Stay away from the things and places where you used to smoke. Coffee and a smoke in the morning? Orange Juice instead. While you are driving? gum. Steer clear of candy and sweets because food will start tasting better soon, and that's a whole different battle...

Don't get discouraged if you keep reaching for a cigarette in certain situations, for years I would reach into the car center console for a pack. Also, to this day 18 years later, I had find myself thinking "It'll be great to get home and have a scotch and a cigarette", I stopped drinking 25 years ago. The mind is a funny thing.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

How you doing Wonton? All going good?

Things are great! Thanks for checking in. My cravings has almost disappeared. But to test myself a little, I stood around smokers to test my will power. I'm doing a lot better than I thought I would!

on halloween it will be 3 years since I quit cold turkey.
The key is never to cheat. Having 4 smokes a day is not quiting (as my buddy thinks). I quit twice before (for around 8 months each time), and after quiting I thought I was strong enough to have one here and there when drinking. Wrong. You have to treat this like an alcoholic does alcohol. You can never have another one as long as you live, or eventually you will fail.

Myself I immersed myself in hobbies. Practicing golf, rediscovered reading books, and got addicted to video games on my phone (as my hands always have to do something).
The realization that I was killing myself was a factor, but I always justified smoking somehow.

After 2 weeks the cravings kinda diminished a bit, and after 6 months after hacking up alot of black stuff... I started to feel better. But I will warn everyone, that I still crave cigarettes, and I know if I even have one I will start again.

Good luck to anyone trying. Don't give up!!! If you fail, try again. Honestly it took me like 15 tries before I succeeded.

Also I never tried to stay away from smoking or smokers, just mind over matter. lol, I still let my roommate smoke in my house, and it really doesn't bother me.

Now that I've quit, I don't feel guilty for those expensive golf things for myself. At $17/ pack in Canada that extra money added up quick.

Keep at it WONTON!

Last edited:
Glad to hear you're doing well bud! Keep on keepin' on!

Keep it up! Best life change you could make!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good work Wonton.

The actual physical addiction only lasts 72 hours or so. The rest is all mental. Each day gets a little easier - but you will be tempted. Its just the nature of it. Remember - the only thing that a cigarette does is make you want another one - so don't fall for the 'just one' argument.

You are doing great! Keep it up.

I have quit twice. The first time I used gum when I got the urge then spit it out when the urge was gone. (someone gave me a cigar on the course and I was back smoking again) This last time I just said that's it and quit cold turkey. I'll not smoke again. Good luck and remember how much better you will feel!

Use the money you will save to play more golf. :)

Cold turkey is the only way to quit. Takes 21 days to break a habit. When I went cold turkey, mind you it was easier for me because I still smoke cigars, I carried Tic Tacs. Everytime I had the urge for a cigarette, I popped a Tic Tac. Cigarette free for 7 1/2 years.

Good luck...it takes discipline.

Yep, I did the cold turkey thing in 2002 and it was tough for a week, better the second week and I was home free in three weeks. This was after having smoked for 20+ years, at least two packs a day. Stopped for 5 years.

In 2007 on a all guys fishing trip, with drinking involved, I smoked one night playing cards and by the end of the week long trip I was smoking a pack a day when I got home. Still at a pack to a pack and half today. Have to stop again sooner or later, and it is tough, but I proved it can be done and someday I'll do it again.

Hang tough, and you can make it!

Now, Five months strong without the cancer stick. I think I'm officially done with it!
No more random coughing, food taste better, no more stinky clothes and no more spending $6 a day.

Quitting smoking may have been the toughest thing that I ever did. I smoked at least a pack of unfiltered Camels a day from 1962 to 1994.

If you're a nicotine-addicted smoker as I was, the patch might help. You start off with big patches of nicotine through the skin, and the dose gets gradually smaller .

If your addiction is behavioral rather than physical--a habitual smoker--then counselors and support groups would work better.

Now, Five months strong without the cancer stick. I think I'm officially done with it!
No more random coughing, food taste better, no more stinky clothes and no more spending $6 a day.

AWESOME. Treat yourself to a round of golf at a favorite course. $6 / day * 150 days = $900. That's a nice round of golf.

AWESOME. Treat yourself to a round of golf at a favorite course. $6 / day * 150 days = $900. That's a nice round of golf.

Possibly new clubs with $900... So much to choose from!

That is awesome news! I have been trying to cut down(and have gone from a pack a day to a pack every 3-4 days so far) and eventually quit myself.
Gotta ask what was the biggest help for you?

That is awesome news! I have been trying to cut down(and have gone from a pack a day to a pack every 3-4 days so far) and eventually quit myself.
Gotta ask what was the biggest help for you?

