Gary Woodland to Taylormade

Based on the photo they posted on instagram, be will still be wearing UA.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

wonder for how long. I'm guessing it will depend on what his deal with TM is for. most full staffers are in Adidas or Ashworth.

Surprised here as well as he seemed to fit into Callaway marketing extremely well. Solid pickup for TM putting him aside DJ as a few of the longest guys on tour.

I find this stuff fascinating. We never hear the why and who on these decisions. Is it the player, is it the company, is it mutual, is it a more aggressive offer from the competitor.

I did think Callaway was a good fit for Woodland.

I look at Woodland a lot like I look at Spieth. Hard for a company to market when all the average viewer sees is another brand (UA).
Personal opinion of course, but my gut tells me that that is a decision that is easier to make for most companies when looking at high prices.

What interests me more is that this is what, the 3rd guy to leave Callaway so far in 2016? I think Finau and Kirk are bigger losses, but as blugold said, Woodland always did well in their commercials.

I am guessing Finau and Kirk got bigger deals to go to Nike/PXG respectively, but not sure on this one. Callaway had a big staff last year and added some college guys the end of last year so maybe this was thinning the herd for them.

Either way, he is going to bomb the hell out of the driver, if he ever improves in the short game/putting he might even win something.
But how many have they recently signed? Have to make room somehow, ya know?

But how many have they recently signed? Have to make room somehow, ya know?

I totally agree, my guess is they are signing young talent for smaller deals, and if they pop they are there to resign them. If they don't, then they let them move on. Good strategy in my opinion, especially when you have some icons already on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally agree, my guess is they are signing young talent for smaller deals, and if they pop they are there to resign them. If they don't, then they let them move on. Good strategy in my opinion, especially when you have some icons already on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makes sense, sort of that "buy low, sell high" mentality of sorts. Market the young guns, profit margins are stronger, then when they sky rocket you let them go if they won't take a "home town" discount you offer them.

Woodland will still be wearing UA gear. Last I heard, TM wasn't able to reach an agreement with UA to buy out Woodland's UA contract.

For the mention of DJ in this thread....yes, he did resign "well beyond 2018" is what I read & heard.

I look at Woodland a lot like I look at Spieth. Hard for a company to market when all the average viewer sees is another brand (UA).
Personal opinion of course, but my gut tells me that that is a decision that is easier to make for most companies when looking at high prices.

UA Certainly corners the market on these guys. You don't see Titleist anywhere on Spieth. No FJ shoes, no Titleist glove. Not something I really thought about until you said something.

UA Certainly corners the market on these guys. You don't see Titleist anywhere on Spieth. No FJ shoes, no Titleist glove. Not something I really thought about until you said something.

i believe until last year maybe late the year before is when he wore UA shoes and it was mid-laste last year when he started with the UA glove. Before that he was wearing footjoy shoes and Titleist gloves, but yeah now it's all UA

i believe until last year maybe late the year before is when he wore UA shoes and it was mid-laste last year when he started with the UA glove. Before that he was wearing footjoy shoes and Titleist gloves, but yeah now it's all UA

Yep, that was my point. His dominant stretch has been all UA

Looks like the whole bag isn't TM

Interesting. I really enjoy the WITBs of the pros who don't use all clubs from one brand, for whatever reason.

Gonna laugh if it's driver only.

the pictures i saw of the practice round he had the M1 in play. not sure what the rest of the woods looks like, but that is in the bag. i can't remember what his putter was last yer (seem to think 1W), but also curious what he rolls with where his putter is concerned.

716's?! Man, Jordan can't even hit those irons.

Eh, I don't think he moves the needle much. Not a big win for TM or a big loss for Callaway IMO.

I wish the guy luck. Super personable, and a very nice guy at the events where I got to meet him. Cant wait to see him absolutely murder the M1.

I wish the guy luck. Super personable, and a very nice guy at the events where I got to meet him. Cant wait to see him absolutely murder the M1.

It will be fun to watch him hit the driver. I saw him a couple years ago on the range at congressional before tigers event and he was crushing drivers way up the range.

Him and DJ in the same group will be bomb city

Like many others on the PGA tour Woodland is an incredible athlete in sports other than golf and was quite a basketball player. Had a scholarship to Washburn before concentrating on golf. The athletic back story for some of these guys is quite interesting. He is fun to watch hit a golf ball. Good signing for TM IMO.

Close!

Close!

Wonder what the rest of the bag will be. I assume he's still Under Armour apparel?

Woodland's new bag must be suiting him well. He's -10 & four back of the leader after 13 holes on day 3.

Back