I'm a shoulder rocker on short putts (0-10 ft) but on the longer ones I find I need my hands more involved to get the distance right.

I'm firmly in the shoulder rocking camp, but a lot of people have done well with very handsy/wristy strokes. I think you're going to experience more consistency and success having one 'engine' in your putting stroke (hands, arms, shoulders etc) than trying to involve multiple muscle groups.

When we played together, I was still working through my definition of how my stroke should be. It worked really well with the SeeMore putter line, but I am here openly admitting that I do make some alterations to putt with a plumbers neck (ball back a bit, hands forward a bit, more of a shallow follow through) to promote quality forward roll.

I only added this notation to say that many times, you don't need to change your stroke but rather the putter you are using (and headweight for that matter). That's why there are so many quality options out there! Don't discount the idea of a genuine putter fitting.
its definitley (a putter fitting) something I should do again. It's been at least 10 years since, I went through one.

In #owning125 those last 2-4 yards can often count as much or more than the first 121 to 123 yards, if that makes since.

The putting stroke will contain some amount of hand/wrist action. It has to. Otherwise if you keep your hands/wrists locked tight, you will make a poor putting stroke.

The problem of course comes in when there's too much hands/wrist or that hand/wrist action is done consciously. Then the putting stroke becomes extremely varied and extremely difficult to repeat with any consistency.

Here's my biggest two putting tips.

1) Get comfortable over the ball. Address the ball in an athletic posture which allows your arms to hang naturally. If you're not able to relax your body, you're doing it wrong.

2) Remove all tension from your stroke (step #1 being extremely important in this). Decide on your line and just let the putter flow squarely down that line without tension. This will also allow your shoulders/arms and hands/wrists to work naturally, with the proper amount of input from each.

The fine folks at SeeMore deserve credit for pointing out #2 to me. It was like a bolt of lighting when I realized how much tension had been in my stroke, and the improvement was immediate and dramatic.

i tend to disagree with the first part, but definitely agree with #2!

i tend to disagree with the first part, but definitely agree with #2!

Nobody is understanding what I'm saying in that first part, but hey, won't be the last time I'm sure.

Nobody is understanding what I'm saying in that first part, but hey, won't be the last time I'm sure.

I understand what you are saying. But lack of tension does not mean that there is motion either conscious or unconscious. I am not in a position to say if there is or isn't because I don't have the equipment to measure. I think that it is best to just think of it as making a natural non manipulated stroke.

If you are using your arms and moving the triangle created with the arms and putter, you are moving the shoulders. I don't know many people that solely rock the shoulders as the movement of the putter would be huge.

I try to go back on a slight arch and straight through.

I have switched things up, I do a small forward press to make my left wrist flat. That one move has made my putting more consistent. The roll seems less bouncy and contact more consistent at least

I find that I use a more arms type of a stroke I try to keep my hands and shoulders as still as I can.

I'm the opposite. I used to use my arms and it was okay, but the feeling of rocking my shoulders around my spine has given me so much more consistency, being able to keep everything going towards the target. I feel my aim has improved as a consequence and can putt the ball on the line I chose... It's just whether the line I chose was the correct one, is the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So so does anyone else putt with arms more so than hands or shoulders?

One thing is for sure in putting is there is no one right answer.

I go back and forth with both methods.
I get better speed control with rocking the arms and better line or direction with being more handsy.
I can control the line or really the face a bit more with use of the right hand.
When I use more shoulder rocking motion I use little or no hands.

Of course I tend to use a hybrid approach with moth methods.

Back