2016 Grandaddy Of Em All - We Want You

As a 2016 hopeful, I'm more about having the golf experience of a life time and playing to my cap or better. Winning the belt would be just some icing on the cake.

Honest question for 2016 hopefuls.

What means more to you? Winning the belt or having the time of your life? And i know you can do both and i know most of you are probably going to answer both, but theres a reason i ask this.

Hands down, just the trip to Cali to play a few rounds at a couple of the nicest courses in the country. Added bonus, you get to meet and hang out with some of the incredible people from THP and Callaway.

My golf goals are to just level out some of the peaks and valleys in my game, it's no fun shooting an 80 and a 103 in the same month. Establish a cap and if it drop a little great! Have fun, the Grandaddy would be huge in that aspect. Winning the belt with other THP'ers would just be gravy..,

What means more to you? Winning the belt or having the time of your life? And i know you can do both and i know most of you are probably going to answer both, but theres a reason i ask this.

Excellent question, for me the experience is the thing. Going to Callaway, talking to the people that are really excited about golf, just to see the ECPC would make this an amazing trip. Meeting some of the people past events have had show up (RFC anyone?) would again be an amazing experience on it's own. To get a full bag of Callaway gear? Again, amazing by itself. I could go on. Each of the aspects is amazing on it's own. The big one for me really is the experience, just getting to go and meet the Callaway team, and talk to them, and getting to play golf with them, and all the other THP folks is the one thing I would be most excited about.

BUT you take all of those other things and add it to that experience? It's really amazing. I don't even know how to put it in words to convey the excitement I have just to get a chance to play the game.

With all of that said? I would love to help THP take Darth Finley's belt from him. That would just make the whole thing that much sweeter.

Win the golf game, or not win the golf game, there is no "bad" or "lose" about this amazing event.

I want to go, just to be a part of this event. To meet and play golf with my fellow THPers, and to meet and play golf with some really cool folks from Callaway. A chance to learn just a little from some of the greats of the game. Free gear? Sure, that's GREAT. Make Finley cry a little by taking his belt from him? Even better.
To walk the grounds at the hideaway, and eat dinner with some great people, play some golf with said great people? That's THE thing I want to experience most.

Time of my life is right there with winning the belt. I think you can't achieve winning that belt without having the time of your life. Even then if you fall short of that goal you can look back and say you still won.

So much more to this event then a W or L.

If I am lucky enough to get picked nothing in my "prep" will change.
I am always striving to play better golf and I plan on doing that until the day I die.
I will show up, smile all the time and play the best golf I can :)

For me, it would be the experience. Embrace that experience and your game should follow... Confidence in that could be the factor that brings the belt home.

I want to have the time of my life at a once in a lifetime experience and soak up all that is thegrandaddy. If I can do that and bring home the belt it would be even better

If your sole focus in all of this is winning, you will miss so so so so so so much.

You can't forget to stop and smell the roses!

If your sole focus in all of this is winning, you will miss so so so so so so much.

Literally, the flowers. They smell amazing at the Hideaway

Literally, the flowers. They smell amazing at the Hideaway
The flower bed you drive by when you finish the front 9 on the Clive course....Best smell in the world. Wish i was exaggerating

And thats kind of the point in my question. Lots of "gotta win the belt" talk and rightfully so. They've kicked our ass for three years now. But i dont think theyve been so successful because of how much they want to win. In fact, i know thats not why they win. The reason they are sooooo tough to beat is A. Theyre used to tough courses B. They all are capable of playing at or better than their handicap C. They are there to have fun. Its a golf vacation. Not a mission.

And thats kind of the point in my question. Lots of "gotta win the belt" talk and rightfully so. They've kicked our ass for three years now. But i dont think theyve been so successful because of how much they want to win. In fact, i know thats not why they win. The reason they are sooooo tough to beat is A. Theyre used to tough courses B. They all are capable of playing at or better than their handicap C. They are there to have fun. Its a golf vacation. Not a mission.

That last one is why Johnny is SO lethal every year, even Finley talked about that part with him.

Plus, Harry is literally the best putter I have ever seen in my life.

