THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

I've been going through the list of hopefuls. Seems I've got a few tough decisions to make in the not so far future.

I've been going through the list of hopefuls. Seems I've got a few tough decisions to make in the not so far future.

Lots of interest, that is for sure.

Lots of interest, that is for sure.

It is really great to see the interest on both sides for this one. I know long before the DC/MD/VA side was even announced, a few of us had discussions if we thought we could field a team. I will have to say the interest shown on the DMV side has even surpassed what I thought there would be.

The Carolina's have turned out extremely strong, Captain LightingBolt will have some very tough decisions as well.

I'm a 35 degree and up golfer. That means today's practice will be indoor putting and possibly some time on flightscope if my club has it set up already. I'm really hoping they have it ready to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is really great to see the interest on both sides for this one. I know long before the DC/MD/VA side was even announced, a few of us had discussions if we thought we could field a team. I will have to say the interest shown on the DMV side has even surpassed what I thought there would be.

The Carolina's have turned out extremely strong, Captain LightingBolt will have some very tough decisions as well.
Those picks are going to be tough.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Those picks are going to be tough.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You got that right! Some people have really stepped up on our side. Some seemed to have let their enthusiasm drop a bit. Ebbs and flows I guess

You got that right! Some people have really stepped up on our side. Some seemed to have let their enthusiasm drop a bit. Ebbs and flows I guess

i admit that this event has made me be more active on THP; which is part of what it is supposed to do. Had a great time playing with lynchburg14 and G$$$ a couple of weeks ago. Make the team or not, I still plan on being at the event and continuing my participation on the forum.

i admit that this event has made me be more active on THP; which is part of what it is supposed to do. Had a great time playing with lynchburg14 and G$$$ a couple of weeks ago. Make the team or not, I still plan on being at the event and continuing my participation on the forum.

I like it dude. I look forward to meeting you. When I make the trip down to play RNK I'll be sure to let you know.

Well, based on weather projections if I don't get out today it could be a while so I'm going to suck it up-and pray the bay heaters really do work. Been working on some ball striking drills in the basement and want to see if it translates. Question is will I be the only lunatic there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's my goal in life, to make your decision as tough as possible!! I'm sure it will be difficult with so many great choices!!! All you can do is the "best you can" then lay your head on your pillow and have confidence in your choices. I'm sure you'll do a great job either way!!

Here is a question.

How do the hopefuls plan on switching from a Team mentality to a self mentality once you've pushed the peg in the ground on the first tee. Is there a difference in mindset?

IMHO I think one has to be cognizant of both aspects to some degree, depending on format. If it's AS, I think the team aspect is primary while for something like best ball, you would be more self focused during play.

Regardless of format, when one stands over the ball the primary focus should be visualizing and executing the shot at hand. Do the little things and the big things tend to take care of themselves.

I know it's cliche but I don't know any way to handle it except "one shot at a time". The situation will change, no doubt from hole to hole and based on your partner's play but each swing really comes down to the "most important thing at that moment". Afterward team versus self considerations can be evaluated. The results maybe good or bad but I want to enjoy the experience. We don't get these opportunities that often.

Here is a question.

How do the hopefuls plan on switching from a Team mentality to a self mentality once you've pushed the peg in the ground on the first tee. Is there a difference in mindset?

I don't think there is a change in mindset. I know I would be ultimately playing for a team and working for a team win, but for the team to win I have to focus on the individual. Basically control what you can control. When I am not playing I am supporting the team, but when I am playing I can't worry about what anyone else is doing. I personally prefer to not know how the team is doing until after I am done with my match.

This is assuming you are referring to the team as DMV and not playing partner. With playing partner you do your best to support them and help them (if desired) but you still have to focus on executing your own shots.

My mindset will be the same either way, focus on the shot at hand. I can't hit the second shot until I hit the first, so I will go out and play my game no matter what the format and try and keep the ball in play. I think when you have the mindset that this a big event and every shot has to be perfect, you set yourself up for disappointment. If I make the team for the Carolinas, you won't be able to miss me, I'll be the big guy grinning all the time, because this is going to be a blast!

Here is a question.

Good question. And a tough one. In some ways the 'team' mentality is finding partners and chemistry. On the other hand it is going to depend in format and how you and your partner are playing (can I risk playing aggressive or do i need to be safe for a score), what is the overall picture in the competion (ahead or behind, by how much). A ton of variables but still one shot at a time.

Here is a question.

Having played in several team events, I think this would be easy for me.

You can only control your shot and your score. In a team event like this, there will be 3 other matches going ahead or behind you, you don't know how those are going or have any control over what happens in those.

I'll equate it to something I heard Chris Cooley (former Tight End now a radio analyst) say. A linebacker has to worry about hitting his gap, that's all he can control. He has to have faith in his teammates that they take care of their responsibilities. If he starts worrying that they won't be where they are supposed to be and try to do more, then he's not 100% focused on his responsibility and can fail.

I think that applies to team golf and actually many phases of everyday life.

IMO it's all about the team from being a team of 8 to a team of 2 when the tee goes in the ground. I have to hit golf shots regardless so for me it's one shot at a time. During the round and whatever format we are playing I feel confident enough that I can strategize with my partner to make adjustments that will benefit us and the team.

You can only control yourself. No matter what you have the shot at hand to take care of. You can't control even what your partner does, you can only give encouragement along the way. So the team aspect can only be controlled to a certain degree. It's still an individual sport. But as long as you have chemistry with your partner, all other things should fall into place.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Here is a question.

The Team mindset stays. If anything, it gets taken up a notch. Playing with a partner, have to make sure I keep him in a good spot and set up our team in the best position to win.

The Team mindset stays. If anything, it gets taken up a notch. Playing with a partner, have to make sure I keep him in a good spot and set up our team in the best position to win.

The part about keeping the partner in a good spot made me think of a funny story, I'll tell on myself.

Many years ago playing Alternate shot. I was on the tee of a par 5. At the time, I had pretty good length of the tee, and my partner could just kill it. So we were naturally thinking reaching in two. he says to me. Just keep me anywhere in the short grass and we're good.

So I promptly, literally whiffed my tee shot, and the breeze knocked it like 6 inches form the tee :shock: Two things that were said on the tee that I'll remember forever.

1) Our opponent said, "There's your pop" as I was stroking on the hole.

2) My partner says "Not exactly what I had in mind when I said keep it in the short grass" He said it with a laugh an no anger (I think)

I don't really think a change in mindset will happen. I am about the team from the outset. That said, being part of a team though is doing your individual job. You have to trust your partner to do his, and if he struggles, help him in a way that he responds best.

The part about keeping the partner in a good spot made me think of a funny story, I'll tell on myself.

Many years ago playing Alternate shot. I was on the tee of a par 5. At the time, I had pretty good length of the tee, and my partner could just kill it. So we were naturally thinking reaching in two. he says to me. Just keep me anywhere in the short grass and we're good.

So I promptly, literally whiffed my tee shot, and the breeze knocked it like 6 inches form the tee :shock: Two things that were said on the tee that I'll remember forever.

1) Our opponent said, "There's your pop" as I was stroking on the hole.

2) My partner says "Not exactly what I had in mind when I said keep it in the short grass" He said it with a laugh an no anger (I think)

That's amazing.

Here is a question.

I don't know that there is a change in mindset for me. No matter how good I play, I can't win the event alone. No matter how good the rest of my team is doing, they can't hit a shot for me. It is by definition a team event. While I am hitting, I am going to be 100% focused on the shot at hand, but as soon as the ball is at rest, I'm going to be wondering how my team is doing and how I can help.

Back