• Putter

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Full Line of all clubs

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Apparel

Votes: 22 33.8%

• Total voters
If I am going to do it I am going big and going with a full line of clubs

See i wouldnt touch apparel and for sure not shoes. To think of how big Puma is and then to realize that they are only 4% of the marketshare is insane. FootJoy literally dominates that market along with adidas. No way i could make a living competing against good shoes that are available constantly for blowout prices i couldnt even touch

Accessories. I'd look into the head cover, divot tool, ball marker area. If people are like me, they like to customize their game but may not want to spring for a customizable putter. Giving them quality options on the accessories would allow them to do so, but keep it economical. There are some solid companies in this regard however, so like with all the other categories, it'd be a tough go of it.

I heard one could work with a factory in Taiwan to get into the golf ball business ... that's another option. :silly:

If I lucky enough to come up with an idea I would say wedges. These get purchased / replaced fairly often so the market should be good!

I would go the Apparel route... without research, it would seem that it has lower barriers to entry, but also has very large margins. Also, you could pick select target markets to go after and probably have some success. Its all about the fit/ performance of the materials.

I watched Nickent do it with very good technology and until they expanded to full line were showing signs of making it

The first hybrid I ever put in the bag was a Nickent. Absolutely fantastic club.

Would def try and avoid it, but I would go apparel. I like scripting and clothes so I think that would fit my passion there.

See i wouldnt touch apparel and for sure not shoes. To think of how big Puma is and then to realize that they are only 4% of the marketshare is insane. FootJoy literally dominates that market along with adidas. No way i could make a living competing against good shoes that are available constantly for blowout prices i couldnt even touch

I agree with you here. UA is the perfect test case. It took getting a major winner for them to sell golf apparel in large quantities and they are publicly traded.

For every small company that appears to make it, there are dozens that try each year and don't.

Although it's a tough market, apparel is the first thing that comes to mind for me. I've thought for years now that it would be cool to develop a brand and line that is more affordable in order to reach more golfers. Getting into golf is already intimidating enough to people who aren't familiar with the game (all those clubs, the perception of how expensive it all is), and then you add expensive clothes on top of that if you want to "fit in" with everyone else or mimic the pros.

$30-50 pants and polos for everyone! :D

My preference would also be that it is Made in USA, but that would make it even harder probably to keep the street prices reasonable.

Dreams...

This is a tough question! Cookie had the correct answer, ha ha!

I choose irons, since I feel that is what we use more swing that anything, of course. So, to develop an iron that could be both a great looking gamer for both Tour Pros and 25 caps, would be a feat for sure!

It seems like these are all really tough nuts to crack but I would guess that the margins are much better with textiles than with clubs, so I would lean that direction.

Putters can be so personal, I think you would have a lot more wiggle room for what to do and who your market could be, especially with different price points.

Boutique putter maker.

Harder than hell path to take, but its a passion.

Putters. No doubt about it.

Not going near the golf industry investment wise unless I can find a great peace of land that has a poorly run golf course that I can buy for like 10 cents on the dollar that it cost to build it.

My first thought was putters, high end one off stuff.

I chose the putter category. It is open for the most creativity in my mind. Most people are willing to look at a crazy style putter over irons or woods. Plus I love to hit putts...

I am going Driver. Yes there are tons out there and the marketing against the big OEM's would be hard but I figure it only making one club. I can put more time and R&D into that club. Focus on just making the club head and allowing people to fit what ever shaft they have or want to have into it. Maybe offer to sponsor a high school/college team to start and see what happens.

I am going Driver. Yes there are tons out there and the marketing against the big OEM's would be hard but I figure it only making one club. I can put more time and R&D into that club. Focus on just making the club head and allowing people to fit what ever shaft they have or want to have into it. Maybe offer to sponsor a high school/college team to start and see what happens.

Biggest problem with this is even if you stumble upon a great design you will have to sell them for $500 to even dream of breaking even.

Putters at least can be milled to high tolerances with out being absurd cost to make.

I'm thinking Putter. Something high end. Proven head designs but unique materials and finishes. If possible allowing customizing of colors and options.

While I would focus on both equipment and apparel, I would investigate the potential for dedicating my products to lady golfers. I might partner with a club designer or engineer with the specific goal of creating clubs specifically for the ladies and their games. I would enter discussions with popular and known lady apparel companies to create or develop a line of golf apparel. Much like the LPGA, I would think global. I would make sure that the lady golfers of the world know that we exist for them, that they are not just an after thought of the companies catering to men. Moreover, perhaps, at some point sponsor an LPGA event.

This is a really fun topic.
Hybrids are not on the list, but I think that is where I would head.

I like what you are thinking, I would see if I could get some of the guys that Adams let go as with Adams becoming whatever it will be under TM there will be an opportunity for some Hybrid sales.

I also think if the tech is good some of it could be used to transition into FWs or Irons if you decided to throw down more money later on.

I stray so far from the beaten path with my own equipment preferences that any line conceived by me would probably fail spectacularly.

Have to answer with apparel. Seems like it would the easiest to break into and have the highest return rate. Also even non golfers wear it so it grows my market share and target audience.

Putters would be the way for me into the market, with apparel a close second. You don't often see new equipment companies popping up, minus the few. Question is do those few stand to make it very long and what are their actual profit margins?

Back