Cobra KING F6 Irons - THP Review Thread

That's an impressively wide range - but I think going from that hollow body iron to the standard blade-style wedge does that. Look at how many of the Cleveland/Srixon staff put the MTs in their bag at the 3/4i spot. Those are the best ball strikers in the word, and they went with a hollow body long iron. I sure can use the forgiveness there.

Have a few ongoing ponders with these, including a set w/ recoils.

Interesting. Might have to give these a test drive. Great writeup Jman!!

That's an impressively wide range - but I think going from that hollow body iron to the standard blade-style wedge does that. Look at how many of the Cleveland/Srixon staff put the MTs in their bag at the 3/4i spot. Those are the best ball strikers in the word, and they went with a hollow body long iron. I sure can use the forgiveness there.

Have a few ongoing ponders with these, including a set w/ recoils.

I've got some solid questions and answers from TO about the TECFLO blending and what it has accomplished in their minds as well as my takes on the performance. IMO, this takes a progressive set to a totally different level, and while most will look at that 5-26 gamut and go "Wow, no way", I can definitely see it.

Couple things, first, these will be joining me on the course/range tomorrow as the KBS Tour FLTD are fully cured now. Second, I mentioned earlier in here that we (THP) were reaching out to get some questions answered on the set and their design for an interview portion in the upcoming review, T.O. (Tom Olsavsky) was kind enough to do just that and there are two that I want to share ahead of the review:

THP: Although the stock shafts play significantly on the lightweight/flighted trend as well, Cobra is also offering a lot of popular heavier weight options at no upcharge. With that in mind, who do you view as the target audience with this set, is it one that can run the gamut?

T.O.: We believe the KING F6 iron is best positioned for typical amateur that ranges from 5-6 handicap up to the 25-30 handicap range. For the higher ranges, we offer the Cobra MAX line we is even easier to hit and more forgiving than the KING F6.

THP: What do you see the F6 Irons accomplishing for Cobra within the iron realm?

T.O.: I am very pleased with the Cobra KING F6 irons, from all aspects of performance, looks/feel and positioning. We expect them to sell well and provide golfers with a great new set of irons that answers their performance needs and brings more FUN to their golf games.

Quoting this for the morning crew to get to see the Q&A sneak peak

I had a fitting session at Haggin Oaks in Sacramento, CA last Friday. I hit the Cobra King F6 and Cobra Max.

I hit the ball about the same length with each set but the flight of the ball was higher with the Max. I love the sound of the ball coming off the face.

I hit my old 7 iron (Callaway X Hot) about 140 yards.

I hit the Cobra Max 7 iron 160 yards and about 10-20 feet higher.

I hit graphite shafts (regular and stiff) but hit it longer with the FST Steel Regular flex shaft.

They also weighted my old club (7 iron) and new one. The Max was about 25 grams lighter than the X Hot.

I ordered the Max clubs and will be in my bag in a week or so.

Very nice John! The MAX do exactly what they are designed to, this is honestly probably the most complete iron line top-to-bottom we have seen from Cobra yet with the KING CB/MB, KING Forged Tec, KING F6, and the MAX irons.

Not bad for a old man with two hip replacements! Lol

Quoting this for the morning crew to get to see the Q&A sneak peak

5-6 handicap playing the f6? i figured that was the range for the forged tec. interesting.

5-6 handicap playing the f6? i figured that was the range for the forged tec. interesting.

I think they overlap, and preference depends on your game. There's a guy I play with in our league, and he just hits the ball high and straight - so he sticks with the G10s he's had in the bag forever. Another guy is about the handicap buy moves the ball around all the time, he plays an (equally old) set of players cavities.

I like to hear it. Im hitting them outside tomorrow. Cant wait. Will report back around this time tomorrow.

I like to hear it. Im hitting them outside tomorrow. Cant wait. Will report back around this time tomorrow.

please do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well at least I hope I am. Noticed they arent officially on sale until Friday. Hopefully the place will have them in to demo already or might not be til Friday.

I'm typically in that range during mid-season and would have no issues leaving a set like this in the bag. They're plenty versatile IMO, and frankly I think they are going to be a very big 'sleeper' set this year.

Well at least I hope I am. Noticed they arent officially on sale until Friday. Hopefully the place will have them in to demo already or might not be til Friday.

Can't wait to hear more thoughts on them.

It's on!

LOVE multi-tasking while reviewing.

DSC_0008_zps4xk4so2v.jpg

I'm typically in that range during mid-season and would have no issues leaving a set like this in the bag. They're plenty versatile IMO, and frankly I think they are going to be a very big 'sleeper' set this year.

I thought their predecessor was as well. Of course, it took me WAY too long to even think about trying them, but I loved the Fly-Z when I finally did. These seem even more intriguing.

it's going to take a lot to kick my gamers out of the bag. but my heavy iron ponders right now are f6, forged tec and the cf16. james- any similarities and/or differences among those 3?

Jman,

How are the stock red tie shafts?

Thanks
Dave

F6 irons release today, curious to see if anyone will be going out this weekend to give them a try? I know eyes are on the Forged Tec, but I still believe these are the sleepers and perhaps best all around irons of their entire iron lineup.

This review should go up next week as I'm buttoning some things up today, I'll also have some thoughts on what I have seen with a move to 130g steel in the heads.

how does it compare with the C200?

Just got back from Golfsmith and doing a head to head with these two, with the Max thrown in for good measure. The F6 and Max both had their stock steel offering in regular, while my C200 was sporting a DG S300.

Shaft differences aside the F6 compares very well overall to the C200 in both distance and dispersion. Misses thin were basically a wash, while on misses toe side the edge goes to the 200. I failed to do a sh@^k comparison though The Max was shorter for me but the monitor was showing really high spin compared to the other two.

The F6 sets up very nicely at address and I prefer its darker finish to the polished finish on the 200. This is an incredibly solid offering from Cobra and deserves a hard look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am still playing the Amp Cells not sure if anyone has experience hitting these and the Amp Cells but what would be the biggest difference between the 2 offerings?

Thanks in advance

I am still playing the Amp Cells not sure if anyone has experience hitting these and the Amp Cells but what would be the biggest difference between the 2 offerings?

Thanks in advance

Exponentially better launch through the set where most need it (long irons), also much improved ball speeds from the AC's. IMO they are an improvement in pretty much every facet from the AC's, Bio's, and FlyZ's.

F6 irons release today, curious to see if anyone will be going out this weekend to give them a try? I know eyes are on the Forged Tec, but I still believe these are the sleepers and perhaps best all around irons of their entire iron lineup

After your thoughts, I really kind of want to, just to see what's going on.

Back