Is there a club fitter in the house?

On the 7 iron, the Gmax is 3/8" longer
0f286e7e1aecc8939b46b533472197a5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if your specs are as stated by Wilson and Ping then it looks like your Pings are playing as though they were 1.25 degrees more upright than your Wilsons which will movie your impact towards the heel. Do you like the longer playing length of your Ping irons?

So if your specs are as stated by Wilson and Ping then it looks like your Pings are playing as though they were 1.25 degrees more upright than your Wilsons which will movie your impact towards the heel. Do you like the longer playing length of your Ping irons?

The Ping's are "Green Dot" however the GMax come in no lower than "Yellow Dot" so my GMax are at 64.14 (63.38 +. 75) vs 64 on the Wilson's. The length is fine. I'm not saying that I don't come over the top, however, looking at two sets, gives to me anyways, a different picture. One looks a lot worse than the other.

The Ping's are "Green Dot" however the GMax come in no lower than "Yellow Dot" so my GMax are at 64.14 (63.38 +. 75) vs 64 on the Wilson's. The length is fine. I'm not saying that I don't come over the top, however, looking at two sets, gives to me anyways, a different picture. One looks a lot worse than the other.

But the Pings are longer. So even if they are close to the same lie angle, you don't want them that way. The ping 7i should be closer to the lie angle of your D100 6 iron because of the difference in length. A general rule is .5 degrees flatter for every 1/2" of length you add to a club if you want it to play the same.

And I think you could move the impact pattern away from the heel with a lie angle adjustment based on the pattern you are seeing with the Wilsons. But you need to hit them with lie angle tape to make sure you get it right.

I've heard mixed opinions on bending Ping irons. But if the lie angle is off for you and they are custom spec they need to be bent or exchanged for the right lie angle. Otherwise you are not going to be happy with the purchase in the long run.

But the Pings are longer. So even if they are close to the same lie angle, you don't want them that way. The ping 7i should be closer to the lie angle of your D100 6 iron because of the difference in length. A general rule is .5 degrees flatter for every 1/2" of length you add to a club if you want it to play the same.

And I think you could move the impact pattern away from the heel with a lie angle adjustment based on the pattern you are seeing with the Wilsons. But you need to hit them with lie angle tape to make sure you get it right.

I've heard mixed opinions on bending Ping irons. But if the lie angle is off for you and they are custom spec they need to be bent or exchanged for the right lie angle. Otherwise you are not going to be happy with the purchase in the long run.

Thanks for you insight. It was what I was hoping to find by starting this thread. I have reached out to the fitter on what can be done since they haven't offered up anything. I am smelling "eBay"

Is there a club fitter in the house?

Here is an update: I tweeted a photo of my GMax irons to Ping and got the following Back:
cb82c64449467bc49826ea613b263b7a.jpg
8658dcf5a36ec6b1efc33e52fb6ebb0b.jpg

Talked to Ping and they told me to me to get refit and "Regardless, we want to make sure you have the proper fitting for the irons. Whatever changes need to be made we will take care of for you as a courtesy. "

I'll update when I get refit.

Last edited:
Good to hear. Keep us updated on how it goes.

So I got the clubs looked at today and the lie angles were 2 degrees flat than my other irons. So they came to me as Black Dot and not Green Dot like I ordered. Have to as why they came from Ping like that and why they weren't checked when they came in. Going to make a dry up change and tweak them closer to Spring.

Well I decided to do my own lie angle test and came up with the following:
63c8dc12e51a963506f9b5cdad78fc64.jpg
835e6447b9b0f679b04811e44aa25db2.jpg
0490a1ba6cf614c9e64d9e858fae6414.jpg
157d36c4addc0d69004aa9b379456a70.jpg

I sent these photos to the fitter and his thought was that they were right on. Can't argue with that. I'm thinking that it might be that they're a little long.

I'm not a fitter by any stretch of the imagination, but looking at the specs, I noticed that the cubs were soft stepped once. Don't know if that would have a bearing on it or not considering it's a regular shaft that would make the shaft "play" even softer per my understanding. If I'm wrong this someone correct me.

Update: I went the PGATSS to get fit. Turns out that with a Green Dot lie angle and 1" long shaft you get a effective "Silver Dot" lie angle. See the lower right of this photo
574b4a7fb7f223a1875c889f87296142.jpg
I have never seen this graph before. So at Silver Dot, my irons were 1 degree too upright, just as the CS at Ping said it was.
bd486ae7c10d9702d2a1e858d670f7d6.jpg
So I got refit as Yellow Dot with 1/2" long graphite stiff shaft. So now it will be an effective Green Dot. See the Yellow upper right. Ping is adjusting the lie angles, reshafting and putting on my Winn Midsize Grips, all comp.

Update: I went the PGATSS to get fit. Turns out that with a Green Dot lie angle and 1" long shaft you get a effective "Silver Dot" lie angle. See the lower right of this photo
574b4a7fb7f223a1875c889f87296142.jpg
I have never seen this graph before. So at Silver Dot, my irons were 1 degree too upright, just as the CS at Ping said it was.
bd486ae7c10d9702d2a1e858d670f7d6.jpg
So I got refit as Yellow Dot with 1/2" long graphite stiff shaft. So now it will be an effective Green Dot. See the Yellow upper right. Ping is adjusting the lie angles, reshafting and putting on my Winn Midsize Grips, all comp.

You may want to check with ping - when I was for they told me that the lie adjustment for the dot is changed based on the length - so green dot is always green. But to fit someone using the fitting heads they'd use the yellow and the plus 1/2" shaft.

I'm on the other side - a bit short and a bit flat.

Back