Wedges - How Many Do You Test?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
It seems most of my golfing partners decide on their wedges by look and go into the store and pick them up. Do you test wedges? If so, how many brands and/or kinds do you test before buying?

I try to read reviews at minimum before buying. I'll also hit a friends if they have one I'm interested in. Then I buy. I've never really put them head to head or tested too much before buying.

I live in the middle of no where and my local course only carries callaway products so I bagged the MD2 wedges when I first started. After attending a Cleveland short game clinic I now love the RTX 2.0 wedges. They had almost every degree and bounce option available for demo at the clinic. Along with the bounce analyzer tool which helped me decide which wedges were best for my game.

If it's there I will test it, but my money will most likely go to one of three companies. Titleist, Cleveland, or Callaway.

Quite a few. I have played Pelz & Cleveland 588's for the last several years. Just ran a head to head between the MD3, 588's, 588 Rotex 2.0, & Pelz on a couple of monitors. They all spin well enough. Really no one spinnier than another. Becomes a matter of head shape, finish, sole grind and bounce for me. The Cleveland Rotex are the ones in the bag. Love the black vs white ball framing. Good question.. Thanks

I've seriously tested zero wedges in my golfing career. The PGA store has a small area for wedges, but honestly how much could you tell from such? I went with the W/S FG Tour TC's because I was getting the C200's. Before that I had the TM ATV's because they had decent reviews and could be had for cheap. I know almost nothing about grinds and bounce. The one thing I know is that Mike Vrska said - for him - more bounce is better, so if I'm looking at a loft and have bounce options, I'll grab the one with the higher bounce. I figure if it works for him, hopefully it'll work for me too.

I've not tested many wedges over my golfing life. That's probably a mistake on my part. I usually go with the best available from my favorite OEM in the bounce I desire.

I do not test them beyond a few different types of swings with them. I bought the PM grind on a whim and fell in love.

I've played either TaylorMade or Callaway wedges for quite some time. I don't test them. I trust both companies. I just read the release info & specs on them, then I see how they look to my eye before a purchase.

To be 100% honest, I don't think I would game any other brand besides the two I mentioned.

Interesting, but I don't think I have tested out any wedges before buying. I think it really comes down to look for me at address. Some have a bigger toe, or taller face or the offset is different. Basically the eye test. I think every wedge has their own MO so it comes down to which MO you side with for me.

i have had difficulty finding a facility that provides a sufficient testing area for wedges. you need somewhere you can make full swings, chips, pitches, and sand shots. the closest i've found is the annika academy here in orlando, but it's callaway or bust. the other wedge "fittings" i have done consisted of hitting on a doppler that doesn't read wedges very well, and making decisions based on looks and price. so for me the answer is 1. 1 brand tested.

I really haven't in the past. My GolfTec is having a short game clinic this weekend for $99 which includes getting fitted for a wedge (from one of 4 OEMs). I may have to check it out, I'm not sure how a wedge fitting would work.

Personally I try and read reviews then buy them and try them. If I don't like them I move on to the next set. Don't really have many choices to go and try them around me so I do the next best thing. Buy, try, sell, repeat until I find some I like.

None, i brought the rotex wedges i have from the shop without testing just by the reviews id read on here. I really need to find a way to try the MD3 wedges.

I usually test 2 or 3 different ones that are very similar across brands. I know what I want and what works for me in general.

THP reviews that lead to testing in stores. No better place then firsthand.

I haven't actually tested any either before buying. I did try hitting some different types of shots in th monitor bay but it wasn't much help. Monitor data wasn't useful but I could see how the club felt.

I'm thinking about it again now because I want to swap out my current 52 deg for something with a different sole /grind but I'm just guessing unless I can hit it under different conditions.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

It seems most of my golfing partners decide on their wedges by look and go into the store and pick them up. Do you test wedges? If so, how many brands and/or kinds do you test before buying?

this year alone im on my second set of wedges. i just retired the md3's i bought un tested. wayyyyy to light. i went and tested and was fitted for the mizuno s5 blue ion. they are sweet!

You mean not everyone have 10 spare wedges lying in the garage to tinker/switch like me??

THP reviews that lead to testing in stores. No better place then firsthand.

many a club i have tested has been based on whats being reviewed on thp

You mean not everyone have 10 spare wedges lying in the garage to tinker/switch like me??

i have probably 5-6 sets of wedges, all 52-60. lol

Wedges stay in the bag the longest for me it seems. I will buy blind as I have limited local selection but typically I will try to hit a few at THP events to get an idea of what is out there.

I give them the eye test to make sure they fit my eye but other than that I do not test them. I'll admit I give wedges the least thought and try to buy a model year or two older when they go on sale.

I don't test them....pretty much buy and try based on feedback here.

No testing im a feel player

Back