Peaceful vs Frustrating?

When I was younger I was often very frustrated on the course. I was playing competitive golf and I took it much too seriously. It got to the point where I would be upset about a bad round for sometimes days. Like everyone, I only play to my index about 20-25% of my rounds so 75% of the time I was angry and frustrated. Sometime in my 30's, likely about the time when I became a father, golf became much more relaxing. I now have as much fun when I shoot an 80 as I do when I break par. I think as you age and have dealt with real problems such as a parent or friend dying and children with mental, emotional, or physical problems, golf scores are really the smallest of problems.

At Peace.

I listen more now. To the wildlife, the running creeks, the wind blowing and the people I play with. I learned a long time ago that bad shots will occur in a round. So makes rounds much more enjoyable.

I agree with your friend but don't know if my frustration would cause me to take a break from the game at this point. I recently had one of my most frustrating rounds in a long time when I completely lost my swing and the more I tried to fix it the worse it got. Then I stepped up to tee box on 16 and looked out and just completely relaxed with how awesome it looked. It didn't help my swing that day but it did allow me to put it into perspective.

Peaceful. I've come to appreciate just being outside with friends and having some time to myself. Really the only thing that frustrates me is pace of play. I know bad shots will happen, more frequently these days than they used to.

Playing the game is not peaceful for me. Enjoying the company, nature, solitude, sunshine.. well that's peaceful

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I think it comes and goes. Sometimes it is just absolutely gorgeous out there, the company is great, and the golf is good.... it is hard not to be at peace. Personally though, my frustration usually comes from a combination of not living up to my own expectations, and letting the actions of others/situations around the course get in my head.

I have definitely taken time away in an attempt to try and find that peace again. It works. I appreciate the game more when I come back after a layoff regardless of the scoring.

I used to be really fired up when I started to play a round then if I played bad I would get frustrated. Maturity (and maybe a kid or two hehe) over the years has made me rethink everything and once I realized that it's just not worth my time to get upset over a bad shot or hole and remind myself that I am out here for relaxation and fun, my outlook changed drastically.

It's that ying and yang. I find it peaceful outdoors and love golf but when my game goes to crap it can add unnecessary frustration.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The frustration that occurs from not playing to my potential on a given day never overshadows the peaceful enjoyment the round brings. It's an escape from everyday life for a few hours regardless.

Peaceful. I've come to appreciate just being outside with friends and having some time to myself. Really the only thing that frustrates me is pace of play. I know bad shots will happen, more frequently these days than they used to.

Hey, I played my only good golf behind those preshot routines : )

I just now remembered
Playing quite a few rounds with another golfer in the past who always got very frustrated every round taught me what sort of golfer I didn't want to become.

Interesting question.
Ever since I was a kid starting golf one of the most appealing aspects of the game was that it was just me against the golf course. Specifically, poor play has always made me determined to take instruction and, or, practice more. So, rather than "frustrating" golf is about an opportunity to improve.

Hey, I played my only good golf behind those preshot routines : )

Haha touche. Time to sign you up for the Gilchrist academy. Unfortunately I played that back 9 how I normally do when I have to wait, although that was a bit worse than normal. I blame it being the final 9 of 36. Slow play is my absolute kryptonite on the golf course both for my game and my enjoyment.

It's a blend of both but the larger percentage is on peaceful. I'm always pushing to be better and that can lead to frustration. The only time I really have a "bad" round is when expectations get out of whack and frustration takes over. I pay to play versus get paid to play (i.e. pro). If you accept this as the starting point then it's pretty easy to prioritize peaceful over frustration.

There are moments of peace, but generally golf is anything by peaceful for most.

before my back injury, i would get frustrated if i was playing bad. Post back injury, i could care less what I shoot. just happy to be playing again.

I dug deep trying hard to remember a time I became frustrated playing golf and honestly, I got nothing. I do keep a handicap and truly savor the good shots and rounds but I've always golfed to enjoy myself. Good play or bad has never defined me or the satisfaction golf provides me. This may go a long way toward explaining WHY I've never become a truly good golfer, but the shoe fits I guess, and I'm more than OK with that.

