I'm Pulling my arms in at impact

Good Stuff

Reaction score
Handicap
Transition
What would be a good drill to stop doing this and don't say swing out and away. Mentally I want to pull my arms in at impact thinking that I'm getting more power this way and therefore cutting across the ball.

What would be a good drill to stop doing this and don't say swing out and away. Mentally I want to pull my arms in at impact thinking that I'm getting more power this way and therefore cutting across the ball.

I wish I could give you some more useful advice, but I play with a guy that has been doing this lately and he has had one heck of a time getting out of it. What our instructor has him doing is ensuring that he is straightening his arms through impact to get the feel of extending through the ball and to keep his elbows in front of him. When he pulls his arms in, he tends to come into impact with his elbows closer to his sides, so keeping both elbows in front of him at all times has helped him some.

That's funny that you say that because right after I typed the post I was in the garage working on it. I took small swings not trying to get the club head in to out but just trying to get my elbows away from my body. We may be on to something.

You short arm your swing to compensate for other flaws. Typically it's due to the lack of lower body rotation. If you swing out and away with a full hip release the issue will go away

But if you don't like that you can try placing your feet together and making swings. Start small and gradually get up to a full swing. You are looking for a straight or slight draw with this drill. Push fades, tops and slices mean you're still short arming. Hope this helps

My pro has me setup with the butt of the club almost touching my belt buckle.I feel like I can never swing out at it, almost like crowding the ball.He told me the hands of good golfers always return to the same position at impact.Not out away from me.His emphasis is consistency
Is this wrong or right?

My pro has me setup with the butt of the club almost touching my belt buckle.I feel like I can never swing out at it, almost like crowding the ball.He told me the hands of good golfers always return to the same position at impact.Not out away from me.His emphasis is consistency
Is this wrong or right?

Yes the hands return to the same position but that doesn't mean the motion can't be in to out. The hips clear and this creates the room you need to swing. But be sure your hand position is natural and not forced. If the arms are hanging from the shoulders, the hands will fall into position naturally. This of course requires the right amount of knee flex and hip flex.

Yes the hands return to the same position but that doesn't mean the motion can't be in to out. The hips clear and this creates the room you need to swing. But be sure your hand position is natural and not forced. If the arms are hanging from the shoulders, the hands will fall into position naturally. This of course requires the right amount of knee flex and hip flex.

Thanks.That post is way to advanced for me now Tadashi.But I think this is where he has me headed.Been 10 lessons and I haven't hit a ball yet.

You short arm your swing to compensate for other flaws. Typically it's due to the lack of lower body rotation. If you swing out and away with a full hip release the issue will go away

But if you don't like that you can try placing your feet together and making swings. Start small and gradually get up to a full swing. You are looking for a straight or slight draw with this drill. Push fades, tops and slices mean you're still short arming. Hope this helps

This drill is what my teacher has me do as I too suffer from something similar, albeit my flaw is the left elbow collapsing on the downswing. A big part that we work on is posture and arms hanging natural as Tadashi says because without that then I crowd the ball and get steep so that the collapsing is the only way to return to the ball. I've really been focusing on the posture, knee flex, etc. this winter and that is helping a lot with my making solid contact as the improper set-up is the cause of the problem that manifests with the collapsing/pulling arms in.

​Thanks for the help guys.

I hit the range today with some drills to work on and two things seemed to affect my ball striking. First thing was a tip I took from Tiger Woods book How I Play The Game. I concentrated on taking the club straight back on the take away. The other thing was I found that if I took the club straight back too far I would start to lean back away from my target. I tried to take it straight back until it felt it was going to start pulling me off the ball and then I would take the club to the top. If I didn't take it back too far I could maintain my balance much better as I started my down swing.

Thanks.That post is way to advanced for me now Tadashi.But I think this is where he has me headed.Been 10 lessons and I haven't hit a ball yet.
Am I reading that right,,,,10 lessons and you have yet to hit a ball during a lesson???? Call me crazy but that seems absurd.

So what my pro has me do is watch a rugby player pass the ball. So the movement is exactly the same on the down swing. BTW i suffer from the same issue of pulling my arms in. Try it with no ball in front just practice swings. You should be clipping the grass everytime if you doing it correctly

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I love the golf swing, I struggle in that I need to pull my arms in at impact and others have the complete opposite issue.

I hit the range today with some drills to work on and two things seemed to affect my ball striking. First thing was a tip I took from Tiger Woods book How I Play The Game. I concentrated on taking the club straight back on the take away. The other thing was I found that if I took the club straight back too far I would start to lean back away from my target. I tried to take it straight back until it felt it was going to start pulling me off the ball and then I would take the club to the top. If I didn't take it back too far I could maintain my balance much better as I started my down swing.

I wouldn't suggest this. Find something you can slide the clubshaft back and forth on, such as the front of bench, a 2x4 on top of two buckets, etc. Take the club back along it and notice that even though the shaft continues to point at the target line the clubhead comes up, back and in, immediately from the start. You're swinging on a tilted plane not a vertical one (i.e. a wall).

From my experience golfers who pull in their arms do so to shorten the swing radius in an attempt to keep from hitting the ground (fat shot). Try keeping your back arm straight through out the swing, you can't do it but it will push your lead arm straight and give structure to your arms.

Back