How best to remove 2nd generation SuperStroke 3.0 putter grip ?

uman

Oldest guy in the room
Reaction score
Handicap
back srg'y
My syringes are shot, don't have an air compressor. I do have a metal thingy that works great on easily removing grips from irons etc. I feel that tool will not work well on the removal of a SS putter grip because the opening at the bottom of the grip will end up looking like crap once I pry on it and gradually drip solvent in to loosen.

Any ideas if my grip remover can work, or is it a no go?

I have never had any luck removing a SS grip, and I can remove any other grip with ease and no damage.

Not sure which one is the 2nd generation, but I have removed a couple of the style that was immediately prior to the 2015 style using the metal tool that slides up through the bottom of the grip and solvent. Don't recall it being easy, but I got it done without any grip damage.

Not sure which one is the 2nd generation, but I have removed a couple of the style that was immediately prior to the 2015 style using the metal tool that slides up through the bottom of the grip and solvent. Don't recall it being easy, but I got it done without any grip damage.

I call the second generation the ones that came out after the original one. The original just slid on and then you simply secured it to the shaft with an allen wrench. Probably should not have even used the second generation term. Good to hear it can be done, with patience. When I attempted removal I gave up fearing damage. How many times did u drop solvent in there? Once I start sliding the metal tool coated with solvent up the grip a little, I then pry the bottom of the grip out word slightly and drip in more solvent in that small open area then slide the tool up a little more and so on until the tool is reaching the top area of the grip and the tape bond is cleared.

I call the second generation the ones that came out after the original one. The original just slid on and then you simply secured it to the shaft with an allen wrench. Probably should not have even used the second generation term. Good to hear it can be done, with patience. When I attempted removal I gave up fearing damage. How many times did u drop solvent in there? Once I start sliding the metal tool coated with solvent up the grip a little, I then pry the bottom of the grip out word slightly and drip in more solvent in that small open area then slide the tool up a little more and so on until the tool is reaching the top area of the grip and the tape bond is cleared.
I usually work in fourths. Dip the tool in solvent then try to go about a fourth of the way up then slide the tool around the whole shaft. Pull tool out the repeat the same steps three or so more times. I have an air compressor to I typically let that take over after I get the grip loosened about 80% of the way to the butt end.

I usually work in fourths. Dip the tool in solvent then try to go about a fourth of the way up then slide the tool around the whole shaft. Pull tool out the repeat the same steps three or so more times. I have an air compressor to I typically let that take over after I get the grip loosened about 80% of the way to the butt end.
This is how I have done it and I have had success but man it is not easy by any means.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I use air with solvent and they come off very easy. Squirt solvent down the hole and in the shaft. Apply air to force the solvent between the shaft and grip. Keep the pressure on wiggle back and forth and grip will blow off in a minute or so.

Last edited:
I use air without solvent and they come off very easy. Squirt solvent down the hole and in the shaft. Apply air to force the solvent between the shaft and grip. Keep the pressure on wiggle back and forth and grip will blow off in a minute or so.

This is exactly how I do it.

That should have been "with" solvent.

Back