THP Lesson Thread

My pro told me that my problem is my feet. He said "they don't belong on the golf course ".

Not sure this is the correct spot,but here is my new grip after lessons.Sorry I don't have an older one.We worked 3 lessons alone on just the correct grip for me.He told me to always check in the mirror and make sure the hands v point left of my sternum mid.
7bf5b562f35687f9a8cd9d62c3147de1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you been able to hit balls. With the new grip. If it works I say stay with it, if not then maybe try at least going to netural with the grip. Hopefully things are going better with the golf game. You were pretty frustrated in one of the other threads

Have you been able to hit balls. With the new grip. If it works I say stay with it, if not then maybe try at least going to netural with the grip. Hopefully things are going better with the golf game. You were pretty frustrated in one of the other threads
I went into the lessons as a bad golfer,so expectations of good shots have never been there.I was hitting my 7 irons a nice 100 to 110 yards for a few outings dead straight.Which I was super happy with,than it went all bad.From how bad I was before it is hard to really judge if I'm worse than bad now.The pro told me it is just growing pains and takes time.The true assesment will be on the course,and I can't wait to see how I do.Been working on this in a mirror nightly,but last few range outings have been pretty bad

My lesson update isn't too much different. I'm still mainly working on inside swing path down. I know what I need to do but it's hard for me to execute consistently so far even with multiple practice sessions last 2 weeks. I do like the advice to actually hit LESS balls, do more slow motion swings, mirror work, etc. to let the new feel sink in. My practice swings are good, but adding the little white ball changes everything. I tend to think about hitting it and my old swing habits creep back in.

I will say, even when I don't get the swing exactly where I want, I still have good contact and consistent flight (slight push). Before, I was so inconsistent I had no idea where it would go. Even if I could count on a consistent miss that would be big for me until I (hopefully) dial things in.

I've been away from the game for a couple months due to the cold and rain. A week ago it finally warmed up a bit to my driving range weather. Things weren't quite right so I went to take a lesson yesterday.

I'd been hitting the ball fairly well at the range and just thought it would be a couple of minor tweaks. But after doing two loads of wash, scrambling to fix lunch and taking a shower, driving in traffic, by the time I got to the lesson I was basically in knots. I couldn't hit a ball to save my life. Through the entire lesson. It was like teaching a rank beginner. It was so bad and so frustrating I threw my club after I shanked the 10th shot. I think I hit maybe one decent shot in the entire lesson.

What did I learn? I wasn't getting my weight shifting properly during the lesson.

My lesson update isn't too much different. I'm still mainly working on inside swing path down. I know what I need to do but it's hard for me to execute consistently so far even with multiple practice sessions last 2 weeks. I do like the advice to actually hit LESS balls, do more slow motion swings, mirror work, etc. to let the new feel sink in. My practice swings are good, but adding the little white ball changes everything. I tend to think about hitting it and my old swing habits creep back in.

I will say, even when I don't get the swing exactly where I want, I still have good contact and consistent flight (slight push). Before, I was so inconsistent I had no idea where it would go. Even if I could count on a consistent miss that would be big for me until I (hopefully) dial things in.

That's great dude, slight push usually means your path Is ISO, just have to square that face up a bit and you will be hitting nice draws.

I had my second lesson today, and am really happy with how it has gone so far. It was plain to see how much progress I had made in just a week. ISO club path has already been reestablished. Lots of work ahead but I see section great gold coming later in the year.

I just got home from my lesson tonight. We worked on coming from the inside, not over swinging and making sure I finish my swing and follow through correctly. I've been getting better and better with the swing flaws listed above. We have also working on making sure my hands are in front of the club head which has led to more distance.

I really feel like I'm starting to get it and my swing has been improving. I'm going to keep going weekly until we move at the end of April.

I've got a lesson coming up next weekend. Not sure when it'll end up on YouTube, though. I will have my thoughts on here soon afterwards, though.

I had a lesson with my pro today. We finally got around to working my head dipping move from the top of the back swing which results in alligator arms at impact. He did the drill where he put the butt end a club against my head at address so I had a reference point to feel how and when my head was moving. I took a few swings like that while trying to stay tall throughout the swing. It really let me get the feeling of my arms being able to stay extended throughout the downswing.

Additionally, he had my strengthen my grip, which is an ongoing battle for me. Today, he had me move my hands forward, which allowed the stronger grip to feel more comfortable while helping to keep the club square at address.

Some other things I have to work on besides staying taller through the swing and the grip change is proper sequencing. I need to work on getting my hips turned sooner. He had me do a drill where I start in a good position at impact with hips facing the target and then take a short (1/4 - 1/2) backswing and hit the ball.