I want to go to have the time of my life. This is an experience I would more than likely never have again and I would have to soak it up. If I was there solely focused on the belt I wouldn't be getting the whole experience and really, be missing out on what this event was really designed to do which is have some of the most fun the participants will ever have.

Time of my life. I love playing golf, but have never really played in any tournaments/outings other than with the guys I know. Tremendous experience to play in something outside of what you know, meet new people, get fit into the best equipment in the game and play one of the best courses. Winning would be gravy, but from all of the threads I have read, this seems more about camaraderie. Feels like once you go to the Grandaddy, you are in the brotherhood.

I would make sure that I had the time of my life and really bonded with everyone. Winning the belt would be icing on the cake, but not enjoying it to the fullest because I am so wrapped up in winning would be a shame.

Personally, if I were to miraculously get in this year my focus up to the event would be on preparing to win. Getting the game locked in. Once I got there, it would be about the experience. I would give it my all to win, but I think just focusing on winning would rob you of some great new friends and what is one of the most unique, special experiences in the world of golf.

More people play Augusta this weekend than will ever play in the #Grandaddy.

Seems like we will have no choice but to have the time of our lives. Will focus on good golf and taking in the setting and the belt will happen or it won't. I play better when I am in a good mood anyways.

I also went to Carlsbad High School but haven't been back in a while so this would be ten times more awesome because of that. Probably try to squeeze in a round at The Crossings afterwards to see what $70 million buys a city

This is so true. It's a vacation to them, they have a blast and want to make sure you do too. That was really their #1 priority, it showed through pretty clearly the whole trip.

I'll echo what's been said before. I spent months picturing in my head how awesome this was gong to be, every day leading up to the event. I was kind of worrying that maybe I was putting it on a pedestal, and would possibly be let down some of it didn't live up to expectations. This thing blew every single expectation I had so far out of the water it's just that ridiculously amazing. I'm so glad I took the time while there to reflect and appreciate what was happening, b/c it truly is a once in a lifetime experience. Words don't do it justice.

I will for sure show up with a traveling handicap and golf the crap out of my ball. You saw that at the gauntlet, I'm more than capable and that's all I can control.

But...I want to go the the hideaway and eat breakfast sliders. I want to hang out with the ZooCrew and get fit for equipment while listening to Rodger Cleveland teach me more about how to hit wedges. I want to enjoy two of the best courses on the planet while getting to take endless future screen savers for all of my electronics. I want to not just play golf, but live it, and live it in the most unbelievable way for a few days in December. I want memories that every time I think of them puts an endless smile on my face. I want to share the experience with a few other THPers and with Dan as our captain and hopefully be able to update the forum with a little taste of what we are experiencing.

...I want the damn granddaddy of them all in the way only THP and Callaway know how to do. And I want it all.

Being the first team to bring the belt to THP would be awesome, but having the time of your life with a great company, playing an outstanding course and making life long friends is the motivation that drives me.

Honestly what means the most to me is being part of a select few who have experienced golf nirvana. Then being able to share my thoughts and experiences with anyone who will listen. I am so excited to know that this year the Grandaddy will be returning and I may be one of the lucky few who get to experience it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'll simplify my response. I WANT IN SO I CAN HELP TAKE THE BELT!!

The time of my life of course. What's a belt or any victory for that matter when nobody had fun or enjoyed themself at all? Sounds like a waste of your own time and everyone else's to me.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

winning the belt would be number 1 for me I think. The experience will be amazing regardless. Might as well win!

Having the time of my life.

After #TheGauntlet in 2014 I came home and was upset I played like crap. My game and everything I worked so hard for, just disappeared. I beat myself up for weeks.

Then it hit me. It should have hit me before or even during the event, but it didn't. It hit me that I missed some HUGE opportunities to connect with friends. Don't get me wrong, I made friends that I still talk to and text. I made friends that PM when I post happy and sad things. I have friends who truly care and I've met them once or twice. Think about that. There are people across the country that call me a friend and I've played maybe 36 holes with them. Some may think that's corny or whatever. I find that absolutely amazing!

But I missed the chances that were before me because I was so wrapped up in playing great golf and winning. I will NEVER make that mistake again. I will enjoy every second, win or lose, and I will embrace the new friends.

So the belt may be important but having the time of my life is number 1 and it's not even close

Back