The House Searching / Buying/ Building Thread

Rough man, it's such a hard time to be a buyer.
Thanks..in the end, it is what it is.. It is disappointing but not the end of the world. The fact that with 4 offers there was no request for a best and final is still surprising for me, but I guess it means that someone made one helluva offer. Just means that the house for us is still out there and we will find it.

Thanks..in the end, it is what it is.. It is disappointing but not the end of the world. The fact that with 4 offers there was no request for a best and final is still surprising for me, but I guess it means that someone made one helluva offer. Just means that the house for us is still out there and we will find it.
Yeah that is surely unusual. But we have only asked for highest and best from the offers in the running before. For instance if we had multiple cash offers on a property that would struggle to appraise.

Usually when we have buyers lose out in a house they end up much happier in the one they find in the end.

Yeah that is surely unusual. But we have only asked for highest and best from the offers in the running before. For instance if we had multiple cash offers on a property that would struggle to appraise.

Usually when we have buyers lose out in a house they end up much happier in the one they find in the end.

So it appears that we have a weird turn of events. We noticed today that the house has been relisted with a price increase. Our agent is reaching out to the agent to find out what is going on, but we are starting to think that they rejected all 4 offers they received and relisted the house at a higher price. What makes it even stranger - they are listing it for $5,000 more. It also could be a complete mistake by the listing agent so we are not sure. Whole thing is strange.

In the meantime we are going to look at another house tomorrow.

So it appears that we have a weird turn of events. We noticed today that the house has been relisted with a price increase. Our agent is reaching out to the agent to find out what is going on, but we are starting to think that they rejected all 4 offers they received and relisted the house at a higher price. What makes it even stranger - they are listing it for $5,000 more. It also could

Sounds like a situation you don't want to get into. That's just slimy.

Sounds like a situation you don't want to get into. That's just slimy.
It really does sound slimy and I think we are leaning towards walking away completely.

I am not sure why you would reject all and only raise the price $5k. Doesn't make sense to me. With 4 offers, why not have them offer best in final.

The more I type the more I am leaning towards walking away.

It really does sound slimy and I think we are leaning towards walking away completely.

I am not why you would reject all and only raise the price on $5k. Doesn't make sense to me. With 4 offers, why not have them offer best in final.

The more I type the more I am leaning towards walking away.

Exactly. I'm all for making money, not gouging people. Just walk on that one dude.

So it appears that we have a weird turn of events. We noticed today that the house has been relisted with a price increase. Our agent is reaching out to the agent to find out what is going on, but we are starting to think that they rejected all 4 offers they received and relisted the house at a higher price. What makes it even stranger - they are listing it for $5,000 more. It also could be a complete mistake by the listing agent so we are not sure. Whole thing is strange.

If that is true, it sounds like an awful lot of hassle for them to possibly make an extra 5k on the deal. If it were me, I would be staying far far away unless it was my perfect dream home.

If that is true, it sounds like an awful lot of hassle for them to possibly make an extra 5k on the deal. If it were me, I would be staying far far away unless it was my perfect dream home.
Considering that there is about $10k worth of immediate tree work that needs to be immediately done - I would say it isn't my dream home.

IIRC you offered them asking price, right? If so, and this isn't a mistake re: the listing, I'd tell them to pound sand and find a house with better sellers.

For the real estate agents out there ... I read somewhere that stated that writing a letter alongside your offer, letting the sellers know who you are, etc may help your case with them. I guess this could go either way ... if you're a young family with kids, the sellers might sympathize and take a slightly lower offer, or they could hate kids and exclude you completely. Have you ever seen any of your clients write a letter and did it hurt/help or just be a waste of time?

Very interesting. Just to be a d!ck, I'd make my original offer again. Just because they ask more, doesn't mean the original interested buyers will pay more. I'm guessing they saw dollar signs with 4 big offers right away and are trying to cash in on a little more.

I'll offer a possible counter point. These people are selling their biggest asset, and we don't know what their motivation or situation is. It could be they honestly need every penny out of it. Their agent may not have prepared them that the market is nuts and they may get multiple offers within the first couple days on the market. When they were surprised by that they may have felt their agent had priced the house incorrectly and everyone was offering because it was under priced. They may not be playing games, but just legitimately scared that they made a mistake. It can be a scary ride for some sellers, and you never know how good their agent is.

I'm not saying the above is true, but it could be a million reasons why they did what they did. It's easy to the seller and think they are playing games, but we don't know what led to this. The smart move would probably have been to call for highest and best. Obviously you should only pay what the house is worth to you, but you were prepared to go up on your offer before, I wouldn't walk away over emotions. Make what you still feel is a fair offer, and let it play out. JMO of course

For the real estate agents out there ... I read somewhere that stated that writing a letter alongside your offer, letting the sellers know who you are, etc may help your case with them. I guess this could go either way ... if you're a young family with kids, the sellers might sympathize and take a slightly lower offer, or they could hate kids and exclude you completely. Have you ever seen any of your clients write a letter and did it hurt/help or just be a waste of time?

