Okay Upstate NY THPers

Let me ask this question. Lets say there is equipment involved in this event and between that, the team atmosphere, and a ton of other surprises that will take place at this one it becomes a go to on your 2016 list. You decide you want to be captain and THP thinks you would be a good captain.

What happens post event to the gear? I guess the question is, do you need to know what the equipment is, before deciding on whether or not you want to be captain? Personally I think the captains do have a bit more skin in the game in terms of post event discussion. I could be off here, and its merely my opinion on the subject, but would like to hear yours.

I keep the gear post event and review and generate discussion on THP and social media about it. I don't sell it on ebay or on the forum if the time comes where I don't have a use for it I will keep it in my backup bag or gift it to another THPer or golfer who needs it more than me.

I don't have any preference knowing what the gear is ahead of time, just being able to learn from the oem and do it amongst friends and a blast while doing it is my overall goal for THP events.

Not at all. Provide me with a few tees and a sleeve of balls and I'll run with a review like no other.

But see that is different. When it comes to irons, wedges, putter and other things, it is a personal preference. Guys have gone to events, received these things and then quickly moved past them. I say that not to bag on them, because honestly I dont care, if its not stated ahead of time, they can do whatever they want to and the goal is fun in the end of course.

In this instance, post event reviews will be part of the event as a whole. So if it is a personal piece of equipment, will one be able to continue to review? Or really, want to review? And does a Captain have more at stake?

Normally I wouldnt even ask this stuff, but it came up today in conversation, so I was genuinely curious what THPers thoughts were as it pertains to captains.

If there's equipment at stake, the equipment needs to be kept long enough to give and answer feedback from people.

I guess my answer would be, keep it for as long as you're capable of giving feedback, both good and not so good. That might be entirely person dependent, and that's fine too. I wouldn't want a captain to be someone though who knew all of that going into things and then got something that wasn't right for their game, and then immediately ditched it post event just because they didn't like it. That doesn't feel like someone who got what the event was about and really repped that sponsor.

I hope that makes sense?

But see that is different. When it comes to irons, wedges, putter and other things, it is a personal preference. Guys have gone to events, received these things and then quickly moved past them. I say that not to bag on them, because honestly I dont care, if its not stated ahead of time, they can do whatever they want to and the goal is fun in the end of course.

In this instance, post event reviews will be part of the event as a whole. So if it is a personal piece of equipment, will one be able to continue to review? Or really, want to review? And does a Captain have more at stake?

Normally I wouldnt even ask this stuff, but it came up today in conversation, so I was genuinely curious what THPers thoughts were as it pertains to captains.

Well some will definitely feel different, but to turn down a Captaincy because of personal preferences seems rash to me. Feel that the event is being over looked.

As for the equipment, being able to and wanting to continue to review should be a given. I have several pieces of equipment, provided by THP that are special to me and won't be going anywhere. Every now and then I still dive into those threads and put thoughts in.

But we all know there will be a flip side to equipment. Some will say it's to do what they want with it. Oh I could go on and on.

My final answer is...the stake is higher for the captain, but knowing what is to be reviewed for the event should bed to be known prior to.

Hmm... If one feature of the event is to introduce THP'ers to new gear, then it's certainly reasonable to ask the captains to encourage their team members to post (honest!) feedback about the gear afterwards.

One of the great things about THP (IMO) is that it provides lots of opportunities to get new and exciting gear into the hands of golfers of all skill levels. THP'ers honest feedback to manufacturers about their products - from socks to electronics -- makes it worth their while to continue to support THP by offering up their products for playtesting at events... wins all around!

Just my $.0002 of course

Last edited:

Sounds like this is a topic for #TheDeanHasSpoken

A Captain's job is to be a leader and to set an example, what example does it set for his team and the forum if they go MIA when it comes time to give a comprehensive review and engage in discussion about said product?

So yes a Captain had more stake in the review process post event.

But all selectees should take the review process similarly, thousands of people view the forum especially for product reviews and if you're lucky/privileged enough to be selected for an event the least you can do is provide accurate personal feedback on a product so John Smith who may be very similar to you and your game can use it to make an informed decision about a potential purchase.

Let me ask this question. Lets say there is equipment involved in this event and between that, the team atmosphere, and a ton of other surprises that will take place at this one it becomes a go to on your 2016 list. You decide you want to be captain and THP thinks you would be a good captain.

What happens post event to the gear? I guess the question is, do you need to know what the equipment is, before deciding on whether or not you want to be captain? Personally I think the captains do have a bit more skin in the game in terms of post event discussion. I could be off here, and its merely my opinion on the subject, but would like to hear yours.

I do think the duties of a team captain, in any sport or event, goes well beyond the event itself. He has to lead by example, before, during and after the event takes place. forum presence, general demeanor, equipment reviews, all very important.

some very interesting questions here, and I dont think there is a simple answer.

