Will Bryson DeChambeau Win This Year?

• Yes

Votes: 82 45.6%
  • No

Votes: 92 51.1%
  • What's a Bryson DeChambeau?

Votes: 6 3.3%

• Total voters
I don't think it is going to revolutionize golf. I think what people might be overlooking is that this kid is VERY talented. He has a vey high swing speed, and obviously must have some kind of short game to compete at that level.

To me he is an outlier, and sure it could work for most people, but unless there is incredible demand I don't see many if any OEMs pouring a ton of R&D into single length iron sets. If anything it is going the other way with the pushing of more hybrids and wedges to make for mixed sets.

I think that all the major manufacturer's R&D guys are certainly looking at this guy closely. It is an idea that is going to get a lot more attention and thus perhaps more money for them.

I think he does. Maybe multiple times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't he give those up when turning pro? That is why he played the Masters as an am.

Either way a little over 200k puts him well on the way to skipping q school.

Give up sponsors exemptions? It's the only way he gets to be on the PGA tour for now. The only reason he got into the Masters was because he was amateur champ - a regular exemption. If he turned pro voluntarily before the Masters, he would not have been allowed to play the Masters as there is no such thing as a sponsors exemption to the Masters ( I think)
You can't just turn pro and walk onto the PGA tour without sponsors exemptions. You kinda have to have some buzz or be "somebody" to get them.
He has 7 or so - though I just read as many as 12 - gets confusing.
If he doesn't get his points / dollar amounts - it's off to Q school like the rest of the grinders.

Give up sponsors exemptions? It's the only way he gets to be on the PGA tour for now. The only reason he got into the Masters was because he was amateur champ - a regular exemption. If he turned pro voluntarily before the Masters, he would not have been allowed to play the Masters as there is no such thing as a sponsors exemption to the Masters ( I think)
You can't just turn pro and walk onto the PGA tour without sponsors exemptions. You kinda have to have some buzz or be "somebody" to get them.
He has 7 or so - though I just read as many as 12 - gets confusing.
If he doesn't get his points / dollar amounts - it's off to Q school like the rest of the grinders.
I though you said he had an exemption for winning the us am not a regular sponsors exemption. Doesn't he loose any exemption he got from the us am by turning pro. Pretty sure he has to qualify for the us open like any other player since he gave up am status.

I though you said he had an exemption for winning the us am not a regular sponsors exemption. Doesn't he loose any exemption he got from the us am by turning pro. Pretty sure he has to qualify for the us open like any other player since he gave up am status.
My understanding it yes, by giving up his amateur status, he gave up his automatic entry to the US Open. He could get in by the means any ordinary pro could get in, but his amateur invitation has been rescinded since he's got pro.

he gave up his exemptions in the US Open and The Open from winning the US Am when he turned pro. He gets 8 sponsor exemptions (I believe those aren't guaranteed to golfers but the number they could play). He earns a spot in this weeks tourney due to his Top 10 this last week that doesn't count against his 8 exemptions. He has to make $750k+ to avoid Q school route

The kid has tons of game and makes big mistakes. Once he learns how to play on tour, he will be well on his way.

Excited to watch Phil this weekend at the Valero Texas Open. It'll be fun to see Bro-Chambeau compete as well.

Love Phil, makes it worth watching. DeChambeau is very unique, every iron he plays is the same length, 7 iron length. He tweaks the swing weight, and loft. Uses a larger grip. He could win,strong kid,solid game,same consistent swing style.

The problem Bryson will face is the lack of coaches who can really work with his style. Though there are a few, it will limit his ability to find someone he really gels with in order to get what he needs to stay at the highest level of the game.

I wish him well, and time will tell if he can figure it all out going forward.

The problem Bryson will face is the lack of coaches who can really work with his style. Though there are a few, it will limit his ability to find someone he really gels with in order to get what he needs to stay at the highest level of the game.

I wish him well, and time will tell if he can figure it all out going forward.
Don't agree with this at all. He is very upright which is different but he has a one plane swing other than that, release is fairly standard from what I can tell, haven't looked in slow mo though, but ignoring the single length his swing isn't all that weird.

Don't agree with this at all. He is very upright which is different but he has a one plane swing other than that, release is fairly standard from what I can tell, haven't looked in slow mo though, but ignoring the single length his swing isn't all that weird.

It will be interesting to see what he does.

I voted yes. It will be very tough ofcourse, but I think that he may have the game and head to pull it off

I think he has shown a lot of promise and talent but something about him doesn't make me like the guy. I'm not sure what it is though.

I'm not sure he will win an event this year, but given his composure I'm pretty confident he cán win an event. I'd say I'm 60-40 on it. He is making mistakes, and still ends up on the first page. If he can get rid of them, I think he will be in contention. A lot.

This kid better start making some cuts or else he is going to find himself slumming it in Stage 1 of Q school with no status.

I don't see a win this year

He won 150K this weekend. I think he had about 250K before. How much does he need to win to earn his card?

He won 150K this weekend. I think he had about 250K before. How much does he need to win to earn his card?

I was thinking the same thing and for some reason have $500K in my head.

Well, the 44% were correct - congratulations Bryson and welcome to the PGA tour!

So happy for him!
He certainly cut it a bit fine but glad he'll be back next year and hopefully with less pressure on his shoulders.
Glad for Cobra too! Someone other than Rickie to hold the flag, I don't even know who else is sponsored by Cobra.

4316648b173a3ae05bb10ae91bde8bb9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i said "no" because i thought the question was asking about the pga tour. if the question had asked about the web.com tour, i probably still would have said "no." i met him in passing earlier this year. he removed his driver cap, looked me square in the eye and gave a firm handshake. "i'm bryson, nice to meet you." i appreciated his manners. i wish him all the best.

Back