We've done it. My mom more than me, and she thinks it helps.

IIRC you offered them asking price, right? If so, and this isn't a mistake re: the listing, I'd tell them to pound sand and find a house with better sellers.

Very interesting. Just to be a d!ck, I'd make my original offer again. Just because they ask more, doesn't mean the original interested buyers will pay more. I'm guessing they saw dollar signs with 4 big offers right away and are trying to cash in on a little more.
I am in agreement with both of you - the while thing stinks and I am inclined to lower our offer. Unfortunately Dawn really likes the house which makes it difficult for me to do that. Right now we are still debating our next step while waiting to hear back from our realtor on the status of the house.

I'll offer a possible counter point. These people are selling their biggest asset, and we don't know what their motivation or situation is. It could be they honestly need every penny out of it. Their agent may not have prepared them that the market is nuts and they may get multiple offers within the first couple days on the market. When they were surprised by that they may have felt their agent had priced the house incorrectly and everyone was offering because it was under priced. They may not be playing games, but just legitimately scared that they made a mistake. It can be a scary ride for some sellers, and you never know how good their agent is.

I'm not saying the above is true, but it could be a million reasons why they did what they did. It's easy to the seller and think they are playing games, but we don't know what led to this. The smart move would probably have been to call for highest and best. Obviously you should only pay what the house is worth to you, but you were prepared to go up on your offer before, I wouldn't walk away over emotions. Make what you still feel is a fair offer, and let it play out. JMO of course

The realtor could offer to take a discount then.

I've seen it help and I've seen it hurt, it's hard because in most situations, you don't know who the seller is. If they are a touchy feely type it can definitely help. I've seen others get annoyed with the buyers because they feel the buyer is trying to manipulate them, and it is all about the dollars and cents to them. I am on the listing side the majority of time, and have only seen a couple sellers say it impacted their decision.

The only time I would probably go to it is if I had a family who is having to put little down and ask for closing costs in a market where there are alot of offers without those being asked. It might help if you have a sympathetic story, just know it could backfire also. Some agents swear by them.

The realtor could offer to take a discount then.

They could, and may already be doing so, we have no idea. I'm not at all saying its that scenario, just saying it could be anything, and I wouldn't let emotions drive me away from the house if I still thought it was a good deal and the right house.

I am in agreement with both of you - the while thing stinks and I am inclined to lower our offer. Unfortunately Dawn really likes the house which makes it difficult for me to do that. Right now we are still debating our next step while waiting to hear back from our realtor on the status of the house.
My wife and I are going through this whole process right now. I keep telling her to not get attached to a particular house because we could wind up overpaying. That we're still in an enviable position ... we don't need to move, we just want to move. It's not like there is only one house for us that will ever hit the market ... eventually we'll get ours. Good luck with the whole process, it's frustrating!

A lot of what you posted I think you are spot on. One of the things I first noticed when viewing the house that it appeared that a single, older woman lived in the home and that house was underpriced. Not sure who set that price, I am assuming the agent, but it was priced lower than what is on the market in that neighborhood. So I tend to think that agent underestimated the area and is trying to get more money for the client.

Right now I am trying to remove emotion out of situation..My girlfriend seems to be much better at it than me.. We are still in it as of right now and if we offer it will be competitive.

We are scheduled to close on the sale of a 4 family house I own on Tuesday (fingers crossed). With that sale, we can begin the hunt for our first home. Trying to hold excitement until the ink dries and funds are deposited.

I've seen it help and I've seen it hurt, it's hard because in most situations, you don't know who the seller is. If they are a touchy feely type it can definitely help. I've seen others get annoyed with the buyers because they feel the buyer is trying to manipulate them, and it is all about the dollars and cents to them. I am on the listing side the majority of time, and have only seen a couple sellers say it impacted their decision.

The only time I would probably go to it is if I had a family who is having to put little down and ask for closing costs in a market where there are alot of offers without those being asked. It might help if you have a sympathetic story, just know it could backfire also. Some agents swear by them.

Myself personally if I was the seller like I have been a few times this would annoy me. Unless I was connected to my parents land or something similar this is a buisness decision for me.

Frustrated with our realtor who didn't want to show us houses in a nearby town. Kept telling us it was a bad investment, but we like the area, the houses are less expensive (but bigger), and it'd put us within minutes of all our friends and the CC. So we looked around with a new realtor, and houses we had to drag our old realtor to, we were shown a second time. The attitude of a realtor really makes a difference. Houses we had passed on, now have come into play, and for good prices. They're a bit older (some built in the 50's) but they're solid, and with some reno's would make great houses we can grow old in. The neighborhoods are all great as well. We finally have some options.

We closed Friday and our new home is beautiful, we're having the interior painted, cleaned and we'll begin the move in in the next week or two.

Feels good to own again

Congrats trout. Enjoy the new home

We closed Friday and our new home is beautiful, we're having the interior painted, cleaned and we'll begin the move in in the next week or two.

Feels good to own again

Congrats!!!!

Back