Anyone on here find success from cutting their driver down from stock length???

TheFlyingWASP

Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone on here find success from cutting their driver down from stock length??? What did you do about swing weight, if anything? Did it work? Are you happy w/ the results?

Anyone on here find success from cutting their driver down from stock length???

Anyone on here find success from cutting their driver down from stock length??? What did you do about swing weight, if anything? Did it work? Are you happy w/ the results???

I play a 44.5" most of the time. I only buy drivers I can alter the head weight on since I hate hot melt. If you're going to cut down make sure to get the SW back to where you want it.

Yes I play mine at 44.5 with a slightly heavier shaft and am much more consistent with that setup.

Immediate benefits of distance and accuracy for me playing at 45". I am actually pondering going even shorter when/if I get a new driver, possibly 44".

Cut my shafts to 44.5" playing length. I don't concern myself with swing weight. I just hit the ball.

I really want to cut down a driver to 43' and just go with a second driver. I hit 3 wood off the tee ok, but I dont really see myself using that a ton anywhere else on the course this year. So a 2nd "mini" driver might make more sense.

I feel like I can stay in the shot with a shorter driver better than a longer driver. But I've played 2 drivers at 44.5" and can still hit horrible shots with them if I put a bad swing on them. It's certainly no cure all in my opinion.

I want the largest potential arc I can control. 45" is a pretty good length for me. I would go up to 46" if I was brave enough.

I play my drivers at 45. I have a hard time controlling standard driver lengths that are 45.75 or 46. I don't worry about swing weight. If you look at most Pro's WITB...They play their drivers at 45 or less.....

I had mine cut down to 44". Didn't mess with the swing weight. I've hit some good shots with it. I've hit some bad shots with it. I've always struggled keeping the driver straight though.

Another consideration is to counterweight the driver by adding weight at the butt end.
Ping did this with the G30 drivers using a 45.75" shaft and the results speak for themselves.

I choke up to 43.5" on a 45" inch driver. It seems to go the same distance, with better control.

I took 1/2" off an older mx500 driver and it really seemed to make a difference for me. I feel I have more control and didn't see any loss in distance. In fact, I think I am going to game that driver tomorrow.

For a few years, I played drivers between 44.25" and 44.5", as that was where I had much better contact and dispersion (which still wasn't terribly good). After really working on my full swing, I now feel comfortable, and get decent results, at 45". Not quite ready to go beyond that length, yet. Maybe I'll experiment with that this year.

Anyone on here find success from cutting their driver down from stock length??? What did you do about swing weight, if anything? Did it work? Are you happy w/ the results?

I have been cutting down drivers for years. SW is only important to you. Only you will know if it matters. My current driver is super short by today's standards, but it was a special order to keep the D3 SW which is perfect for me in my driver and woods.

The answer the OP. I play my GBB at standard length and love it. If I need to choke down, I choke down.

I did, when I got fit, they cut my driver down to 43.5 I believe and I had one of my best driving seasons ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cut my old one down to 43 1/2 and it helped me.
Did lose about five yards in distance but I stayed in the fairway more often. Did nothing to the weight and didn't notice any difference in it.
Good luck
Tazz

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I play mine at 44" with a 72g shaft. Love it.

All my drivers get cut down to 44.5". This works well for me, plus I use a mini-driver at 43.5". I don't really lose all that much distance between the two.

The answer the OP. I play my GBB at standard length and love it. If I need to choke down, I choke down.

Good point. I've been playing a 50g-ish shaft for so long that's what is "normal" to me.

Back