find out the average angle of attack with a PGA Tour player is negative. -1.3* according to Trackman for 2014.

The slight chicken wing may become a problem as he ages, but for right now he is 22 and on top of the world....with his short game and putting, he may rack up enough wins before he is old enough for it to be an issue.

One thing I noticed was the amount of movement/rotation of his left (forward) foot, especially after contact. Freddie, you mentioned "if he stays healthy," is this something that might hurt him long term, and is this a common injury on tour?

One thing I noticed was the amount of movement/rotation of his left (forward) foot, especially after contact. Freddie, you mentioned "if he stays healthy," is this something that might hurt him long term, and is this a common injury on tour?
It's not that big of deal. Doug sander used to talk about foot action and how the younger players lacked it. Jordan has great foot work as do the rest of the young guns. I do think if he swung into a firm left leg he would add some power and distance but what he is doing works very well.

don't get me wrong, the dude can roll the rock. and he is by a mile my favorite player i've maybe ever seen. but this deal about him being a good putter is interesting statistically. if we consider "mid-range" to be 10-15', he is t179 so far in 2016 in 1-putts from this range, and he was t98.
I believe he
leads the tour from the 25' range. All of his wins have come with a bunch from this distance.

There have been plenty of guys that needed to make changes as they got older. The issue is that they didn't and they became a side note. Jordan is a long way from any changes but as his action slows that face will get more and more open with that wing.

Remember when tiger seemed to be in the top ten every time he played. I think we will see this from Jordan. He is seeing the course differently than anyone else at this time. This and his consistency will produce many wins. It will and make guys like Rory, Day and Fowler play lights out to beat him. The next 5 years on tour should be very entertaining and bring about some crazy good golf.
That's an interesting note about the chicken wing potentially be a liability as he ages, Freddie. Have there been any other guys who've had to make reasonably major changes as they aged to work around issues that cropped up as they've slowed down a bit?

Back