THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

Most likely not, I'll keep track of my progress by how close I hit it to the hole lol. For me this event is all about fun and great golf with good people, I will never let a competition disrupt my passion for golf again. If I make the big leagues so be it, I'll work as hard as I can to bring my best at that time, if I don't? so be it.
Good stuff man. I am not good enough at golf to get upset about any competition haha

what is the distance that you prefer to approach the green for par3,4,5s that give you a good chance at birdie

Par 3 anything inside 175 I feel confident I can hit the green and have a chance at birdie with two putt being the worse case.

par 4 and par 5 I like having 9i, pw, or GW. The 140 - 110 range is my preference. 70-90 is becoming more consistent

On par 3's, not much of choice if we're playing set tees :D My comfort range is 160 yds or less for par 3's though. On par 4/5's I try and setup an approach shot from 90-125 yds. The summer I got down to a single digit, I made sure the approach shots were in that wheel house for distance and I was able to setup easier puts than when I was outside of those distances. Of course my putting was better then too.

Since we have been hammering you guys with questions I think it is time to reverse the rolls.

What questions do you have for Kevin and I? Can be anything to do with the event or lead up really.

1.Once the team is solidified, will you have a schedule where you will ask the team to participate in a few pre-RR outings to get a better feel for the team and how to effectively utilize the strengths and minimize the weaknesses of the team ?

2. Will there be outside events leading to the RR to bond the team (IE beers and happy hour at the local Green Turtle, etc..) ?

I was thinking about this last night and interested to see what you all think, I coach ice hockey at the high school level and I like to write out practice plans for each practice. I do this for a couple reasons to keep track of what we have done but after the season and prepping for the next season I like to review the time table.

That brings me to this competition will you write out your practice plan and goals? If not how will you keep track of your progress as you prepare for this event?

I don't really have any specific goals for this event. I have goals for my game which should translate to getting me ready for this event. Since this is a competition, I have put together a game plan/management plan for the course to determine how I want to play the course and where I think my best chances are to press and where I should be conservative.

My golfing goal is to break 70. This has been my goal for the past few seasons; I have been close a few times but haven't been able to break the barrier. I think I know my game well enough to know where I need to work.

1. Iron play. I can hit the irons well, but my game is driven by hitting greens. When you only hit half the greens, breaking 70 is going to be very difficult. Need to tighten up my dispersion of shots. On the range, I work on hitting specific distances and being able to work the ball.
2. Short game. This is my nemesis on the golf course and can result in bogeys or worse depending on how on or off it is. I spend most of my time on this during practice. i work on landing the ball on a particular spot and getting consistent rollout. Unfortunately, my practice success doesn't always transfer to the course.

1.Once the team is solidified, will you have a schedule where you will ask the team to participate in a few pre-RR outings to get a better feel for the team and how to effectively utilize the strengths and minimize the weaknesses of the team ?

2. Will there be outside events leading to the RR to bond the team (IE beers and happy hour at the local Green Turtle, etc..) ?
It certainly won't be regimented schedules or anything like that. Keep it fun and encourage everyone to play and practice as often as possible. Family time will remain the priority for those that are selected. This is a fun event with a hell of a chance to experience true temper like no other amateur golfer has. Fun.
2. Depending on the spread of the entire team geographically obviously. But I don't see any reason format to involve anything more than THP time, and getting together with those that may be close.

I don't really have any specific goals for this event. I have goals for my game which should translate to getting me ready for this event. Since this is a competition, I have put together a game plan/management plan for the course to determine how I want to play the course and where I think my best chances are to press and where I should be conservative.

My golfing goal is to break 70. This has been my goal for the past few seasons; I have been close a few times but haven't been able to break the barrier. I think I know my game well enough to know where I need to work.

1. Iron play. I can hit the irons well, but my game is driven by hitting greens. When you only hit half the greens, breaking 70 is going to be very difficult. Need to tighten up my dispersion of shots. On the range, I work on hitting specific distances and being able to work the ball.
2. Short game. This is my nemesis on the golf course and can result in bogeys or worse depending on how on or off it is. I spend most of my time on this during practice. i work on landing the ball on a particular spot and getting consistent rollout. Unfortunately, my practice success doesn't always transfer to the course.
That's exactly the right way to look at it, your seasonal goals should naturally dovetail into this event.

