Graphite Iron Shafts - The New Norm?

haha I read bitter, not sarcastic. Too funny!

Don't feel bad because I also read it to be bitter. Had to go back and reread it to see the sarcasm - my bad.

Don't feel bad because I also read it to be bitter. Had to go back and reread it to see the sarcasm - my bad.

The internets are a dangerous place. Almost as dangerous as pondering graphite iron shafts.

What I find interesting is that people like a set of clubs and try several different steel shafts to see what works best for them, and not hit one graphite shaft to compare with the others.

What I find interesting is that people like a set of clubs and try several different steel shafts to see what works best for them, and not hit one graphite shaft to compare with the others.

that's on the fitter/retailer and the lack of options to swap out when testing. I'm not saying everyone asks "where's the graphite?" but I don't think it's pushed very often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that's on the fitter/retailer and the lack of options to swap out when testing. I'm not saying everyone asks "where's the graphite?" but I don't think it's pushed very often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My fitter didn't bring graphite up, but I did. Still, he didn't talk about it much after that.

I absolutely agree with what you said. However, there are many on this site, and on others, who are very knowledgeable, and never even consider going a comparison.

I hit Recoil 125 F4 and F5 shafts at the UST Event and saw little difference between the two so ended up going with the F4's. Maybe I should have tried X-flex, but the 125 F4 (stiff) are NO where near as stiff as X100 shafts. My peak height on FlightScope with the Recoils averaged 145 feet with my 7 iron. I really struggled with control with them and they were flat out awful when I hit them into wind. I was previously fit for KBS Tour X (130 gram) shafts prior to switching to the Recoils. So after some testing with my coach I ended up going back to a 130 gram X flex shaft in the X100. Peak height is now averaging 95 feet with my 7 iron.

The Recoils felt good and did a good job of absorbing any shock, but I think it's a big stretch to try and compare them to X100 shafts.
Wouldn't the 125 f4 be more comparable to s300 though? With recoils I'd say prototype f4 or f5 in the 125 range would be more comparable to x100

Just to clear things up, I'm 66 and hadn't played in 20 years. Back then, because of a back injury, I went from a 5 handicap to not being able to break 100. I took lessons, practiced daily, but to no avail for 3 years. Never one time broke 100 after the back operation. The problem was not lack of flexibility or strength, it was losing feeling in my back and feet. Balance and knowing where my position is on the backswing is very difficult and has lead to very inconsistent results.

This summer, now fully retired, I decided to play golf again, no matter what, and played with some old high school buddies. To my dismay, I still couldn't break 100. I went home and told my wife I was going to buy some "old man's" clubs. I did -- everything graphite. It made a world of difference and I've not had a score in the 100's since.

From mid summer on I've been averaging in the 80's with a couple of rounds in the high 70's. Being a former golf coach, I know a bit about the golf swing and I'm building a swing built on accuracy. 20 years ago all I cared about was hitting long drives. I'm still not consistent, but forgetting about length and concentrating on accuracy has produced some very good results.

So, to sum up, I am thrilled with my graphite shafts. They have been a life saver for my golfing. I also dabbled in golf club building and will be experimenting with different shafts this coming summer.

Still not sure about you folks in that southern state though. However, early this March you may see an old "bitter" guy escaping the rugged Northern Michigan winter playing golf in Ohio. Maybe I'll put together a driver with a pink shaft and purple ferrule for the occasion.

Later,

John

Wouldn't the 125 f4 be more comparable to s300 though? With recoils I'd say prototype f4 or f5 in the 125 range would be more comparable to x100

I played S300's for a year or so and recently tried them again before making my most recent shaft change, and I still don't think they are close. The Recoil 125 F4's are closer in feeling and performance to DG Pro S300's.

Understandable. Another thing of note is that I seem to be able to play stiffer in graphite due to the nature of shock absorption

I could see that for sure. The Recoils felt really smooth to me. The biggest problem between the comparisons is the profile and/or kick point. The Recoils are designed to be a mid-launch shaft will the original Dynamic Gold line is designed to be a low-launching shaft. And it made a big difference for me. I actually hit the Recoil/J15CB combo extremely long, but with zero control.

Back