PTx Irons For THPers - The 2016 Ben Hogan Experience

Oh wow, congrats Frank!

You guys are so lucky! How do I not buy these irons until I read your reviews? Not going to be easy!

Congrats!

Congrats Frank!

Congrats Frank!!!

Congrats Frank.

Congrats Frank!

Congrats on the selection T4K! I'm looking forward to meeting you and the others. This is going to be a fantastic adventure!!!!

Lots of talk between cookie, texashacker and bigtex yesterday during out round. So many what if's and maybe's we spit out about what's to come. Can't wait to see the information behind the brand once you guys are there.

Got my fix for the day with last year's irons. Can't wait to see what reality brings with the PTx.
6320b0bcb87d5fca0d12b67676832684.jpg

Congrats Frank, welcome aboard. This is going to be awesome.

Can't wait for this to come so we can hear some feedback. There are six very lucky people that are going to have the experience of a lifetime

These irons have been on my mind so much lately. I'm really curious what kind of setup I'll be put into by the experts at Ben Hogan and what I'm going to do with a wedge setup to compliment it. Right now my V4 GW at 51* is my most used club and the PTx don't go that high so it will be important to see how that gap get's filled, or circumvented.

These irons have been on my mind so much lately. I'm really curious what kind of setup I'll be put into by the experts at Ben Hogan and what I'm going to do with a wedge setup to compliment it. Right now my V4 GW at 51* is my most used club and the PTx don't go that high so it will be important to see how that gap get's filled, or circumvented.

I'm 100% with you on these two questions.

I had a range session today where I really focused on where I was hitting the ball on the club face with my 8i. I will be putting the playability and forgiveness of these clubs to a very solid test. I really look forward to seeing how they perform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah it is hard not to think about them every time I pull an iron out of the bag, I like the V4's just fine but a bit more forgiveness will be great and I am a V sole fan.
Pondering Shaft options hard, wonder if Steelfibers could be on the table? They are not listed as an option on the website but who knows and it appears I do need graphite from the discomfort I am seeing from the last 4-5 rounds with Steel shafts. Dispersion is better, but oh the pain.

Army's point about wedges is also interesting, I love the V4 gap wedge also so how they address the gapping will be fun to see. I can see myself buying a set of wedges from them to round out the set.

PTx Irons For THPers - The 2016 Ben Hogan Experience

The guys that got into this are in for something special. I got to hit a few of the PTxs today & they are so solid feeling its ridiculous.
1st swing I took was from 155 with the 31*. It never left the stick, but was about 3 yards too long.
They felt so good, but I refused to hit anymore because I just got the CF16s & put Steefibers in them. I don't need this ponder creeping in my head.

The guys that got into this are in for something special. I got to hit a few of the PTxs today & they are so solid feeling its ridiculous.
1st swing I took was from 155 with the 31*. It never left the stick, but was about 3 yards too long.
They felt so good, but I refused to hit anymore because I just got the CF16s & put Steefibers in them. I don't need this ponder creeping in my head.

That's great to hear! Is 31* comparable to your normal 155 club?

That's great to hear! Is 31* comparable to your normal 155 club?

It was just a little shorter than my CF16 7 iron.

Can't wait to read the reviews!

This is going to be such a great follow! Cannot wait for this candle to get lit!

JM

It was just a little shorter than my CF16 7 iron.
The CF16s are generally considered to be long, aren't they? If so, that is impressive about the Hogans.

Some good reading and info will be showing up on their website. Looking forward to meeting Terry and all these people!

• Steve Dreyer, our Director of Operations, came to Hogan from Wilson in 1985 and oversaw the production of millions of Ben Hogan golf clubs until the last one was made in the U.S. in 2005. We don’t believe there is a better “golf club guy” on the planet.

• Barry Simpter, Senior Sales Advisor, spent the first 25 years of his business career at the Ben Hogan Company, starting as District Manager in New England and rising to National Sales Manager during the “glory years”. His experience helps ensure we are always the “real” Ben Hogan Company to our customers and trade partners.

• Barbara Coats, Executive Assistant, joined the Ben Hogan Company in 1972 and over the next 35 years, she spent time in nearly every department – marketing, sales, customer service and international. She had numerous personal encounters with Mr. Hogan and helps guide us in his principles.

• Ronnie McGraw, Senior R&D Consultant, spent 35 years on the Ben Hogan team, working side-by-side with Gene Sheeley, Mr. Hogan’s design leader and personal model maker. Ronnie has a keen understanding for what Mr. Hogan saw in golf clubs, and he makes a priceless contribution to the Ben Hogan mission.

Last edited:
Bump for the PTx, not much we can talk about yet information wise but still very excited to see the facility and meet the folks behind the scenes. I have done the hoganfit 3 or 4 times and come out somewhat different each time. How it shakes out will be some combination of lofts to equal a 4-PW, AW.

It is still a bit hard to wrap the head around the actual lofts and not think of the old style numbers and I can see how closing the gaps on the higher side could make for better shot making from 35* on up to 63*.

But I have never been good enough to hit a say 123 yd shot spot on the money, distance not being the problem but my piss poor alignment or just swinging out of whack. That would normally be my now 51* G wedge, so will the 51 deg PTx fly about the same? I would think the shaft would have some affect on distances, but I tend to overthink shafts a bit and have screwed myself on some good sets by moving on to "something better" that turned out to be not better at all.

Anyway, excited for the month to go by and get to Ft. Worth.

I too have worn out the Hogan Fit and its too the point that I'm going to 100% trust what the guys at Hogan think for set composition.
I haven't put much thought into shafts because quite often my preconceived ideas about how shafts will perform is WAY off.

The look at address seems to be a fantastic size - enough meat to know you've got some help but small enough to pass the eye test.

Back