Golf Bag Travel - 50 lb. Limit

I fly a lot with my clubs. I transfer everything from my mini-staff Callaway bag to a Sun Mountain Four5. I have about 20 tees in the carry bag, usually no more than 10 balls, one repair tool, one ball marker, driver tool, stiff arm, one or two gloves and my ball retriever. All this in my Club Glider usually weighs in around 37 lbs.

For some reason, I'm always at the 50 lb limit. My Ogio Mammoth bag is pretty heavy by itself at 17.4 lbs

Last time at the Phx airport, the guy checking me in made me move some stuff out of my bag because it was 52 lbs....

The two trips I took last year I had no issues and even added a pair of shoes to the travel bag. On the way home added an extra club and some small items still came in under 50lbs

Outside of what you have mentioned, I will take out all golf balls.

~Rock

Never really have had issue with weight. Being Diamond with Delta they normally don't say anything when I know I'm over weight.

At the same time to answer the OP question, I would probably drop some of the balls and weather gear based on the area I am traveling to. Oh yeah the extra pair of shoes I normally carrying in the bag also.

I flew over the holidays, had my Club Glider (journey) a cart bag with 14 clubs and usual accessories, a club glove extender to protect the driver my golf shoes with trees in them 2 1/5s of alcohol and my toiletry bag in there and came out to 43 lbs when I dropped it off.

Not sure what else I could cram in there to get over 50lbs.

all the electronics go in my backpack carryon... Usually i lose the things like bug spray/sunscreen from the bag along with any water etc.. Otherwise the bag is pretty sparse as is... One thing i'm going to start doing is packing more in my golf bag overall.. Last couple times i've only topped out at 37lbs so i have a little room to work with. Makes it easier if i don't have a second checked bag.

Usually don't remove anything from my bag. Haven't had a problem with it being over weight limit. I have my clubs, rage finder, speaker, 2 doz. balls, a few gloves, pitchfix, towel, and tees in my bag and that's it.

I have a SunMountain C130, which is a generic almost-staff bag. I keep pretty much the kitchen sink in there, so it definitely wouldn't make the 50-pound limit.

For my trip to #TheGauntlet, I bought a cheap TopFlite stand bag, which was the lightest thing I could find.

I take out all of the extra balls, remove the removable heads, and any electronics.

I used my lighter weight carry bag, mostly because I didn't want to run the risk of the Grandaddy bag getting damaged. I took out a few things (driver head, range finder) but was shocked that it all came to about 35 pounds. Then I loaded my golf shoes, regular shoes, a grip of clothes and a few of my wife's items. Still only came out to about 44 pounds. Like others are saying, you really gotta work to get to that 50 pound limit!

Balls for me, I just traveled with my bag and I snuck another travel bag in for my buddy because his clubs were already down there so I was at 51 lbs.

Clubs, a dozen balls, some tees, repair tool, shoes, towel. Anything else can go in luggage

Back