Aerotech SteelFiber Shaft Thread

110 stiff is more comparable to x100. Perhaps that's the cause of the distance loss

Yeah, I think that's part of it. I guess I'll just have to learn to swing like Kang.

Yeah, I think that's part of it. I guess I'll just have to learn to swing like Kang.
Aerotech is notoriously stiff to flex, especially the 110. And you do NOT want to swing like me lol

I was wondering if these shafts would be better for a newer player over the S300? I have only played S300 since I have started playing golf and came across a set of i20's in my specs with the stiff steelfiber i110cw shafts. I was thinking about buying them but I wasn't sure about these shafts. Any opinions would be appreciated.

The 110 does play stiffer to flex according my fitter from the Grandaddy. When I dropped down to 95 he had me in my usual flex and the results were really good.

As for beginner, I'm not sure that part of the equation matters except in cost. A beginner or someone new to the game might not want to pony up the extra cash to have these. Performance wise, its all about fit. Have you had a chance to hit your irons or anything else that you are looking at on a monitor to get some numbers?

I'd think steelfiber 95 stiff would play noticeably more stiff than recoil 95 f4. If you're getting similar numbers it's definitely all about feel. I preferred steelfiber over recoil as well
I did too. Tried 95 stiff in these, 95 & 110 in recoil. Was much more consistent with these over both recoil shafts. Extremely noticeable too. Not sure what it was, but could predict my ball flight with these and not with the recoil. Recoil felt a little better to me, though I like the feel of these, and with the tighter and more predictable shot pattern it was a no brainer.

I did too. Tried 95 stiff in these, 95 & 110 in recoil. Was much more consistent with these over both recoil shafts. Extremely noticeable too. Not sure what it was, but could predict my ball flight with these and not with the recoil. Recoil felt a little better to me, though I like the feel of these, and with the tighter and more predictable shot pattern it was a no brainer.

Had you played graphite in irons before? I'm thinking of picking up a set of irons in graphite due to some nagging injuries, and a few people have noted that steelfiber had more "steel-like" feel than recoil, which might appeal to me.

I've tried the 95 and the 110 in XR Pro irons. To me they are completely different shafts. Dispersion for me was much better in the 95 over the 110's. Also tried them against recoils and preferred the feel of the recoils slightly (tough call) but the steelfibers were much better overall for my swing

Had you played graphite in irons before? I'm thinking of picking up a set of irons in graphite due to some nagging injuries, and a few people have noted that steelfiber had more "steel-like" feel than recoil, which might appeal to me.

I have. The XXIO irons I'm reviewing have graphite in them too, but they feel very different from these. The recoil feel to me changes depending on which model you are swinging. The Proto 125, they feel very steel-like(to use your term). The 670, not as much to me. They all feel stable, but just different.

I have. The XXIO irons I'm reviewing have graphite in them too, but they feel very different from these. The recoil feel to me changes depending on which model you are swinging. The Proto 125, they feel very steel-like(to use your term). The 670, not as much to me. They all feel stable, but just different.

I agree with you on that. I've liked the recoil 95/110 when I've swung them in irons, and loved the 680 in a hybrid I tried, but I don't know if I like the feel of the 600 series in an iron. At the same time, I'm not suprised, as every fitting I've had has pointed me to heavier iron shafts due to a tendency to get quick.

Today at my lesson I had my pro put the launch monitor in clubfitting mode and hit 10 balls each with the J15DF/Steelfiber i95 7i and the J15DF/Recoil 95 7i, to see which one is better. And the numbers don't lie - 4 yds more carry on average with the Steelfiber, including all mishits. And when you go to the 5 best with each, the difference goes to 7 yards - that's almost a whole extra club.

The numbers don't lie, the Steelfiber i95 stiff is a better shaft for me than the Recoil 95 F4. Slightly stiffer feel overall, but still a very smooth feeling shaft.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I still have the i95's stiff, soft stepped once in my current irons. I really like the ball flight and how easy it is to manipulate the flight when needed. When I go for my iron fitting in a few months I'll be real curious to see the numbers and if any other shaft can knock these out.