Lets take irons for example:
Is it reasonable to expect a poor ball striker like me to make a blade their gamer? I don't think so.
Is it reasonable to expect a blade player like 6435* to put the next altitudes in their bag? I dont know
In both cases, I think it could take some enjoyment out of the game.

However, it is very reasonable to expect these two players take a reasonable amount of time with it to offer constructive feedback, and take some time to . That feedback, coming from all types of players is very important, it is part of what makes THP the hacker's paradise .

*Jimmy, I hope you didn't take that personally, I just thought of you as an example because I know you like to play sexy blades, I did not want to infer that you would or would not want to test the equipment

I don't know if the role of captain carries more responsibility to equipment provided. Certainly a captain has more responsibility to set the tone, example and expectation for team members. Testing and reviewing equipment holds the same responsibility for every member regardless of equipment preference. Too many members rely on the honest and thoughtful information presented here for any tester to give less than maximum commitment. Equipment not fitting your preference doesn't lessen the importance of your evaluation of it. Play it for as long as necessary to share as much information as possible for your ability. If the equipment works for you all the better, if not, pass it on to someone else to try.

4 hours for me, which is in the cards, excited to hear more details when they come out

I do think the duties of a team captain, in any sport or event, goes well beyond the event itself. He has to lead by example, before, during and after the event takes place. forum presence, general demeanor, equipment reviews, all very important.

some very interesting questions here, and I dont think there is a simple answer.

Lets take irons for example:
Is it reasonable to expect a poor ball striker like me to make a blade their gamer? I don't think so.
Is it reasonable to expect a blade player like 6435* to put the next altitudes in their bag? I dont know
In both cases, I think it could take some enjoyment out of the game.

However, it is very reasonable to expect these two players take a reasonable amount of time with it to offer constructive feedback, and take some time to . That feedback, coming from all types of players is very important, it is part of what makes THP the hacker's paradise .

*Jimmy, I hope you didn't take that personally, I just thought of you as an example because I know you like to play sexy blades, I did not want to infer that you would or would not want to test the equipment
Nothing personal at all buddy. Completely understand what you're saying as well!!

Sounds like this is a topic for #TheDeanHasSpoken

A Captain's job is to be a leader and to set an example, what example does it set for his team and the forum if they go MIA when it comes time to give a comprehensive review and engage in discussion about said product?

So yes a Captain had more stake in the review process post event.

But all selectees should take the review process similarly, thousands of people view the forum especially for product reviews and if you're lucky/privileged enough to be selected for an event the least you can do is provide accurate personal feedback on a product so John Smith who may be very similar to you and your game can use it to make an informed decision about a potential purchase.

Well said, I agree completely.

I think the captains have a bit more at stake for an event when it comes to equipment. To me, the captains have a responsibility in making the event what it is - generating excitement, keeping their team involved. For something that has a component of review after the event, I think it extends to that as well. I know there are pieces of equipment that might not be best for a given player's game, but there's a lot that can still be done there - maybe have someone else hit the clubs and provide feedback and forward that along, or talk in context of what the equipment's doing vs. the tech story. Just because something doesn't work great for you doesn't make the feedback invalid - especially here, where people may be more familiar with each other's games.

The THP reviews are a good place to look for inspiration here. Take James's review of the F6 irons, complete with 60g graphite shafts, or ddec's comments about the JPX EZ driver and it's description of being "low spin".

Okay, change of pace.
Who is ready for some team action.
1 THPer as captain.
1 company person on each team
6 other THPers

2 days of action at Hiawatha Landing
Incredible Meet and Greet on Friday evening
Every golfer will be receiving a new putter of their choosing.
Education and testing pre-round

And a mess of fun that will make your head spin.

Okay, change of pace.
1 THPer as captain.
6 other THPers

Where do I sign up and take my money now!

Okay, change of pace.
1 THPer as captain.
6 other THPers

That sounds like an awesome time.

Okay, change of pace.
1 THPer as captain.
6 other THPers

Im in for that.

Okay, change of pace.
1 THPer as captain.
6 other THPers

Sounds like an awesome weekend that I need to be a part of!

Sounds awesome!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn that sounds great! Something I wouldn't mind be a part of.

that sounds great!

Okay, change of pace.
1 THPer as captain.
6 other THPers

Having a little idea of how events go, I don't think you'd change it unless it was for the better!

So did I read that right? This event will only be open to 7 THPers? Pretty exclusive!!

Sounds like my idea of a good time. If I'm reading this correctly, a little 4-on-4 action? I heard absolutely nothing but good things about the putter event last year, so this is absolutely on my radar.

Edit: Never mind, per team.

Back