The 2015 Grandaddy Recap Thread - Thanks For The Memories

One of my fondest memories is Phil and I sneaking out to the patio in Palm Springs the first night. We both just sat there and almost at the same time said "I still can't believe we are here" we both were in awe at what we experienced up to that point and knew the best was yet to come.

Two things I'll remember.

On #6 on the Clive course I ended up in the greenside bunker and using everything RFC taught me, I got out pretty well and actually made the putt. Don't get many sandies so that sticks out.

Second was finally pulling driver after we were closed out and just smoking one and AJ asking why the hell I had been hitting 3W all day. I then proceeded to crush my driver the rest of the round.

Should've been hitting that Driver the whole round!

The 2015 Grandaddy Recap Thread - Thanks For The Memories

Hello Fellow THP’ers!

First off I apologize for being a little bit absent since the Granddaddy, I came back from the event and had catching up to do at work and preparing for the holidays. I have followed along on the recaps and loved them all! I really hope my recap can revive the thread a little so we can all relive it again. I am going to break this down day by day over the next week!
My wife came out for Christmas and New Years and we had a wonderful time together. Thank you my fellow Granddaddians that I received Christmas Cards from, you look like you have wonderful families!
Here is our current family! My wife had a wonderful visit and we are excited for here to move out here in May with me and purchase out first house

0f1f611faf7f20cae2f0c9e17e56878e.jpg

Pre-Granddaddy:
I have been a participant of THP on and off for about 2 years now. This year since I have so much time on my hand being alone I really got back into the game of golf and have been playing at least on a weekly basis both with co-workers and a lot alone. With the regained motivation to play I started hanging around THP more and more in the evenings, even though it seems to be dead in the evenings lol! I joined the Albatross club because Folds of Honor is a great charity and I wanted to support THP as well, also open up the opportunities for events! Best $35 ever spent….
I was the first contest winner so beside James (what a long wait!) and Ryan I had the most prep time and longest wait for the Granddaddy. I am a first time THP even attendee so I really didn’t know what was in store, but I could imagine it was going to be epic. My co-workers didn’t really believe me how epic it was going to be, but my wife was super happy for me! Even though it took the rest of my vacation time at work and it would make for a longer year apart.
I started really kicking in the granddaddy prep and practicing more and more to get ready. The Kansas City weekend prep was an awesome introduction to THP members. Picking up Ryan at the hotel was the first time I had met a THPer and then Taylor was the second. We had an awesome time golfing in Kansas City and I had a great weekend with my wife after the round was over as well, that cost me a bit of money at the spa to make up for time lost on the links. I think Ryan and Taylor would agree it was a memorable round even if it just for our 4[SUP]th[/SUP] who was a crazy Britt

46d47f2557b001410acaaee1ab9b6111.jpg

34b9e761ce22595f84d47310deadc1c0.jpg

James was the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] THPer I met when we met up for a miserably fun 16 holes I believe we finished. We both golfed terribly in 40 degree weather and 30 MPH wind. We had a blast though and got to know each other. I expressed my fear that I wasn’t as into golf as many others on THP because I don’t watch golf and he explained that’s why THP is so great. It caters to all types of golfers. I love playing golf, but am not familiar with many tour players, many new clubs, etc. I just love playing golf. Heck he had to explain shambles and Pinehurst formats to me on the course. This round was awesome because it took a lot of pressure off me especially knowing the granddaddy was going to truly be about the experience and having fun. It was at this point I realized winning was about 1% of what the Granddaddy is about and the even confirmed this as well.

Day 1, Travelling:
I had my first company Christmas party the day before departing for the Granddaddy so my week of AWESOMENESS began a little bit early. After waking up a little bit hungover I strolled to the Tulsa airport and met up with James as we waited for the airplane to arrive. Lesson to future Granddaddians, upgrade your seats. I was in the back back of the plane and when the tickets free, it’s definitely worth the upgrade to get off that plane sooner and have more leg room.

2f75889e2d0b75e23a49e8a237c010a5.jpg

The bose QC25’s were a nice Addition to the travels though, highly recommend them. It’s like turning the outside world off.

07dfdd5f026b7a57d13655c9b770b29c.jpg

When we arrived in DFW I got to meet the two the only two Josh and Morgan! The people that make this all possible and Phil. My 4[SUP]th[/SUP], 5[SUP]th[/SUP], and 6[SUP]th[/SUP] THPers I met. After chatting and waiting for the next flight we boarded and were off to San Diego! After being yet again in the back of the airplane I got burned out of the gate and headed to baggage claim. I did get this sweet aerial view of the group though!

53eb53465b4117c4c125797afe523b46.jpg

After a van, not as cool as the THP touring van, picked us up we headed to the first (and final) hotel which was very nice. I grabbed a quick 45 minutes of sleep along the way and we checked in and cleaned up before heading to the bar to meet the rest of the team! We all pretty much hit it off right away and started chatting about various subjects throughout the rest of the afternoon. A great time had by all. I believe everyone has arrived at this except the one the only Rallo. Major flight issues with Rallo, but we knew he would make it. Little did we know that this would become a theme for this trip. Where’s Rallo?