This is exactly what I needed to hear. Having played both what would you say would compare PXi 5.5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say i95 Reg hard-stepped plays very similar to PXi 5.5. This has been my personal experience.

LB

I hadn't hit the regular flex i95 before, and I kept hearing all of these guys with swing speed similar to me were playing regular vs stiff so I went over to the shop yesterday and compared the two. I found that I like the extra feel I get out of the regular flex, but it just doesn't feel as stable and conversely, it actually feels less smooth to me for some reason. Numbers were fairly similar (when taking into account distance differences between heads - the i95 regular had a JPX-850 head on it, where the i95 stiff has a Titleist 714 CB head, so predictably there was a club or so distance difference).

As such, I contacted the club builder and suggested soft stepping the stiff flex once. I think this will give me a little better feel without losing much stability. We'll see what he says, as apparently Bridgestone mandates that they build them on site so he has to talk to the rep (club builder checks all specs on receipt and makes adjustments as needed).

EDIT: He's going to order them soft stepped once. Huzzah!

Last edited:
I play the i95s in Stiff soft stepped 1x and love them. Played the same set up in my KBS Tours before the switch. Iron swing speed is in the mid to high 80s with a quick transition.

I play the i95s in Stiff soft stepped 1x and love them. Played the same set up in my KBS Tours before the switch. Iron swing speed is in the mid to high 80s with a quick transition.

Sounds like you're similar to me then. My 6i is 84-86mph with a more moderate transition, driver is around 100mph or so.

Yes. About the same.
I have gained a few yards with these shafts and improved my dispersion. Also got some elbow relief which is why I made the switch in the first place.

Awesome. I have experienced largely the same in my limited time with the demos and fitting. There's no reverberation at all when you thin one badly, chunk it, etc. You still feel it, but it's dampened significantly.

I hadn't hit the regular flex i95 before, and I kept hearing all of these guys with swing speed similar to me were playing regular vs stiff so I went over to the shop yesterday and compared the two. I found that I like the extra feel I get out of the regular flex, but it just doesn't feel as stable and conversely, it actually feels less smooth to me for some reason. Numbers were fairly similar (when taking into account distance differences between heads - the i95 regular had a JPX-850 head on it, where the i95 stiff has a Titleist 714 CB head, so predictably there was a club or so distance difference).

I'm reading this as the reg flex felt less smooth than the stiff to you, correct? I have the i95 in reg flex and absolutely love it. I've thought about trying stiff in my next set. Driver SS of 103

I'm reading this as the reg flex felt less smooth than the stiff to you, correct? I have the i95 in reg flex and absolutely love it. I've thought about trying stiff in my next set. Driver SS of 103

Correct. My wording sucked lol

Yeah, I found that similarly to the Recoil 95 stiff, I felt the flex too much in the regular flex i95. But at the same time, I feel like the stiff is overkill. Soft stepping seems like a good way to split the difference, IMO - keep some of that stability while getting a little feel back. My speed is similar to yours, perhaps a few ticks slower.

Aerotech SteelFiber Shaft Thread

Keep in mind you'd have to soft-step a Stiff flex 3x to get to an equivalent Regular flex. My 6i SS is 86mph, Driver SS 98-103mph and I ended up with i95 Reg Hard-Stepped 1x.

LB

Been reading up on shafts and these still have me intrigued. i need to go demo these in some clubs

Been reading up on shafts and these still have me intrigued. i need to go demo these in some clubs

I know someone that has some that you can try.

I know someone that has some that you can try.

Hmm #callout a guy and beat him with his own clubs??? That could be cruel

Have the i95's and love them. Smooth, stable and minimizes fatigue as the round progresses.

Hmm #callout a guy and beat him with his own clubs??? That could be cruel

One of us is still undefeated in #THPCallouts and his name doesn't rhyme with blog

Back