The Cruise Thread

I am currently looking at cruising during Feb 2016. Royal Carribean currently has a BOGO 50% off sale going on till the end of the week.

I am currently looking at cruising during Feb 2016. Royal Carribean currently has a BOGO 50% off sale going on till the end of the week.

Send a PM to Canes first. Although with it being that close, his deals may not be available.

Send a PM to Canes first. Although with it being that close, his deals may not be available.

I was just looking through my emails from last time I spoke with him actually.

Tough decision, 4 night bahamas through RC from Orlando... or Norwegian from Miami(which everyone says to avoid) with drink package included for about $100 more pp

I was just looking through my emails from last time I spoke with him actually.

Tough decision, 4 night bahamas through RC from Orlando... or Norwegian from Miami(which everyone says to avoid) with drink package included for about $100 more pp

I did a shorter RC to the Bahamas and was happy, but it was my first cruise so I had nothing to compare it to.

I always think it's funny when they call Port Canaveral Orlando. They aren't close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have any experience with Viking River cruises? I lived in Europe for 2 years in the late 90's and wanna had back next year. I think the would be a lot of fun.

this is something I've always been interested in trying. I've read good things about Erie Canal cruises as well.

My Christmas cruise is booked. Can't wait, the kids are going to have a blast

Several cruises with NCL - we love them! Last was 10-day Mediterranean on the Norwegian Epic. Barcelona - Naples - Rome - Florence - Cannes - Marseilles - Barcelona. Fantastic cruise line, amazing sites. Great stops. Barcelona moved up to one of my favorite cities on the planet. It's so much fun there. We stayed at the W on the water for 3 days before the cruise started.

One thing to keep in mind though when booking rooms is proximity of your room to the night life areas. Our initial room during one of our Bahamas NCL cruises was an aft-facing balcony, right below the deck above. Said deck above had nightly dance parties from like 11 - who knows when. Wifey couldn't sleep because of the bass, and short of simply joining them up there (which we did do one night...), we asked to change rooms. Customer service was over the top helpful and we got a different balcony room.

I hear that the Disney cruises are amazing. We'll be looking to do one of those soon. Next up is their Aulani resort though in January. Can't wait! I hear it's great.

Had to bring this thread back up as I am heading out for my first cruise in about a month. Question for those that have been on cruises. What does beer and/or mixed drinks typically cost on the ship? Just wondering if the $56/day drink package is worth pre purchasing or not?

Had to bring this thread back up as I am heading out for my first cruise in about a month. Question for those that have been on cruises. What does beer and/or mixed drinks typically cost on the ship? Just wondering if the $56/day drink package is worth pre purchasing or not?

To me its worth it. It depends how much soda and other things you drink. The costs add up quickly, but I would check with your cruise person and see if you have any credits to use.

Whats the $56 get ya?

I know when we went u can rack of $56 quickly cause drinks are expensive (both the grownup kind and sodas)

When we did it with RC it was well worth it. The drink prices were pretty comparable with what you would see at a nice restaurant or bar, so drinks would add up in a hurry. For me it was worth the price just to know it was covered and you could grab one whenever you wanted without stressing if it was really worth the 7 bucks.

Whats the $56 get ya?

I know when we went u can rack of $56 quickly cause drinks are expensive (both the grownup kind and sodas)

On our RC cruise, that was about the price of the package that included everything but premium drinks, wine, beer, soda, liquor, bottled water.

It was kinda annoying how they would add things in and out of the packages. THe cheap soda package included bottled water, but the more expensive beer and soda package didn't, but the higher liquor, beer and soda package did.

I did the beer package, since I don't drink many liquor drinks, but if I went again I would do the whole shebang.

Whats the $56 get ya?

Will be drinking mostly water and adult beverages I assume. Neither of these options include bottled water that I see.

So its $58/day
and that gets you premium cocktails, frozen drinks, beer, wine by the glass, soda and a free souvenir cup!

$46/day gets you beer, wine and soda/juice

Will be drinking mostly water and adult beverages I assume. Neither of these options include bottled water that I see.

So its $58/day
and that gets you premium cocktails, frozen drinks, beer, wine by the glass, soda and a free souvenir cup!

$46/day gets you beer, wine and soda/juice

Id take that $58 deal every day, like I said at $8-$12 a drink you get there fast, drink alcohol and soda!

The last time we went on one, it was way worth it with the amount of soda/tea we drank!

I'd do the $58. I'm a Beer guy, but ended up coveting my wife's Rum Runners and such when we were on the ISland and by the pool. The beer selection was lacking at most of the bars. So unless you are a Bud Light guy or the like, you will probably be ready to move on to something else like I was. A man can only have so many Heinekens and Stellas

Id take that $58 deal every day, like I said at $8-$12 a drink you get there fast, drink alcohol and soda!

Have to agree with Mike on this one!

P.S. When we went with Disney a year ago, they don't care if you bring on alcohol in your carry on. SO, I had two bottles of rum and some whisky shooters that fit in my shoes. Pop and juice was free, so all I had to do was bring my own tumbler cup, fill up my cup with my favorite pop and fill the rest with my drink of choice.

I've been on three cruises--two with Royal Caribbean (Sovereign of the Seas and Majesty of the Seas) and one with Norwegian (Norwegian Dawn).
The first one on Royal Caribbean was the most fun because it was the most formal. Dinners were black tie, and since that's not how I often dine in my normal life, I really enjoyed it. Everything was just a little on the classy side, and everything was organized on a schedule.

Each successive cruise became more casual, and that made them less fun for me. I'd rather just go to Vegas.

Thanks everyone, I have heard horror stories of getting $700 bills under the door so I pretty much planned on the $58 package but thought I'd ask. It seems like it will be less stressful just to get it and not worry about. We are doing a 4 night Royal Caribbean and Bahamas. I'm excited, always been something I wanted to do at least once and seems like the perfect amount of days for a couple first timers.

Thanks everyone, I have heard horror stories of getting $700 bills under the door so I pretty much planned on the $58 package but thought I'd ask. It seems like it will be less stressful just to get it and not worry about. We are doing a 4 night Royal Caribbean and Bahamas. I'm excited, always been something I wanted to do at least once and seems like the perfect amount of days for a couple first timers.

When are you going?

Do you get motion sick at all?

Leaving in about a month, and No.

Ok...so, just an FYI as the cruise we did last year was at the end of January. The Winter months typically have rougher seas, so be prepared for that. It's not always THAT bad, but it was for us. I was ok, as I don't get motion sick either, but I had to fight it while trying to get to sleep. My wife and youngest daughter did get sick.

Hopefully you have smooth seas, but you might take some Dramamine with you and/or some motion sickness bands, just to be on the safe side.

I went with my wifes family for the first time last summer. I had fun, but it wasn't my ideal vacation. I want to do another with just the wife and I, see if it isn't a bit more fun without the stress and constant need to make others happy.

Pretty sure I went on the same cruise you're about to go on back in September. To echo everyone else here, yes, the drink package is worth it, but to add one thing. Put a $1 tip on every drink, and try to get to know at least one bartender. I had a family member work on a ship and that's a great way to get better service at the bar and stronger drinks.

I'm resurrecting an old thread.

Has anyone done the Carnival Caribbean cruise out of Galveston?

Are the excursions worth it? Is there much to do in Cozumel or Yucatan (Progresso)?

What is the best way to get from Houston to Galveston?

Back