I forgot that I won this hat, kinda fitting don't you think

c639ec5d416f2a07b9eec340cd2225ec.jpg

9ac22b1b1677b9369605758bd6885f7e.jpg

I was thinking about this last night and interested to see what you all think, I coach ice hockey at the high school level and I like to write out practice plans for each practice. I do this for a couple reasons to keep track of what we have done but after the season and prepping for the next season I like to review the time table.

That brings me to this competition will you write out your practice plan and goals? If not how will you keep track of your progress as you prepare for this event?

I have big goals this year. And I will attempt keep stats
I want to hit more gir this year ( think I only averaged maybe 5 last year. I want to get to at leadt 50%. And I want to get under 31 putts per round. Not earth shattering, but it would be a big improvement for me.

I have big goals this year. And I will attempt keep stats
I want to hit more gir this year ( think I only averaged maybe 5 last year. I want to get to at leadt 50%. And I want to get under 31 putts per round. Not earth shattering, but it would be a big improvement for me.
Don you have serious game and I have seen it first hand. Keep working at it and you will be a tough out in any format.

Like you, whether or not I have the good fortune to make the team, I want to be there to support our team. Let's make plans to travel there together. Who knows we might just be able to find a left handed golf course. We both know how rare they are.

Sounds good to me :D

1. First goal during the off season is to improve my flexibility and strength - I have already began this process with a 3 day a week per work out routine. Currently in process.

2. Second goal is to work on my wedge game and putting- this also in process but the results won't be visible until I'm hitting real shots and making actual putts on the course. I'm hitting practice targets fairly regularly but it takes actual golf to really measure. I do feel somewhat more comfortable but I'm not sure how that correlates yet.

3. Third goal is by using the first two goals to reduce my handicap by 3 strokes. Only time will tell!

Was able to get in 2 hours of practice today with some decent weather. Was hoping to go again tomorrow but not looking like mother nature is going to help out.

Wanna trade? Shaft fit recommends these:

d74731ba8a0d0e1aab462be2208fee4d.jpg

But I could do the five and a halfs I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next time we're out, I'll let you hit my clubs to see if you like them...although I'm a lefty so you may need to learn and swing on the other side...

Playing catch up I see. Hope to see you as a regular going forward.

Yep, read everyone of the 2003 posts to make sure I didn't miss anything. No skimming for me ;-)

So, I will finally be able to get to the range tomorrow to get some full swing practice. Still keeping up with the daily chipping and putting in the basement, but probably won't be able till play till next weekend at best (youngest son bday on Sunday and 30 degrees on Monday).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Funny, I'll be hitting the range on Monday to start the climb to get my game in shape for the RR. I've practiced in the past when it was actually snowing. The guy working the counter at the range just laughed and shook his head. And no, I wasn't under the covered stall but in one of the open stalls...

Funny, I'll be hitting the range on Monday to start the climb to get my game in shape for the RR. I've practiced in the past when it was actually snowing. The guy working the counter at the range just laughed and shook his head. And no, I wasn't under the covered stall but in one of the open stalls...

What range and time Jose?

Better than no golf at all but I understand your point. Conditions are very difficult.

Agreed. Working on putting in the basement in a few minutes while having the Golf channel playing in the background :D

Better pic on Tapatalk

7bf9e2c878bf6dbf68d8bf628a5eb772.jpg

What range and time Jose?

Even though I'm only a few minutes from NightHawk, it might be Arundel or Laurel. Time is TBD but I'm trying to aim maybe noonish...

and on a personal note, I'm finally caught up on this thread, LOL...

Looks like indoor practice today. High of 37 and windy!

Looks like indoor practice today. High of 37 and windy!

Where's your sense of adventure?

Who am I kidding? Foam balls and putting mat for me today also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I woke up this morning thinking about New Kent and some of my past rounds there, it's such a great venue for this event. The course offers a lot but demands a lot too, gonna be fun for all who make it to this show!

Well, it's not raining finally...now its snowing! This is the wettest winter I can remember, one positive, if I'm faced with a muddy 50yd pitch shot in July...I'm good to go!

Back