Callaway Growing the Game Outside of the Box

im not sure that trick shot videos will get someone into regular golf. It's a good idea for cross promotion though. I think they just have to continue to be innovative with things like Callaway Live and #TheGrandaddy and they will continue to thrive.

Its one of the reasons that marketshare has not veered in categories for decades, despite copyable items.

It has been a long time since I've studied Golf Datatech releases, but if my memory serves me the only category that hasn't seen market share swings between the majors (historically) has been balls and wedges, no?

It has been a long time since I've studied Golf Datatech releases, but if my memory serves me the only category that hasn't seen market share swings between the majors (historically) has been balls and wedges, no?

Putters.
Footwear.
One could argue metal woods.
Gloves
I mean there are not that many more categories.

Heck, I think one could argue the only category that has had swings repeatedly is irons and that was brief.

Harry answers the release question pretty specifically and I think mimics what Chip said at the Grandaddy.

What better way to get the information than straight from the CEO of the company.

Putters.
Footwear.
One could argue metal woods.
Gloves
I mean there are not that many more categories.

Heck, I think one could argue the only category that has had swings repeatedly is irons and that was brief.

Harry answers the release question pretty specifically and I think mimics what Chip said at the Grandaddy.

What better way to get the information than straight from the CEO of the company.

Yes, putters. Athletic footwear market shares have historically been stagnant. Didn't think of gloves.

I would argue even that technology advancements in communication break down barriers for future market share changes. Only time will tell on that, however you are most certainly right about the past.

Will enter Grandaddy comp (just renewed my Club Albatross membership), and would hope to ask these questions to management, but I'm just trying to shake up the conversation here. I have followed Callaway for a while from more than just a golfer's perspective, as I used to be an ELY investor. With that said, if I made it into the Grandaddy, I would probably just be another fanboy at this point, gushing over all their latest and greatest!

Yes, putters. Athletic footwear market shares have historically been stagnant. Didn't think of gloves.

I would argue even that technology advancements in communication break down barriers for future market share changes. Only time will tell on that, however you are most certainly right about the past.

Will enter Grandaddy comp (just renewed my Club Albatross membership), and would hope to ask these questions to management, but I'm just trying to shake up the conversation here. I have followed Callaway for a while from more than just a golfer's perspective, as I used to be an ELY investor. With that said, if I made it into the Grandaddy, I would probably just be another fanboy at this point, gushing over all their latest and greatest!

Hahah. The best part of it is, during the conversation with management, they really want you to ask. They love the open nature.
I do think many things in marketing (golf and otherwise) are capable of being mimicked, but the people are what make something authentic, and I don't say that speaking of Callaway, just in general. We see it in our own work all of the time.

I think the message is great and they do an amazing job of putting it out there, but the message has to be backed up in the product, and it very much is.

For as much as I love the Zoo Crew and everything they've done to keep folks like us engaged and actively talking about them, it wouldnt mean much they weren't putting out such consistently amazing product.

My club is putting Callaway in the proshop this year, and it is because of everything I said above. It has had me talking up the company and their gear at the club non stop and almost forcing people to try my Cally gear on the range since the '14 Gauntlet.

When I heard that the Callaway rep had come through and that the club was bringing them in, I was obviously excited, but our pro made a point to tell me that he dropped my name to the rep because of how often I talked about getting Callaway in our shop.

None of that happens without Callaway doing what they do. I dont stump for companies. There is only one other brand Ive ever stumped for, and it isnt a golf company. Thats a testament to what they do, and how well they do it. They are really good at making us feel connected to them in some way, like we are more than just consumers, and that is a really important aspect of developing those kinds of relationships.

Its like they have taken the classic mom-and-pop, place where everyone knows your name, personal relationship business model and applied it to a large scale distribution, corporate business. Total stroke of genius, IMO

Back