Peaceful vs Frustrating?

I’m on the peaceful side of the spectrum. Between work, kids and life in general, my time is a premium. I enjoy every second on the golf course, if I didn’t I’d probably look for another hobby. Maybe if I put in tons of time practicing and really took it super serious I might feel different, but right now it’s pure enjoyment for me.

Playing golf, to me, is sorta like hunting. Even though I don't get to kill stuff, I still get to spend time in nature and enjoy all that God has created. There's nothing like sitting under a tree with a gun in hand waiting to see a squirrel or deer or walking down an empty fairway early in the morning with the fog lifting and dew still on the ground. I guess I'm in the peaceful camp until my first swing, then frustration sets in.

Playing golf, to me, is sorta like hunting. Even though I don't get to kill stuff, I still get to spend time in nature and enjoy all that God has created. There's nothing like sitting under a tree with a gun in hand waiting to see a squirrel or deer or walking down an empty fairway early in the morning with the fog lifting and dew still on the ground. I guess I'm in the peaceful camp until my first swing, then frustration sets in.

cerainly being up and out early in the morning has its fresh natural peaceful happy feel to it. But that is not just a gof thing and is true for me most anywhere. Except when Im sitting in my morning traffic and polution comute. Or as you said...until I hit my first ball oob or chunk my first approach iron 5 yrds and then do it again and or for whatever reasons Im sitting 7 and only played 3 freaking holes, this game sucks, I want to smash all my clubs over a tree trunk, throw them in the lake, punch something, run my golf cart over on the way out, throw my cleats at the club house and never play again..................other than that Im at perfect peace with enjoying the nature:D

cerainly being up and out early in the morning has its fresh natural peaceful happy feel to it. But that is not just a gof thing and is true for me most anywhere. Except when Im sitting in my morning traffic and polution comute. Or as you said...until I hit my first ball oob or chunk my first approach iron 5 yrds and then do it again and or for whatever reasons Im sitting 7 and only played 3 freaking holes, this game sucks, I want to smash all my clubs over a tree trunk, throw them in the lake, punch something, run my golf cart over on the way out, throw my cleats at the club house and never play again..................other than that Im at perfect peace with enjoying the nature:D

The only thing that really, really irks me so much as to entice me to quit is when I hit a shot that should be easily findable and I can't find it. I know that's a vision issue, though, that I could probably have corrected if I could stand the thought of someone pulling scar tissue off my retina.

... I went to Phoenix last spring for 6 weeks and played every day but 2. I would never play every day if I found it frustrating. I am deadly serious about my golf for the 30 seconds or less it takes to line up my shot and execute it. That means I have about 3 hours and 45 minutes to enjoy my pards and my surroundings, being fortunate enough to be able to play this much both physically and economically. Having played QB thru college I find golf very peaceful. Yes, there can be frustrating moments when my swing seems to slip thru my fingers like a new bar of wet soap in the shower, but they are short lived. Golf is so mental and if you are not putting yourself in a positive frame of mind you are usually not going to play well. The amount of times I have heard someone I am paired up with say something like "Probably looking at a 3 putt" and "I always play this hole poorly" is just mind boggling.

... My favorite course in the Chicago suburbs is near Joliet Prison and it is easily viewable from a lot of the course. No matter how bad a shot I hit, it is a good reminder that things could be worse. Much worse.

I think it comes in waves and that’s why breaks seem to be important. When you really are trying hard but not seeing the results it can be so frustrating. After a break and coming back with no expectations it can be so peaceful and fun because the expectations are not there. Makes for some great rounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

... I went to Phoenix last spring for 6 weeks and played every day but 2. I would never play every day if I found it frustrating. I am deadly serious about my golf for the 30 seconds or less it takes to line up my shot and execute it. That means I have about 3 hours and 45 minutes to enjoy my pards and my surroundings, being fortunate enough to be able to play this much both physically and economically. Having played QB thru college I find golf very peaceful. Yes, there can be frustrating moments when my swing seems to slip thru my fingers like a new bar of wet soap in the shower, but they are short lived. Golf is so mental and if you are not putting yourself in a positive frame of mind you are usually not going to play well. The amount of times I have heard someone I am paired up with say something like "Probably looking at a 3 putt" and "I always play this hole poorly" is just mind boggling.

... My favorite course in the Chicago suburbs is near Joliet Prison and it is easily viewable from a lot of the course. No matter how bad a shot I hit, it is a good reminder that things could be worse. Much worse.

with due respect......(for me) yet another piece of advice (along with the hundred others) that Ive exhausted a long time ago and still doesnt make a better player.

dont recall this season early or late last season. But at that time I had come to a par 3 on one of my county courses that I never pared. I get on the tee and i state the fact something to the affect .."I never par this hole"...with that one of the guys says .."well thats not how your going to par it" ...I said (and to me is this is true as for how i view it) i said.."oh that doesnt matter just because i said that, Im just stating a fact, it doesnt bother me one bit". And honestly it doesnt. As upset as i can be or as negative a statement I may make, none of it bothers me or gets in my head when i take my next shot. It just doesnt matter cause when i actually go and take the next shot whatever i did just prior or in the past has no relation. So i can state any fact i want to and it honestly has zero affect as i take my swing. And so...after that little small talk I went and actually pared the hole for the first time.

I feel i can make every shot when i play. It dont matter if i say something like "i never do well on this hole" or of i say "i often do well on this hole" . neither one has affect on me. Too many (far too many) years playing trying that philosophy and honestly it comes down to whether or not I execute the shot regardless. I mean i do understand the importance of not letting the last shot/s get to you. But im numb to it all. I play one shot at a time. What i might say negatively or positively or jokingly, or seriously, Ive learned through too many years none of it makes no difference at all to me. Ive made negative remarks and had the best shots and holes directly after and ive made positive remarks and had the worst happen. I know all too well that good feelings dont mean i will be playing good and poor feelings dont mean ill be playing bad. I am numb to it all as i take my next shot.

I beleive i began 3 of my 4 last rounds with outruight horrible hole like triple and even quad. I get to the course feeling all positive and happy and just plain good and bam....plus 7 or 8 after 3 holes, whatever.
One round began great , feling great then bam end up was +13 on the front and now feeling crappy as heck about it and yet had a great back9 with a plus3. makes no difference to me. Im numb to it all, i just play one shaot at a time. It comes down to whether or not i execute and whether or not my last play or feelings or comments i make are positive or negative has no affect. Get a quad or even a 5bogey, feel like crap about it and yet can bird the next hole (ve done it). get 2 pars and a bird, feel great and yet can quad and triple the next two (ive done it as well). Makes no difference...you got the consistent talent or you dont. i eagled early this season (holed out a par4 from 105 approach). I moved on to the net hole like nothing happened. Felt good but has no affect on next shots. How about 6 pars and 2 birds in same round where I shot a 103 (true round). Great hole/s and feelings and positive thinking and followed with a distaster. terrible hole/s and feelings and yet follow with great next one. No rhyme or reason, unrelated to feelings or negative/positive remarks. Doesnt matter. For me anyway :)

Last edited:
It is both. I just have to remind myself to let it be peaceful.

When I am playing, I am 100% into my next shot. I am head down, make my game better.

But then I take a few moments to look around at the beautiful scenery, be thankful that I can afford to play, and reflecting on the good company I am normally in.

Then I hit a MF&*^*&%*&% shank into the woods and GD*(&%$ this F*(&$% game and I am selling my clubs.

Back