TaylorMade M2 Driver Preview

I was confused initially by the name. I thought it was a replacement to the M1 line before I read the description.

Could be be good for TM. I know a lot of people who liked the Aero Burner driver, this may be a progression in the right direction. They will need to educate the market, however, on the difference between the two lines.

Am I crazy thinking that they should have been targeting a $250-$300 price point?
I think the proverbial Overton Window has shifted to where a new release at that price point is now regarded as bargain bin, or using inferior materials. We've come to accept for the past several years that new drivers are multimaterial feats of technology and the development, manufacturing process, or cost of high-end materials demands higher price point. Whether that's true or companies padding their margins (and more power to them) is something for another day.

I think the sub-$300 new release is a thing of the past. For that matter, if I saw a most recent release at that price point, I would presume it's because they're about to release its replacement.

I've had pretty good success with TM drivers. Currently gaming the Aeroburner. I've owned the R5 and RocketBallz in the past. I hit the M1 but it wasn't for me. I will be checking out the M2.

One thing that displeases me is their marketing. It would've been nice if they offered the Aeroburner in both black and white at the time it came out instead of adding the black months later.

I think the proverbial Overton Window has shifted to where a new release at that price point is now regarded as bargain bin, or using inferior materials. We've come to accept for the past several years that new drivers are multimaterial feats of technology and the development, manufacturing process, or cost of high-end materials demands higher price point. Whether that's true or companies padding their margins (and more power to them) is something for another day.

I think the sub-$300 new release is a thing of the past. For that matter, if I saw a most recent release at that price point, I would presume it's because they're about to release its replacement.
I agree. The biggie IMO is that it would be hard to release anything at that price with shaft offerings that wouldn't draw massive 'mickey-mouse' criticism. That would go for any OEM but especially so for TM. As Ron pointed out, TM is damned if they do, damned if they don't, so releasing something that seems 'cheap' would go over horribly for them. #ammoforthehaters

now wait a minute. The SLDR C was well below $300, heck even $200. And Don't even think about calling it inferior or Bobcat will slay you with his Kusala !!

TM must have gotten approval from BMW for M1, M2.........and the inevitable M3, M4, M5, M6.

My buddies with Aeroburners and even still banging RBZS2's/SuperFast/SLDR are definitely aware of the M1 as an R15 alternative, not sure what they'll feel about M2 ("is higher number better or worse? it must be better because it's higher!" :bulgy-eyes:).

TM must have gotten approval from BMW for M1, M2.........and the inevitable M3, M4, M5, M6.

My buddies with Aeroburners and even still banging RBZS2's/SuperFast/SLDR are definitely aware of the M1 as an R15 alternative, not sure what they'll feel about M2 ("is higher number better or worse? it must be better because it's higher!" :bulgy-eyes:).

TaylorMade released their first M1 as the first flagship driver of the company

I was confused initially by the name. I thought it was a replacement to the M1 line before I read the description.

Could be be good for TM. I know a lot of people who liked the Aero Burner driver, this may be a progression in the right direction. They will need to educate the market, however, on the difference between the two lines.

The problem is- does the average consumer want to become educated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just scrolled through my fb and saw a post from TM about the m2 and the comments are very negative. It seems like almost every person is convinced this is already a replacement and they are once again "flooding the market" (direct quote used multiple times). Perhaps like some of you mentioned in this thread, the name isn't the best, idk but we'll see how these do. Perception can be killer

now wait a minute. The SLDR C was well below $300, heck even $200. And Don't even think about calling it inferior or Bobcat will slay you with his Kusala !!

It was funny, on Thursday I played with a guy who had a SLDR C and absolutely murdered it. The only think I laughed about was how cheap the head cover was.

TaylorMade released their first M1 as the first flagship driver of the company

BMW's original M1 was first produced in 1978.......before the TM M1 in 1980, so I assume at some point BMW approved it.

Interesting the J-Day's first M1 use was at the..........BMW Championship. :tinfoilhat:

It was funny, on Thursday I played with a guy who had a SLDR C and absolutely murdered it. The only think I laughed about was how cheap the head cover was.

It is a very underrated driver, for sure!

It is long, straight, solid, and forgiving, and looks great in the new gloss black color.

I love mine!

If you don't like the stock C-Series headcover, you can always choose a different one...I actually found the original SLDR Driver's headcover uglier than the C-headcover, so I use Leather ones from Stitch that match my golf bag.

