Driver swing vs iron swing

The swings are gonna be slightly different I guess due to different ball positions. But they feel the same to me.

Different but with how bad my driver has been but irons have been solid maybe I should rethink it

I would say they are different swings. The instructor I am seeing now is saying they should be the same so I am kind of at a loss now in that aspect.

If your clubs are properly matched you should be able to apply the same swing to all your clubs. To find a way of matching clubs in such a manner has been the Holy Grail of golf for 500 years. The only solution to this problem is the Biomatch method. Most likely your Driver is too light and its MOI to large. If that is the case, you will tend to slice the driver if you apply the same swing to your driver as you do to your irons.
Confused. How MOI has anything to do with slicing. If the face is open to the path you will slice(or fade), not much else to it ignoring gear effect.

Confused. How MOI has anything to do with slicing. If the face is open to the path you will slice(or fade), not much else to it ignoring gear effect.

maybe he means the lightweight driver is causing path-to-face problems? seems hard to nail that to one particular miss. but i agree that the moi is a strange thing to blame for a slice.

I've said it a million times and I see it doesn't matter. You swing the clubs the exact way. Having two different actions explains a great deal to me. There is nothing wrong with people playing the way they want but you should swing every club the way you swing a 7iron. The distance you stand from the ball and ball position will change. The arms move back the same, the shoulders turn the same and the down swing and thru are the same.

That or he meant lightweight as in a shaft that had too much flex, that will screw things up pretty quick but just light always equals too much flex isn't really correct.

I've said it a million times and I see it doesn't matter. You swing the clubs the exact way. Having two different actions explains a great deal to me. There is nothing wrong with people playing the way they want but you should swing every club the way you swing a 7iron. The distance you stand from the ball and ball position will change. The arms move back the same, the shoulders turn the same and the down swing and thru are the same.
I have a feeling I have been overthinking the driver issues. Had a solid range session with every other club, good distance starting on my intended line ect. Next session just going to grab the driver and stand a little farther away then the irons and put it up in my stance and just swing from there. No thinking about it.

I understand the concept, I really do and strive to execute it. My over analytical mind sometimes has issues visualizing the shoulder turn plane being the same when the tilt at setup is different

I understand the concept, I really do and strive to execute it. My over analytical mind sometimes has issues visualizing the shoulder turn plane being the same when the tilt at setup is different

So does your posture change with the driver vs the sand wedge? Do you bend the knees less or bend less at the waist? If so you will have two swing planes. If not then you plan should be the same

So does your posture change with the driver vs the sand wedge? Do you bend the knees less or bend less at the waist? If so you will have two swing planes. If not then you plan should be the same
Not swing plane. I mean the plane on which the shoulders rotate. With spine tilt away from the ball with driver it has to be a bit different shoulder turning plane right?

For me, if I'm playing well, the swings feel the same for me. So that's what I strive for, but don't always get.

It all comes down to setup for me. If my setup is awry, my swing will be.

Not swing plane. I mean the plane on which the shoulders rotate. With spine tilt away from the ball with driver it has to be a bit different shoulder turning plane right?

All spine tilt does is change your AOA at impact. It's used when you have too flat of a swing and are using a flex that is too strong. You swing fast but not forceful. Meaning, as hard as you swing your transition doesn't produce that lag for that launch. So you add spine tilt for a higher launch.

Let me say that the worlds best players do alter some swings to achieve various shots. The same swing is not used 100% of the time. But for a stock move off the tee or fairway the action is the same.

Light bulb...maybe not so different after all possibly. Need this stupid weather to clear up and revisit this thought. Setup and spine will be focused on.

Last edited:
Let me say that the worlds best players do alter some swings to achieve various shots. The same swing is not used 100% of the time. But for a stock move off the tee or fairway the action is the same.

This mans advice on this subject specifically helped my game greatly.

It feels like 2 different swings to me but according to a one Mr. Lightningbolt my swings were the same.

I believe they are the same. I have the same swing thoughts for both: turn, shift, turn. Sounds like it should be a simple game. :act-up:

How can they be the same swing? When you drive you spread your legs more, angle slightly back, hit up on the ball, and may even tilt your front foot a bit. With irons and wedges my stance is more narrow with a steeper swing and the feeling of less of a weight shift than with a diver. When I swing a diver I try to sweep, when I swing an iron I hit down. I'm confused how everyone can say they're the same swing.

Swing path is the same for me with all clubs. I want the swing path to be -3 to -6 (positive number if your right handed) and face angle to be -1.5 to -3. This will give me the same ball flight with each club, push draws.

There are some slight compensations made for length of club - widening of stance and ball position as examples. I don't feel I make any real big posture changes between clubs. I know my shoulder tilt is pretty constant between all clubs and am guessing my spine angle is as well.

Every lesson I get is on trackman and video. My instructor and I spend a great deal of time reviewing my numbers. We also have saved my best swings with certain clubs. That way if I get a little off we can check numbers and posture. To see where I need to be.

For me, there are obvious differences, ball position and distance from the ball, but I don't force my spine tilt. I just put the ball off of my left foot and tilt enough to get my driver behind the ball. From there, driver and iron swings are the same. Shoulder turn back, level hips coming through, pause and admire.

I have a tendency to slide my hips and get my head out in front a bit with the driver. While I may have that issue with the shorter clubs, it becomes a two way miss with my driver.

That is my present work in progress

My irons, I swing around 90 mph and my driver is around 115 mph, so with angle of attack, ball position, etc., my swing is different. With my 3rd swing change in 3 years I've had a few issues with contact on the driver, so my instructor has me take like 10 swings and stop at the moment of impact and see if its looking good and then I kill it. going to be a good year me thinks. Otherwise I seem to regress into my last years swing. Work in progress as I know I cannot do that during a round or it would take forever.
Courses are just starting to open up around here, so got a bit of time to work this out.

I try to keep it the same. I get it trouble when I start to think I should be putting a different move on it trying to squeeze out some extra distance.

I try to keep it the same. I get it trouble when I start to think I should be putting a different move on it trying to squeeze out some extra distance.
For sure that brings trouble. I know it well lol

Back