Course Review - Sand Hollow Resort (Championship) - Hurricane, Utah

BuckeyeGolfer

Reaction score
Winters Abroad but Summers in Northeast Ohio
Handicap
There are a handful of golf courses I've played that get an unequivocal "play it under any circumstances" recommendation from me. Pacific Dunes comes to mind. There are other courses that are fantastic but are (in my opinion) too hard for 90% of golfers. Oakmont and Whistling Straits fall into this category. Sand Hollow, I'm happy to report, falls into the former category. If you ever have the opportunity to play it, do not hesitate, just say yes and reserve your tee time. It is an absolutely wonderful track. The views on the back nine are so sublime that I told my wife next time she should just ride along in the cart and enjoy it. As for the details and why you should play it read on for the rest of my review.

The clubhouse at Sand Hollow as seen from a fairway bunker on the 9th hole​

Practice Area - A

Much like the course itself, the practice facilities at Sand Hollow are great. Not only is there a full driving range with target greens, short game area, and putting green, they have what they call their "Wee Course." The Wee Course is basically a chip, pitch, and putt par 3 course with holes ranging from 50-120 yards. Not only is it fun to play it gives you a good feel for the type of shots (a lot of bump and runs) necessary to score well on the Championship Course. If I lived close by I'd be spending a lot of time here.

Course Conditions - B+

The front nine in particular at Sand Hollow has a very linksy feel to it. By that I mean it plays very firm and fast. The roll you'll get with the firm fairways, coupled with the elevation, means the course plays much shorter than the yardage would indicate. For perspective, I'm an average-length driver (225-250 off the tee under normal conditions) and the whites at 6500 were almost too short.

This isn't to say that the course is burnt-out or subpar in any way. It simply means that it's not the soft, lush, and green parkland style course that many are used to. If you've ever played any traditional links course you'll know what I mean. That being said almost all the greens, tee boxes, bunkers, etc. were in great shape.

The 10th green at Sand Hollow​

Layout - A

Most of the reviews and general commentary on Sand Hollow revolve around the front nine being rather average and the back nine being out of this world. I disagree with this slightly.

The front at Sand Hollow doesn't have the same views as the back. To be fair, pretty much every direction you look in this part of the country is gorgeous. The difference with Sand Hollow is that on the front you're not playing over any ridges where you can see for miles. The front is just a superb layout without the need for any wow factor.

The first hole at first glance appears rather mundane; extremely wide fairway, a green so large you could fit a small village on it, and downhill to boot. Once you actually play it you realize that to score well it needs to be played rather precisely. A drive down the right side of the fairway leaves a downhill approach, a firm green running away from you, and a carry over a bunker. A drive down the left side leaves a level, unencumbered approach. It's the classic "easy bogey, difficult par" type of design. I could go on and on but in a nutshell I think the front is severely underrated.

The fireworks on the back nine start with the par 3 11th hole. The hole itself isn't particularly demanding however once you get to the green and look over the ridge behind it you'll see why everyone raves about Sand Hollow. Here you can literally see for miles. You'll see mountains, red rocks, and simply some of the most stunning views you'll see anywhere in the world. The next five holes play along a ridge where on every tee box you'll stand there and be thankful you're alive and decided to to learn to play golf. I said at the time the views were the best I've ever seen on a golf course. I've never played Pebble Beach so I can't compare it to that. Pacific (and Bandon for that matter) are also spectacular but those are ocean views. If I had to pick which is more beautiful I'm not sure I could do it. Mountain or Ocean views? I suppose it's a personal preference thing but any course that's in the same conversation with Pacific Dunes should be a must-play for any golfer.

This is what you see standing on the 11th green​

Pace of Play - A

The day I played this winter was a beautiful, 75 degree day and play moved along fabulously. I suppose in the heart of the season things might get backed up but when I was there things were perfect. Our threesome played our round in just under four hours and were never pushed or held back.

The first "Wow" tee shot of the round on the 12th hole​

Price - A

This should be understood by this point in my review but Sand Hollow is an amazing facility on every level. Prices max out in season at $125 for 18 holes but there are definitely deals to be had. I paid about $45 for 18 via teeoff.com for an early afternoon round. Needless to say it's one of the best values I've come across. The only course that might compare that I've played is World Woods in Florida.

Amenities - B

The clubhouse at Sand Hollow is very nice if not basic. There are the usual shirts, hats, and the necessary supplies for a round. It's perfectly fine but I've seen larger and more luxurious. As far as I could tell there are no locker room facilities. Aside from that the course has all the typical amenities; bathrooms on the course, cart service, etc. Definitely the off-course highlight is the superb 19th hole. Here you'll sit and watch the 9th and 18th greens from a deck high above as the sun goes down (at least for our afternoon round). It's really the perfect end to a perfect day of golf.

Overall - A

Like I said earlier, if you are ever given the opportunity to play Sand Hollow, do not pause, just say yes without hesitation. It's superb on every possible level. I cannot wait to go back.

The par 3 15th hole. Possibly my favorite tee shot on the course

A gallery with full-size images from the course can be found here.

Last edited:
Nice review, thanks for sharing. I was right there last year and didn't know about the course. Dang it.

Looks like a great course. I will plan on making a trip to play it someday. Thanks for sharing.

Great review Buckeye! I played this course back in 2013 and I agree in almost every aspect. I played like crap that day, but the course is drop dead spectacular. It's hard to play because you want to snap so many pics!

Nice review, beautiful course.

Beautiful course, love that photo on 11 green going to 12 tee.

As far as value in comparison to WW, I'd much rather spend that 45 and play here than spend 45 and play World Woods. Those views are just awe inspiring.

Looks like a nice course to play. Thanks for the great pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have heard and read a lot about this course. Your review is one of the better ones I've read.

Thanks and great pictures.

I really enjoy John Fought's designs. Will have to schedule a trip to UT that doesn't involve skiing. Thanks for the review and photos.

Thanks for a good "write up." If I get back to that area, I will check it out.

great looking course, thanks for the review

awesome review and the pics are amazing, looks like a great setup

Looks beautiful!

I played there 5 years ago and reading your review makes it feel like it was just yesterday! SH gets kicked around in my top 5 personal favorites depending on how I feel that day

I got to play here for the first time today. Loved it. I found a deal like on teeoff.com and was able to play for $40. This might be my new favorite course in southern Utah.

I thought it was a challenging course but never at any point did I feel it was unfair. Lots of deep bunkers but I managed to stay out of most of them by picking the right spots to lay up. The greens were in great shape. The sand in the bunkers was nicer than any course I had played before.

There was kind of a pileup on the 10th tee after playing the front 9 quickly somehow I had to wait for 4 groups on the 10th. I'm not sure what happened there. As a result it took about 4:20 to play. Still I've had worse on a Saturday afternoon.

Definitely will play here again.

Those are some phenomenal views. Great review!

Ever since I learned of the St George area golf, this is the course that is #1 on my "want to play" list. Dying to play there.

One of the things I really liked about this course was even though there were a ton of bunkers, none of them felt unfair. I never felt like I was forced into an impossible shot. On holes where I laid up with a long approach shot it was into a larger safer target. On shorter holes greens were much more protected. Seemed like most holes had multiple options on how to approach them. Definitely a course where you will use every club in the bag.

I love this course. This is probably my favourite St George/area course. I think it's a great layout with amazing views. The conditions were great when I've played it. Can't wait to go back there. I have some pretty nice pics of this course. Beware of the snake

https://goo.gl/photos/G9tTc437z11UDAXx8

A teaser pic:
2mxjqm1.jpg

Back