How to play when it's wet/muddy?

Well, I played in a tournament a couple years ago in some pretty nasty conditions. My first thought was unlike everyone's in the tournament was that the scores were going to balloon so I wasn't going to worry too much about that. My goal was to keep the ball in play. You want to minimize turf interaction with your club, so you want to leave your fairway woods and hybrids in the bag. Your goal is to get the ball off the ground. This means making contact with the ball first, so I played punch shots around the course. I played the ball back a bit in my stance even on full swings and only took full swings when I had a perfect lie. I ended up shooting even par net after completely scrubbing the first three holes getting used to the conditions. I wore rain gloves. The wind was blowing about 20 mph with gusts of around 35 mph. I watched the 13 handcappers shoot gross scores higher than mine. Someone did shoot a 75 gross. I placed 2nd.

If the course is wet, I go to the track instead.
Not always a good thing.
Unfortunately, I lose more bets at the ponies than I do on the golf course.

Because my major problem is a lack of distance, wet conditions lengthen the course which I don't need. However, because I am what some call a "sweeper", I suspect wet conditions has a lesser impact for me as opposed to a divot taker. However, to find the silver lining under the cloud, I do play better from wet sand.

For me there is nothing I can do other than accept the conditions of the course. At least, usually, I don't have to worry about the heat and sunblock lotion.

I usually play winter rules in these conditions, but I don't change anything with my swing.

It will always not be good when we hit the big ball first before the small ball, and this mistake is amplified in very wet or very dry conditions. I'll take chunks of mud anytime over the club bouncing off soil almost as hard as concrete.

Back