:act-up:

Last edited:
This is correct, as it was stated in the THP article last month. I know people will flock to the "they release too fast" and "the M1 is already obsolete", but that is not the case. While I dont think they should have released it yet, since everybody (including me) knew it was coming, I do believe they should have gone with a different naming convention.

The average golfer is not going to listen to their marketing about the M Family, and instead view it as a replacement, although a quick look will see it is "stripped down" (I dont mean that negatively). I also think the price is bold at $349 based on the last 24 months for them, but we shall see.
It does seem like TM stays with the naming game too much. Seems like too high of a price for sure.

I really like my M1 so I will definitely demo it when it hits the stores. Based on the cg placement it appears to be the spinnier head which usually doesn't jive well with me.

I think the whole naming thing could be successful if tm is able to continue it correctly. One of my biggest issues is how all over the map they have been with the naming of their releases over the past 3 years which I think just confuses the less educated consumer. I would love for them to simplify things and transition next year into another letter 1 and 2. I think that would go a long way into simplifying things for the consumer.

It's a confusing message for sure

Not saying this applies to you directly but the M2 branding is only confusing if you rush to judge first instead of looking at the clubs and noticing the differences in the two lines.

Not saying this applies to you directly but the M2 branding is only confusing if you rush to judge first instead of looking at the clubs and noticing the differences in the two lines.

Maybe. Im not sure though. Natural convention says the higher number is the next driver.
Titleist goes around this by releasing Ap1 and Ap2 at the same time.
I mean if Ping released G30 and then two months later released G29 with no adjustable hosel and it costs less, it would confuse people. Just as it would if they did the same and called it G35.

However if released at the same time, its simply here is M1 and here is M2, designed for different golfers.

There are some unfortunate things going on for TM. I think whatever they named this driver, there was going to be some backlash of "flooding the market/rampant release cycles" when others are doing the same or more (Callaway in particular).

The name itself doesn't make sense to me, if you are dead set on releasing it for the PGA show more traditional start of the golf season in the northern hemisphere why not copy ping and name it T1 or E1? Or at maybe bring back the Burner name (without Aero or any other jargon)? It has been a couple years and I think for most recreational golfers that name resonates quite a bit.

Diversify the naming to make it easy to explain that this is a different style of driver with different tech. I will probably give it a hit but it doesn't make my top 5 for drivers I want to try this year.

You don't hit the driver's name, you hit the driver...so why the heck should TM's odd naming conventions matter so much?

Why not just judge ANY new driver solely on how it performs?

Seems to me, TM can get bashed for virtually anything they do these days...other brands, not so much...

You don't hit the driver's name, you hit the driver...so why the heck should TM's odd naming conventions matter so much?

Why not just judge all new drivers based soly on performance?

Seems to me, TM can get bashed for virtually anything they do these days...other brands, not so much...

Because their "odd naming" just confuses the average consumer. The average person won't see it as a price point driver. They'll just see a "new TM" driver so now they can buy the M1 at a lower price. Or, they'll wonder why they spent the money on the M1 when the M2 was about to come out and how could this driver be better than the M1.

It has absolutely nothing to do with it being TM vs another company.

$299 would have been better IMO. And for the name I agree. M2 gives the impression they've moved on from M1. They could have gone with M1 Burner or M1 Aero. But then again what do I know lol
M1 C? :wink:

Because their "odd naming" just confuses the average consumer. The average person won't see it as a price point driver. They'll just see a "new TM" driver so now they can buy the M1 at a lower price. Or, they'll wonder why they spent the money on the M1 when the M2 was about to come out and how could this driver be better than the M1.

It has absolutely nothing to do with it being TM vs another company.

I think you under-estimate the "average person". Most people these days will do a bit of research before buying a new driver. They know there is a lot to choose from. Sure, there are budgets and price points, but for some, the M2 will also outperform the M1, just as for some, the AeroBurner outperformed the R15. Higher price does not necessarily equal higher performance. That depends on the player!

For that case, brand name doesnt matter either...Yet it seems to constantly come up in these posts. :bulgy-eyes:

For that case, brand name doesnt matter either...Yet it seems to constantly come up in these posts. :bulgy-eyes:

Maybe that's because the subject matter, (M2), happens to be a TM (brand name) product...

the average consumer who spent $499 on the m1 will look at this as you just came out with a driver that was supposed to be helpful, generate more speed and more distance and now another one that's supposed to be alomg those lines. Naming it with m and number causes confusion to the guy who buys off the rack and doesn't do research

Back