To contrast, my little brother is the polar opposite. Regardless of how great things are going something eventually triggers him and he becomes so frustrated, angry, and sullen that it sucks the life out of a foursome. We live in different states so I see him much less than I wish I did (and we already lost our other two brothers) but I can't bring myself to even tell him about THP for fear he'll eventually suck the life out of a round with some of my new brothers (and sisters) here. Realize that I've gushed over and recommended THP to dozens upon dozen of casual strangers, yet not him because of how quickly he gets insanely frustrated. For me, the BEST THING about playing with THPers is the universally infectious fun you can bank on and I've witnessed (and played) a lot of less than awesome golf in those meetups/events.

For me, it's only started to become peaceful in the last couple of weeks.

While it may sound defeatist, I've finally come to terms with the fact that I'm just not ever going to be good at this game.

So I bought a SoundChuk mini and expect to shoot a million. I quit taking it seriously. It's strangely liberating.

I'm occasionally pleasantly surprised---but now always enjoy myslef regardless the score

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Any frustration I have is very brief. It only takes a few seconds to remind myself that I am blessed to have the opportunity to be on the course and that any faults are part of the process/journey to being better.

It is so peaceful and beautiful going out right after the mowers. The morning dew, sun coming-up, birds chirping, and of course the perfect greens.
Unfortunately the game of golf is sooo frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it depends where ne is at skill wise in rekation to how hard they try to improve. Golf imo is an addiction for many people. Its trying to reach a high that you cant reach. There is frustration in that. With all the time, money, ad efforts I have placed into the game the past several years I am becomming much too frustrated or perhaps better said ..."deflated" as I just cant seem to ever get to the next step on a consistant basis. That step isnt even a big one but just one in which can show me at least a little something that all my spent resources have pad back to me. It just doesnt happen and so it can be disheartening.

I want to and do enjoy most my time on the course. I like when the company is of good charactor, friendly and I like to laugh some. Free and easy is the goal. But I also want to see the fruits of my work and want to play well. And it does get unpleasant when its doesnt. At one time I had mny of the excuses... 'i dont play enough"..."i dont practice enough"..."dont practice with a purpose"...."not enough lessons"...."dont let the last shots get to you"....."make smart choices"....."one shot at a time"....and just about all and any of the advice, excuses , and reasons out there and then some. I have exhausted them all and having done that and still not able to achieve just some more consistency after a while becomes very deflating especially when you see other along side you who dont put inn half what you do and those who do have excuses left over yet play more consistantly. I have to resign to it in order to have a better time and sometimes I purposely laugh at myself after a chunk or screw up just make light the situation.

So yea ...for me its frustrating. There is a level of pleasantry being out there , there is a good happy feeling, but mixed with a level of frustrations. Contradictory? yea I guess it kind of is. But so is the word "Bittersweat" .

It use to be frustrating when I was younger and could golf pretty much anytime I wanted. Now I'm only frustrated when I don't get to play. Kids have severely cut into the number of rounds I play, but I do find that I'm enjoying it more and actually shooting lower scores now too.

I took a bit of a break from golf for a while because it was starting to feel more like work than fun. During that time I had a couple kids and got my career off the ground. When I picked it back up about a year ago, I decided that I was going to have fun and not worry about what I score. For the most part, this has remained true. I usually get a bit anxious when we are right on top of a group in front of me, or if there is a group behind pushing me, regardless if there is a backup. Other than that, I usually try to have a good time.

As you grow older, you realize you have only so many rounds of golf left in your life, whether that be 10,000, 1,000, 500 or some other number. I try to enjoy every round of golf to its fullest. Sure, the bad shots still happen and I may temporarily express frustration, but it's very fleeting. I really enjoy any opportunity to play golf.

Not much I look forward to more than a round of golf. I suppose it can be peaceful in a sense, but internal competition always leads to either a sense of accomplishment or frustration, but neither outcome effects my interest in playing again.

Back