Shoe Ponders - Fashion over Function

Ill sacrifice some comfort if they look awesome. I can't sacrifice all the comfort because they'll be impossible to walk in but I can definitely give up a little. Looks are important to me, I'm not afraid to admit it.

80% fit
10% price
10% look

I have huge feet, and I have a lot of issues finding a good pair of shoes. so if I find one that fits, thats under 200$ and looks somewhat okay, I'll buy them

75% comfort
25% looks

Fashion - 33.33%
Function - 33.33%

(Price - 33.33%)

function over fashion for me. With that said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are lots of great looking golf shoes, that, also, offer great function.

50% 50%, I don't think there is any reason to sacrifice one for the other with all the offerings we have today (particularly with PUMA).

I'd be lying if I told you I didn't care how they look, more than performance. SO, I'd guess looks 60 / 40 over performance.

I'd say 50/50 for me. There are too many options put there to settle for something that doesn't look good and aren't very comfortable

Yes, definitely.

25%/75%

60 function, 40 fashion.

It needs to fit well, be comfortable, and look good.

I use to be all fashion. Nowadays I don't think I need to compromise because some companies are getting both right.

If I don't like the look, I can't rock them.

Last edited:
I would probably say 50/50 for me. They have to look decent to catch my attention, but I am starting to get more and more about comfort as well. I will sacrifice in each area if one is a huge win.

For me it's probably 60% fashion, 35% function and 5% cost.

I tend to like the looks of a shoe first, then comfort.

60/40 My Oakley Ciphers in blue really do suck as a golf shoe, but that blue goes so well with my scripting :)

I would say 80% Function and 20% Fashion

I've been lucky as Ecco my primary brand the past 15 years has been fantastic in both departments, and Puma the same for the past two years for me.

I have a pair of Nike Lunar Mont Royal's on right now, testing them out. At first feel they are way behind both those two in comfort, but they look very nice. I'll give them a couple days even though I feel shoes shouldn't have to be "broken in" they should fit perfect right out of the box.

85 function /15 fashion.

With all the walking I do, function is much higher on my list than it had been previously.

99.9% function.

Not really a percentage for me to be honest. If I don't like the way it looks then I don't care about performance as I won't try it on.

We are lucky to have enough solid offerings that we don't have to make concessions IMO.

For me it has to look good before I even consider it. (Example, I don't care how those high top shoes Ricky wears perform, they just don't fit my eye so I'll never wear them). Once it passes in the looks department, I consider function. If it feels bad or has a reputation to be a poor performer, I wouldn't buy it no matter how good it looked. If you are looking percentages probably 90/10 towards fashion. Since I have worn shoes that perform but may not have been my 1st pick fashion wise (but still acceptable looking).

Interesting conversation in one of the latest release threads bring me to the question;

If you found a shoe that felt incredible, reduced all aspects of fatigue, and took forever to break down.... But you didn't like the way the shoe looked.... Could you wear them during your golf season?

What percentage of your shoe purchase is fashion, and what percentage is function?

I'm the wrong person for this question.

My feet were comfy even though my shins were bleeding.

But no, to answer your question, I won't wear something if I don't like how it looks on me.

Interesting conversation in one of the latest release threads bring me to the question;

If you found a shoe that felt incredible, reduced all aspects of fatigue, and took forever to break down.... But you didn't like the way the shoe looked.... Could you wear them during your golf season?

What percentage of your shoe purchase is fashion, and what percentage is function?

this is what i'm doing right now. i wear these http://us.shop.ecco.com/ecco-mens-biom-zero-plus-130334.html?dwvar_130334_color=50091#q=biom+zero. they look like ballet shoes, and i get made fun of pretty often! but they're the most comfortable shoes i've ever worn.

I probably sit at 75% fashion, 25% function. However, a great looking, uncomfortable shoe and a hideous, super comfortable shoe would never be worn by me.

For example, I have 2 pairs of the Nike Lunar Clayton in grey and white. I absolutely love the way the shoe looks, but the grip on them is not great in moist conditions. I think that is a fair enough trade off, for me, since these are probably my favorite looking golf shoe.

Back