The 2016 Gauntlet with Callaway Golf

The Zoo Crew is ready. It was great to see most of the captains yesterday and they are excited for this one.

It just keeps getting better every day!! Way to go Callaway!! This will be fun to follow!

The Zoo Crew is ready. It was great to see most of the captains yesterday and they are excited for this one.

That's good to hear!!

Yeah, played yesterday from different tees (three tee boxes ahead of my usual tees). I have work to do.
The new 64* PM grind was very useful!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Team Voelpel may have something to be concerned about, AJ reports that he is hitting his new XR 16 Pro driver "too far" .

He did not indicate in which direction it is traveling too far.

As the assistant captain (self appointed) I like the sound of this. Even with the negative spin haha.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yeah, played yesterday from different tees (three tee boxes ahead of my usual tees). I have work to do.
The new 64* PM grind was very useful!!

I must say I really enjoy the PM grind and am glad I put it in the bag.

Perhaps this has been covered already and I missed it, so if this is a repeat topic I apologize.

Who's played at We-Ko-Pa before? What's the story? Can anyone relate the similarities and differences of Cholla Vs. Saguaro to any SoCal area courses? The website has what looks to be a pretty good comparison [https://wekopa.com/golf/cholla-vs-saguaro/] -- how true is what they're saying?

What I really want to know is - on which course should I be more excited about AJ pulling driver on a 320 yard hole, so that I can see him drive the ball into the worst possible approach shot imaginable?

Perhaps this has been covered already and I missed it, so if this is a repeat topic I apologize.

Who's played at We-Ko-Pa before? What's the story? Can anyone relate the similarities and differences of Cholla Vs. Saguaro to any SoCal area courses? The website has what looks to be a pretty good comparison [https://wekopa.com/golf/cholla-vs-saguaro/] -- how true is what they're saying?

What I really want to know is - on which course should I be more excited about AJ pulling driver on a 320 yard hole, so that I can see him drive the ball into the worst possible approach shot imaginable?
Never have played there but if he doesn't pull driver everytime then you haven't gotten in his head far enough.

The 2016 Gauntlet with Callaway Golf

Wrong topic.

If the Capt is pulling driver then I am following his lead playing aggressive. #GoBig

If the Capt is pulling driver then I am following his lead playing aggressive. #GoBig

#ThenTimeToGoHomeWithoutTheTitle

I have played Saguaro but not Cholla yet.
There is no trouble at all on either course for the 320 yd drives. None. At all. Except for doglegs, desert, wash, bunkers, and snakes.
AJ should be fine. Hit away!!
#DesertGolfIsTargetGolfForAReason

Keep it in the fairways kids or this is what you end up with.

3f2f98e4b965e382af28084c24bea646.jpg

Good question.
I dont think its crazy hard, but a fantastic course.
I think what they are saying is pretty accurate.

I haven't played either of them yet.
Based on google maps, the desert areas look a lot more rugged than the manicured/landscaped desert that you'd see on TV at the Waste Management Open.

Last edited:
Based on google maps, they look a lot more rugged off the fairways than the manicured desert that you'd see on TV at the Waste Management Open.
Google maps may have caught the course during overseed season. It usually is in really nice shape.

Google maps may have caught the course during overseed season. It usually is in really nice shape.

Yep, and in that part of May it will be awesome with the dormant Bermuda coming in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've played both.

I found Saguaro more friendly to a grip and rip style.

Cholla has a lot of holes where you need to make a decision off the tee from what I remember. I remember one tee shot where I had to decide to go left or right of a tree. I made my choice and then my playing partner went up and picked a third option.... Over the tree. Lol. I didn't even think we'd be able to hit over it. So I might try that play next time!!

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk

Keep it in the fairways kids or this is what you end up with.

3f2f98e4b965e382af28084c24bea646.jpg

Guess I will be bringing a desert club.

For the morning crowd....

The Saguaro course

10181fad1e6e038aeb605904289da45e.jpg

309cc9e8d08c2c5c2dcf724a93f0da1c.jpg

047768f78f3620cfb7318168d2443a30.jpg

ace92f657e6726b786ba70daf44646aa.jpg

bf7b9ac613bc139d3a4113f9f09efd26.jpg

8e8b31a6ea67d355d6e5fc25500a7df9.jpg

19da02ce1a79bea40c15a2ccc834099a.jpg

a0502753688ffe3a4b38f7e2f71c15f4.jpg

9350e2f8bfe9ad39f8858d57eb7d1e0b.jpg

e72267702c90bdd8c5e235f5f352968b.jpg

9561bf50ec1516aa06c1cbc76e890e66.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk
Golf in Arizona is just incredible. My absolute favorite! Thanks for the pictures.

The pictures just make me wish it was May! The prep won't stop until then!

Based on google maps, the desert areas look a lot more rugged than the manicured/landscaped desert that you'd see on TV at the Waste Management Open.

Fixed to what I meant to say. The course itself looks to be in fantastic shape!!

More gauntlet practice on this perfect afternoon. team JRod FTW!
2a8f1829dea435f8c2254d1a3a59f8f3.jpg

Between injury and home life haven't had much time to practice, but I have my first round scheduled at Coyote Lakes on the 29th. Let the on course prep begin. Hitting the range until then.

Driver was a little off today. 15 penalty strokes. Desert is brutal.
Just saying....

Back