I've tried to quit numerous times and the difference between then and now would be just the pure will power. I know that sounds cheesy but I stopped making excuses and trying to justify it. I just woke up that morning of August 2nd (not a significant date) and said, "Ok... I REALLY need to stop." So I did.
No real method(s) either. I just quit cold-turkey this time and it worked. The first week, I did go through several bags of sunflower seeds but after that first week, I didn't have the strong oral fixation anymore. Since, I've been just trying to keep myself busy.
For me, it was such a habitual/routine thing that if I broke the cycle of my normal day, I knew I woudn't think about it as much.
Another cliche sentence but If I can do it, you can too. Good luck, friend!

congrats! treat yourself to something as others have said but hang in there because it only takes one to set you back. don't ask me how I know. :act-up: I'm smoke free since 4/3/2002 but that was not always the case prior. I'd do real well for months or even years then have one in a moment of weakness and be right back to the old habit within a week. Now, when I get the old craving I ask myself "why do I want that cigarette. I don't smoke?" Dumb...but it works for me.

Congratulations!!!

I've tried to quit numerous times and the difference between then and now would be just the pure will power. I know that sounds cheesy but I stopped making excuses and trying to justify it. I just woke up that morning of August 2nd (not a significant date) and said, "Ok... I REALLY need to stop." So I did.
No real method(s) either. I just quit cold-turkey this time and it worked. The first week, I did go through several bags of sunflower seeds but after that first week, I didn't have the strong oral fixation anymore. Since, I've been just trying to keep myself busy.
For me, it was such a habitual/routine thing that if I broke the cycle of my normal day, I knew I woudn't think about it as much.
Another cliche sentence but If I can do it, you can too. Good luck, friend!

I went through the same sort of scenario that you did, only a long time ago. I was a 2 pack a day smoker, and I'd tried to quit a few times before, but without any real commitment. Then in 1976, after 12 years of smoking regularly (I started with I was 16), I looked at the half pack in my pocket and decided that when that was gone, I was done. I made those last 10 cigarettes last for 3 more days, and I never touched another one after that. It took about a month to really get over the craving after every meal, and I avoided alcohol for a few months because those were the worst times for me. I did not snack much, although I think my mealtime appetite increased and I did gain some weight, although that had always been an issue for me, even when smoking. The one thing I learned is that for me, quitting only worked when I was doing it for myself. I had to really want it for me, selfishly.

I started getting out in the mountains and hiking more and found that my endurance got better and better. I recovered faster after exertion. Colds didn't linger. No morning cough. At some point I started having a few nightmares, but the scary part was that in the dream I had started smoking again, and the relief when I woke up and found it was only a dream was exhilarating. I've been happily nicotine free since 1976.

Last edited:
Congratulations!!!

I went through the same sort of scenario that you did, only a long time ago. I was a 2 pack a day smoker, and I'd tried to quit a few times before, but without any real commitment. Then in 1974, after 12 years of smoking regularly (I started with I was 16), I looked at the half pack in my pocket and decided that when that was gone, I was done. I made those last 10 cigarettes last for 3 more days, and I never touched another one after that. It took about a month to really get over the craving after every meal, and I avoided alcohol for a few months because those were the worst times for me. I did not snack much, although I think my mealtime appetite increased and I did gain some weight, although that had always been an issue for me, even when smoking. The one thing I learned is that for me, quitting only worked when I was doing it for myself. I had to really want it for me, selfishly.

I started getting out in the mountains and hiking more and found that my endurance got better and better. I recovered faster after exertion. Colds didn't linger. No morning cough. At some point I started having a few nightmares, but the scary part was that in the dream I had started smoking again, and the relief when I woke up and found it was only a dream was exhilarating. I've been happily nicotine free since 1976.

Now, THAT's a nightmare!
Congratulations to you on your 40th year! That's great!

9 years already .... not 1 single cigarettes.

Ok. I'm trying yet again to kick this habit. It's a hard habit to break. Baby step it I guess.

I am not a smoker but I am a chain chewer, I quit for 3 days last year then went right back to it. I am going to quit in 2017.
I am sick of having this nasty unhealthy habit, problem is I do love it!!
When I quit I will get a little grouchy so dont be pissed at me if I am a little snippy at times lol

I quit about 3 years ago... used an E-Cig step down method and slowly but surely weened myself off. Started with the 30mg --> 24mg --> 18mg --> 12mg --> 6mg and by the 6mg ones I was only hitting the ecig about once every 4-6hours. Finally challenged myself to see how long I could go without hitting it and here I am 3 years later.

You guys can do it!!

I am not a smoker but I am a chain chewer, I quit for 3 days last year then went right back to it. I am going to quit in 2017.
I am sick of having this nasty unhealthy habit, problem is I do love it!!
When I quit I will get a little grouchy so dont be pissed at me if I am a little snippy at times lol

I need to do it too man. It's gotten expensive especially here in Dallas where it costs double what it was in KC.

I have taken control of my health by losing a ton of weight, but not my dipping.

I got sick in 2009 and it was the perfect time to quit. I remember the headaches I would get. I was in college at the time and my professor let me know my brain wasn't use to getting that much oxygen and it was causing headaches. I'm glad I quit probably one of the hardest things I've done but hang in there it does get better.

Back