78c057647cbc9f142bf8edc914c7de2b.jpg

The first evening dinner was just the beginning. An amazing array of food and drinks, no one went hungry and we had a great dinner building team spirit. Then Finley rolls in! What an awesome person this guy is. He’s like Santa combined with your favorite uncle! He will smack talk and have your back all in one sentence. He came rolling in with a cart full of swag, you know your ballin when you need a cart for your swag! Jason is the man that makes this all possible. When he speaks you know how much he also loves this event.

467083ccebe968f7dc50fc3ab2535909.jpg

Mike G gave a great speech on behalf of all of us and presented James his flag we all signed. This Photo pretty much sums up how happy James was. I am pretty sure that will be treasured forever. I am glad we put this together for James and many many thanks to Mike for coordinating and pulling it off in time!

f3f71ec7a7a921f7aff71c84acb6038e.jpg

25a0e089d4b7ec1ecbb9692712520e2d.jpg

After the parents (JB and GG) went to bed us kiddos kicked it up a notch and broke out the patron. Obviously we cheered to the Granddaddy, the next 3 days to come and the amazing teammates we got to share this experience with. Without a doubt the best 3 golfing days of our life were about to come!

e93381ada1ba2c411eb608e7a322c79b.jpg

Heads up to Grandaddians.
Next week the golf balls you all played will be released and THP will have new threads on them.
We hope you take a second to drop a review or two in there.

Next week the golf balls you all played will be released and THP will have new threads on them.

I can't wait to share my thoughts on it

Neb was kind enough to share a sleeve with me, can't wait to add my thoughts, great stuff so far!

I seriously love reading this thread. So much greatness in here!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I've been waiting for this one. I still have a dozen left!

I've been waiting for this one. I still have a dozen left!

Lol how did I lose so many balls? Good lord. I have 4 left lol

I have a lot of thoughts on it, pretty freaking excited to get to talk about them.

Talk in another thread got me thinking.....How freaking fast were those greens? I loved how true they rolled but man Ive never rolled a ball on anything that fast. Dubsdread was close

those greens and I got along really well.

Talk in another thread got me thinking.....How freaking fast were those greens? I loved how true they rolled but man Ive never rolled a ball on anything that fast. Dubsdread was close

Purest roll I have EVER experienced on a course. Ever ever ever. Tap it and watch.

Hands down the best I've ever putted on. So much that I consistently left long putts short, but I drained everything 6-8 feet and in.

Way more grain than I'm used to, but loved the speed regardless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those greens were amazing. The ball did exactly what the caddie said, just had to focus on speed. I really enjoyed putting on them.

Purest roll I have EVER experienced on a course. Ever ever ever. Tap it and watch.
I played golf that saturday at a local course and it was a little damp and chilly. First putt on the practice green was from about 8 feet. I literally rolled it 4 feet haha

I played golf that saturday at a local course and it was a little damp and chilly. First putt on the practice green was from about 8 feet. I literally rolled it 4 feet haha
It was totally that super uphill putting green though!

Morning bump because I can. Going to knock out more of my recap today and send out some PM's to hopefully get a few of the other guys to do the same. We owe it to the event and the community imo.

I just put my bag away since I wont be playing for a couple of weeks with PGA Show coming fast. It brought back a few of moments rushing into my head. First being sitting in Jason Finley's office and him telling me they wanted me in it. My saying no thank you (like a dummy) and then agreeing (because clearly I am brilliant). Not sure why that memory popped into my head, but I remember it like it was yesterday.

The second was the day I announced TexasHacker and ddec got in through contests. It shattered me, which is a shame because i love those guys and knew they would be great ambassadors to everything this stands for. Despite having all new people already in from the previous contests, the perception literally killed me. But that quickly went away when I saw the rest of day play out.

The third was walking down from breakfast (in a different spot at the Hideaway this year) and seeing the bags setup on the carts. I remember thinking to myself, two distinct things.
1. Good grief you dont belong here.
2. Gawd Damn this is ****ing amazing.

Its conflicting I know, but this is all stuff for you people here, not for me. But I had a captain that I love like a brother. And teammates that just knew that I was not the guy that hosts these, but part of the team. You guys made the difference and it will never be forgotten.

We call it The Grandaddy because of what it is. Its impossible to explain until you get there, but it will never stop me from trying to. I talk about it daily on THP. I have the memories daily as I get ready to see my friends from the Zoo Crew next week. You know what will be the first topic? The ****ing Grandaddy. Not the new clubs, new balls or PGA Show. It will be the damn Grandaddy of em all...And how it changes ****ing lives. In a world that has so many issues right now, the game of golf is my savior, but Grandaddy Golf is something different and I hope that never changes.

I for one love the recaps, its such a great way to go back and relive the event!! It really is the next best thing other than actuallyl being there or following the live thread. I understand your feelings about your second point, but from a different point of view it gave some a slight glimmer of hope that there is a chance that one could possibly go back.

Truly a powerful event, I think maybe the people who hear the stories think this is some sort of fairytale... It's not!

It's truly the most incredible golf experience that I can imagine!

Back