Grip’s effect on swing path

Trevor68

Reaction score
Handicap
I was practicing at the range today and noticed that when i have a neutral or weak grip, my divots show an out to in path. However, when I strengthen the grip substantially, the path becomes pretty neutral without any conscious movement. Any idea why this happens?

My first two thoughts are either:

1 - the neutral grip leaves the face open and you subconsciously compensate by swinging left to keep the ball from going right.

2 - you lead your backswing with your lead thumb (perhaps subconsciously), so when neutral the thumb has a tendency to go upward during the backswing and when strengthened the thumb is pointing more right and flattens the backswing.

Yeah, this happens with me as well. I think because my swing is so feel oriented (thus inconsistent) I can feel the change and make compensations. With a strong grip I swing from outside in. With a neutral grip I can fan the club inside. The neutral grip feels better but has worse results. I hate the way a strong grip feels, but the results are better.

also for myself grip pressure. If I practice at the range without my bottom hand's index and thumb touching the club at all it fades, and if I grip the club really hard it draws.... maybe just me? Not that I would trust it during a round though.
Curious to read Panda's thoughts.

The club is releasing left with the neutral grip. The stringer grip is creating more lag on the down swing, so you get a straighter release.

Back