It was a great lesson with lots of good takeaways that I think I can incorporate pretty quickly.

Waiting for the weather to break so I can schedule a lesson with my instructor. My focus is going to be on weight shift, getting a good coil and working on the lower body starting the swing and avoid my normal issue of starting with upper body.

Whatever I've been doing since my latest lesson changes is leading to a few interesting results.
I've moved to a weaker grip of late and I'm really taking to it. I also am keeping my hands extremely tight together on the grip. I'm not delofting as much at impact and I'm getting much higher flights, much higher spin and more control. The downside of this change is that I've lost a full club of distance through the bag, but seeing as how I was hitting 145 yard PWs it's not a huge deal.

As an aside, my driver is now launching at 16* and ballooning. Time for a new one.

I've had 2 lessons in the last 6 months. They were each with different people, and both were beneficial. Here is the gist of what was established:

I need to shorten my backswing. I need to keep my feet closer together with all clubs. I'm too wide with all of them, ESPECIALLY Wedges and Driver. I need to come to a good finish. I seem to just quit on the swing after contact. I need to work on a consistent pre-shot routine. I MUST practice the 3 o'clock - 9 o'clock drill to get the feel of weight shift. (getting the belt buckle to the target fast)

When I've got all that going for me, my hitting is pretty good.

I have a lesson coming up, and a couple SIM rounds coming up. I'll update on how my next lesson goes.

In the meanwhile, I'm practicing my take away to the desired (shortened) position. I'm doing the 3 to 9 drill all the time. I'm also setting up with my feet at proper positions, and holding the stance, to get a more balanced feel when addressing the ball.

I've also come up with a pre-shot routine that helps keep all these things in mind as I approach my shot.

Need to schedule my first lesson of the season. Going to work on weight transfer in the first lesson

Signed up for lessons first one is Tuesday. Hope the pro has plenty of patience. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just working on two things lately. Left foot action on the downswing, and spine position at impact.

I'm halfway thru my 10 part lesson series. It has been hard work trying to build a better swing but I'm happy I've tried vs relying on my old faulty OTT move.

Hope to be close to a breakthrough as I'm starting to build some better muscle memory now.

So how are the lessons coming along everyone?

Slight delay with starting mine but hoping to schedule my 1st tomorrow for this Saturday.

Due to cost ill have to spread them out a little more thwn anticipated but hopefully can off set that with extra range time

I had a putting lesson last week that really opened my eyes on a number of fronts, but mostly that I was bringing the putter back too far. I shortened the stroke, got it tighter and today made a number of 5-6 footers that I have missed previously. And a couple I lipped out, were still rolled well.

I like where this might take me.

I need to get with my instructor to tighten up my iron play and full swing wedges. consistency just isn't there.

I need to get with my instructor to tighten up my iron play and full swing wedges. consistency just isn't there.

This is me on the consistency, except it's mainly the tee game killing me right now. Had a lesson a month or so ago and my issues were mainly extension and setup. Looking to work that stuff in my practice this week and see where it takes me, and possibly set up a lesson later this month.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

This is me on the consistency, except it's mainly the tee game killing me right now. Had a lesson a month or so ago and my issues were mainly extension and setup. Looking to work that stuff in my practice this week and see where it takes me, and possibly set up a lesson later this month.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

for me I just don't have a predictable trajectory or shape. I just want a small tweak here or there to get on track.

I had a putting lesson last week that really opened my eyes on a number of fronts, but mostly that I was bringing the putter back too far. I shortened the stroke, got it tighter and today made a number of 5-6 footers that I have missed previously. And a couple I lipped out, were still rolled well.

I like where this might take me.
That's solid right there. Im hoping this year to get as comfortable and confident with my other 13 clubs as i am with the flatstick.

They turned the heaters off at the driving range. I can't stand the cold (anything under 60). It messes with my swing tempo. I get too quick. Practice is done for a while. So I'm at the gym working fitness stuff for the next month. Golf specific core work like medicine ball wall slams; swiss ball oblique twists. Treadmill pushes (no motor - sprint 10 secs; walk 20 4 sets); Endurance work. Orange whip work. Shoulder work. Legs and glutes. I have one lesson left in my pack. We'll see if I need it when the weather gets nice again. I'm going for distance this year.

I took 3 swing lessons and had many informal followup discussions last year from a local PGA instructor. We developed a good relationship. He completely changed my swing over the season. Unfortunately I recently learned he took a new position in another state. I am not sure what I will do this year, other than continuing lessons is the right idea. I have come to terms with being a 1 year beginner with childhood golf experience. I can't teach myself, no matter how many gazillion youtube videos I watch ...

Back